Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No mate just an old school supporter who has been worn down by the lies and the false promises of ambition..
I'm guessing you are a lot younger than me, and think that this pretending to compete is real ambition.
I'm honestly not having a go, my nephew is the same its just a different generation who have been in my opinion brain washed.
Levy has them believing we will win things despite the clear evidence of us going backwards. Not long ago they were telling us we don't need to worry about liverpool apparently. So don't be swayed by the majority. They have been proven very wrong so far.

For me in order of preference

Champions League
Premier League
Europa League
FA Cup
League Cup

So to say that Jose won't take it seriously is absurd...... The way he celebrated at the end of today's match tells you everything you need to know about how seriously he takes European (and all) Competition.
Could cost him his job. We don't have the squad to cope with EL & a top 4 race. So if he goes all out for the EL we will suffer in the league. Levy might not accept another season of no CL football.

Could cost him his job. We don't have the squad to cope with EL & a top 4 race. So if he goes all out for the EL we will suffer in the league. Levy might not accept another season of no CL football.

We definitely have the squad for the EL and top 4.

In the group stages we can easily play a mainly back-up squad with and rotate in some starters.

No reason that a team such as can't be the basis for a EL squad to face the likes of the teams we will see in the group stage:

Gazzaniga
Tanganga-Dier-Kim/New CB-Sess
Moura-Fernandes-Winks
Lamela-New Striker-Alli

Replace any guys sold with their replacements brought in and accounts for Skipp being on loan

That still leaves a EPL starting 11 of something like:

Lloris
New RB-Toby-Sanchez-Davies
GLC-Hojbjerg-Ndombele
Berg-Kane-Son

Once the knockout stage comes in you can put more of the starters in there and still not over run them even with League Cup and FA Cup games. The only question I would have is whether that starting 11 is top 4 quality but that has nothing to do with EL and everything to do with us not having/bringing in enough quality.

We definitely have the squad for the EL and top 4.

In the group stages we can easily play a mainly back-up squad with and rotate in some starters.

No reason that a team such as can't be the basis for a EL squad to face the likes of the teams we will see in the group stage:

Gazzaniga
Tanganga-Dier-Kim/New CB-Sess
Moura-Fernandes-Winks
Lamela-New Striker-Alli

Replace any guys sold with their replacements brought in and accounts for Skipp being on loan

That still leaves a EPL starting 11 of something like:

Lloris
New RB-Toby-Sanchez-Davies
GLC-Hojbjerg-Ndombele
Berg-Kane-Son

Once the knockout stage comes in you can put more of the starters in there and still not over run them even with League Cup and FA Cup games. The only question I would have is whether that starting 11 is top 4 quality but that has nothing to do with EL and everything to do with us not having/bringing in enough quality.
Hmm. Not as convinced as you with the squad we have. Don't rate any full backs or DM's. Let alone rotating for EL & league. Kane will either be flogged to death as well or we rest him which obviously weakens us.
We are ok for CBs & AMs but a bit light in other area's. I still feel strongly that a Europa run harms you in the league but I get you feeling differently.
But we do agree our best 11 isn't good enough for top 4. We will need others to play crap to have a chance.

I don't get people who love ENIC/levy now saying how important trophies are. I thought it was just consistency in the league.
Trophies are important. But trophies aren't suddenly important when defending levy/ENIC :levywtf:

Trophies are important regardless of who owns the club.

The job of the owner is to bring together a group of players capable of winning trophies.

And we have had a team capable of winning an FA cup, League cup or UEFA for 15 years. We had a team capable of winning a league in the last 5.

We haven’t won anything due to the managers of those respective sides not matching the quality of the players available to them.

Now feel free to blame them for appointing Poch or Redknapp. Feel free to blame them for tolerating those managers derisory attitude towards the cups that represented our best chance of success.

But you and others like you don’t do that - the coaches always get a free pass despite the talent available to them and it’s all about this facile need to build the perfect squad through market squad.

No mate just an old school supporter who has been worn down by the lies and the false promises of ambition..
I'm guessing you are a lot younger than me, and think that this pretending to compete is real ambition.
I'm honestly not having a go, my nephew is the same its just a different generation who have been in my opinion brain washed.
I'm with you all the way on that. 1967 I became Spurs. But no longer due to recent events. Even now I can't see them winning anything soon. Only money wins these days!

Mate if i thought we would try then you would be right, but we all know we wot win it or even attempt to win it going by previous seasons in the europa.
I wish I was wrong and if we win it I will apply admit how wrong i was, but we all know that will not happen. There are no previous attempts at winning it that say I'm wrong mate, sorry.

Agreed !;

Trophies are important regardless of who owns the club.

The job of the owner is to bring together a group of players capable of winning trophies.

And we have had a team capable of winning an FA cup, League cup or UEFA for 15 years. We had a team capable of winning a league in the last 5.

We haven’t won anything due to the managers of those respective sides not matching the quality of the players available to them.

Now feel free to blame them for appointing Poch or Redknapp. Feel free to blame them for tolerating those managers derisory attitude towards the cups that represented our best chance of success.

But you and others like you don’t do that - the coaches always get a free pass despite the talent available to them and it’s all about this facile need to build the perfect squad through market squad.
You think this team is good enough to win the EL so it will be down to mourinho if we don't. I don't think we are good enough which is down to the owners in my view. I think its very harsh to expect mourinho to get this team to win the EL. But others think we are more than capable so mourinho can have no excuses as he had a good team. No right or wrong.

Yay Thursday night pointless matches..cannot wait.
Just think if we had actually pulled our finger out slightly earlier in this fucked up season we could f somehow got into the champions league like united have...just shows how poor in quality this league has become, shit season and shit football all around.
Thank god its over, just a shame that its coming back so soon tbh.
I used to love looking forwards to a new season but I no longer have any excitement or anticipation, as i already know we will show no ambition and will not sign anyone worth having..thanks levy for destroying my enjoyment of this once great game..
[/QUO but but we've signed an unknown 17 year old from newly relegated Wigan, don't be so ungrateful

Hmm. Not as convinced as you with the squad we have. Don't rate any full backs or DM's. Let alone rotating for EL & league. Kane will either be flogged to death as well or we rest him which obviously weakens us.
We are ok for CBs & AMs but a bit light in other area's. I still feel strongly that a Europa run harms you in the league but I get you feeling differently.
But we do agree our best 11 isn't good enough for top 4. We will need others to play crap to have a chance.

I think it harming in the league is very overrated and an excuse used by teams that are too weak to do much in the league in the first place.

If we are too weak to compete for top 4 and EL it is most likely that the actual case is just that we are too weak to compete for the top 4.

These are the teams that Woolwich and Man United faced in the group stage: Eintrecht Frankfurt, Standard Liege, Vitoria, AZ, Partizan, Astana. There is no reason that my first team listed could not win a group with these teams without a single player from our starting 11.

In the knockout stage Woolwich, Wolves and United were matched with Olympaikos, Espanyol and Brugge and that was with Woolwich and Wolves failing to win their groups. Again 3 teams we can beat without having to use a ton of our first team starters.

Obviously with other Cups we are likely to have a few players overlapping but not enough that it should wipe out their stamina or fitness. When we have big EPL games coming up we can easily keep any players that are at risk at home and still be fine for the EL.

The biggest issue we have with top 4 is not the supposed drain that EL will have on us, it is the fact that we are at best the 5th best team in the EPL and maybe lower after the transfer window is done.

You think this team is good enough to win the EL so it will be down to mourinho if we don't. I don't think we are good enough which is down to the owners in my view. I think its very harsh to expect mourinho to get this team to win the EL. But others think we are more than capable so mourinho can have no excuses as he had a good team. No right or wrong.

It's not fair to expect a manager to win any given competition in which he's given a competitive squad, but in English football those opportunities compound.

If in two years Mourinho hasn't won anything, having been handed a built, mature squad on the precipice of doing so, then he's either failed or we've performed so well in the league that the allocation of resources away from the cups was a mistake.

Who will be better in the EL than us?

I mean it is hard to tell right now not knowing who will come from the CL but using the current Europa League season the only teams better than us would be Manchester United and Inter. Both teams that we could easily beat in a one off final.

The year before you would be looking at Inter, Napoli, Chelsea as teams that are comparable to us currently.

So we likely are looking at having a team or 2 from Italy, likely their 3rd or 4th best, another English team in this case Wolves or Leicester and maybe a 2nd tier team from Germany or Spain. Not a guarantee that we win by any means but not a single terrifying team or a team that we have no business beating.

At the very worst come the knockout stage we are likely 4th favorites at worst more likely top 2.

So why again is this not a tournament we can win?

Back
Top Bottom