Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The next Spurs u23 game is on 6 November (with the last being on 19 October), and the one after that on 22 November.

So minimal playing time for the month after the last u23 game on 19 October

I'd hope that JM has moved White and Cirkin out of their u23 squad 'bubble' and into the first team bubble so that they can make an appearance in the next 2 EL games, probably off the bench.

Wait, what the fuck....

Are we REALLY forced to travel to freaking Belgium where 1 person in 100 has tested positive for COVID WITHIN LAST 2 WEEKS?!?!? That is absolutely absurdly high level, roughly 3x higher than in UK (where it already is high).

Who will be responsible if any of our players will catch COVID and will be out of 2 weeks of games and team training?!?!

I just can't wrap my head around it. I could see that they would be allowed to enter UK (and ONLY AFTER TESTING), but for our players, coaching and support staff. Just seems absurdly high risk.

Going to be interesting rotation over the next couple of weeks until the International break to juggle the squad between PL and EL matches.

Monday 26 Oct - Burnley (A) PL
Thursday 29 Oct - Antwerp (A) EL
Sunday 1 Nov - Brighton (H) PL
Thursday 5 Nov - Ludogrets (A) EL
Saturday 7 Nov - WBA (A) PL
International Break
Saturday 21 Nov - ManCity (A) PL

All these matches are probably winnable, provided we can keep rotating our squad such that we have 7 or 8 players fresh in every match and don't over play Kane, Son, Hojbjerg and other key players.

After the international break in November/December Spurs have a number of tough PL matches with ManCity, Chelsea, Woolwich. Liverpool, Leicester and Wolves once a week with EL games mid week. So we will need to focus the squad on those PL games, and hope we have taken most of the points we need in the next 2 EL games v Antwerp and Ludogrets which is almost enough to get through the group.

Can see the squad being almost split into two with a core PL team and core EL team (similar to the team which played LASK, but maybe weaker with the likes of Hojbjerg and Reguilon being saved for PL).
Goons complaining that their team yesterday looked out of puff ("Why the eff did Arteta play such a strong team in the Europey???")

I trust JM to get the rotation right in a way that Poch never did. The worst example of that was when JM's Chavs beat a very lacklustre Poch Spurs in that tedious final. 3 days before we'd played away in Europe, strong team FFS. Chavs had had a week off, no CL that week. Even if Eriksen's free kick had gone in off the bar on 5 mins, we were so toothless I wouldn't have been confident of holding on.

Real chance this season for teams not in Europe to finish high in the table. I'd rate Leeds to be there, but Bielsa too is terrible with rotation and his teams are dead on their feet come March.

Wait, what the fuck....

Are we REALLY forced to travel to freaking Belgium where 1 person in 100 has tested positive for COVID WITHIN LAST 2 WEEKS?!?!? That is absolutely absurdly high level, roughly 3x higher than in UK (where it already is high).

Who will be responsible if any of our players will catch COVID and will be out of 2 weeks of games and team training?!?!

I just can't wrap my head around it. I could see that they would be allowed to enter UK (and ONLY AFTER TESTING), but for our players, coaching and support staff. Just seems absurdly high risk.

UEFA going ahead with EL and CL was always high risk given covid.

Mitigating factors are that Spurs probably charter a plane which has been thoroughly cleaned, go through a VIP like part of airport they land in and go to a hotel selected for having been thoroughly cleaned on a daily basis, travel by a clean coach to any stadium/training ground etc, So in reality they hardly come into contact with anything Belgian !

Biggest risk is one of the opposition players or staff - but these should be tested before match, so chances of any of them having covid is small.

So risk thoroughly mitigated, but it is still there.

Possibly same level of risk as you or I walking along a pavement - cars are known to mount pavement and kill pedestrians but it doesn't happen often enough to worry most people walking on a pavement/cross a road etc

why are we playing thus / sat? 5th of nov we play in bulgaria, after which we play away in west bromwich on the 7th! surely that will be changed?

it makes you wonder whether any other teams play 2 games in 3 days eh

why are we playing thus / sat? 5th of nov we play in bulgaria, after which we play away in west bromwich on the 7th! surely that will be changed?

Yet it it seems to get glossed over when it happens to us.

City play 3 games in eight days and we see articles bemoaning their awful fixture pile up

UEFA going ahead with EL and CL was always high risk given covid.

Mitigating factors are that Spurs probably charter a plane which has been thoroughly cleaned, go through a VIP like part of airport they land in and go to a hotel selected for having been thoroughly cleaned on a daily basis, travel by a clean coach to any stadium/training ground etc, So in reality they hardly come into contact with anything Belgian !

Biggest risk is one of the opposition players or staff - but these should be tested before match, so chances of any of them having covid is small.

So risk thoroughly mitigated, but it is still there.

Possibly same level of risk as you or I walking along a pavement - cars are known to mount pavement and kill pedestrians but it doesn't happen often enough to worry most people walking on a pavement/cross a road etc

Yea, I get that we are using mitigating factors.

But it's still much higher chance of catching something than getting hit by a car while crossing the road. That was my whole point. In Belgium the chances are TOO high.

It is 1 in 100 with confirmed cases. That means that even if all the opposite players and staff are tested, there still is chance as -
1) tests are not done and results not received momentarily, there is still time lag.
2) even if player tests are all clear when it is taken right before the game, it's still possible that virus could be just recently transmitted from family member to player / staff member with last handshake/hug and test might not show it. or virus particles can be on players clothes/ in cars whatever.

Say there are 50 people who actually come into contact with our players and staff face to face. Then for every such person there are another 50 in some back-office who might not have immediate contact, but have contact with those who have contact with our staff. And say all of those 100 are in contact with 5 people (wifes, gfs, children, parents, drivers, shop assistants etc). That brings the circle to 500. Out of them there is probability that 5 might carry COVID.

Sorry, does not seem to be reasonable risk. In your example it would be like instead of going out to cross the street... but only in city where 50% of drivers would go around without drivers lisence and 33% cars would have not passed tecnical inspections properly.

Would make 1000x more sense to hold the game in neutral ground in say Germany where all of the opposite team staff should arrive 2-3 days in prior and would be tested multiple times without any outside contact whatsoever.

It will get changed but as it hasn't been selected for normal Sky/BT slots, it'll be probably be played on either the Sunday midday/evening PPV slot. I would imagine these times will be announced shortly.

It will get changed but as it hasn't been selected for normal Sky/BT slots, it'll be probably be played on either the Sunday midday/evening PPV slot. I would imagine these times will be announced shortly.
There’s to be a vote on PPV on Tuesday. I expect it to be either cancelled or reduced to £10.

But yes I agree it will be moved to Sunday as is the norm with teams in the Europa, whether it’s on TV or not.

The year we stand a great chance of winning the Europa, and Real Madrid are doing their best to end up in it.
They could easily finish bottom.

That's a tough group.

Inter
Shakhtar
Real Madrid
Gladbach

To be honest if they end up in it, then it just means they are shit. I fancy beating them now. They wouldn't be top 6 in the PL at the moment.

There'll be some good teams that will drop down from the CL to Europa, but who cares if they do? I don't remember being concerned about Real Madrid when we played in the CL, I don't see why we'd be concerned about them if they dropped to the EL either. The only team I don't fancy facing at the moment is Bayern, and somehow I don't think they'll drop ro Europa.

How many points do you normally need to qualify from the group? As we could do with already qualifying by the time we play Lask on December 3rd, winning our next 2 games would see us on 9 points, would that be enough to qualify?

So an ideal scenario is we win our next 2 games against Ludogorets, Then Antwerp win 1 and draw 1 of there next 2 games against Lask and the group will be as below, then to Qualify all we need to do is not Lose away to Lask which falls between our Chelsea and Gooners game in the PL.

Antwerp 10
Spurs 9
Lask 4
Ludogorets 0

Edit - I guess its even better if Antwerp were to Draw both games then the table would be

Spurs - 9
Antwerp - 8
Lask - 5
Ludogorets - 0

But in this situation if we lost to Lask and Antwerp win the table would be

Antwerp - 11
Spurs - 9
Lask -8
Ludogorets - 0

Then it would go down to the last game and we would just need to beat Antwerp at home to go through , any way lets just win the next 2 games and then see how the table looks, regardless of the results if we were to go full strength at home against Antwerp we can get the win

Last edited:
Unless we play our first team in every game, lets give up on this quest.

Looks like our so-called reserves are useless.

I thought Bergy wanted to play for us !
Dele is just not bothering.
Bale is unfit, so why is he playing?
Midfield is totally blunt.

With this debacle, let's concentrate on offloading some of the dead wood and winning the league with the replacements.

Unless we play our first team in every game, lets give up on this quest.

Looks like our so-called reserves are useless.

I thought Bergy wanted to play for us !
Dele is just not bothering.
Bale is unfit, so why is he playing?
Midfield is totally blunt.

With this debacle, let's concentrate on offloading some of the dead wood and winning the league with the replacements.
We only need to win 2 more games and chances are we are through to the KO stages which start in Feb, why would we give up on this tournament after 1 defeat?

We only need to win 2 more games and chances are we are through to the KO stages which start in Feb, why would we give up on this tournament after 1 defeat?
Because if our first teamers get injured in those games, the Muppets from last night will play in the League!
I have NEVER been so ashamed of our team as first 45 mins yesterday.
Play them again and if we get knocked out , then sell them as disgraced!

Back
Top Bottom