Europa league or Nothing?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Europa league or Nothing?

• Europa League qualification

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • No Europe at all

Votes: 45 45.9%
  • I haven’t given up on top 4/5 yet

Votes: 21 21.4%

• Total voters
Stupid to even suggest we'd be better off out of Europe all together. The only reason we might miss out on CL allocated according to coefficient is because we're dumb cunts who are "too good for Europa". Its why we also typically end up the best team in Pot 3 for CL group draws and draw murderous groups often times.

The fucking absurdity of thinking we're too good for Europa...why? What the fuck else have we won?

Correct.... CL though if City's ban stands.
Is it weird that I kinda want a run in the EL?

It's a trophy that we could have a honest chance at winning if we took it seriously. And the group stages are a golden ground to give bench players and youth playing time combined with the cups.

It wasn't that long ago that we bedded in Kane, Mason, Bentaleb and Andros through the EL.

Is it weird that I kinda want a run in the EL?

It's a trophy that we could have a honest chance at winning if we took it seriously. And the group stages are a golden ground to give bench players and youth playing time combined with the cups.

It wasn't that long ago that we bedded in Kane, Mason, Bentaleb and Andros through the EL.

I see great value in the EL for that reason. We've struggled to integrate players in recent years cos without deep domestic cup runs every fixture is a primo game.

So you get the same amount of coefficient points in reaching the Europa League Final as you do in reaching the Champions league final?? Am I reading that right?
Sort of. The system is basically that you get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. 1 bonus point for reaching the QF, SF and Final of either competition. Then the Champions League teams also get a bonus 4 points for playing in the GS and 5 points for the R16 to compensate for having more difficult fixtures and non R32 round. So a team like e.g. Real Madrid who might win nearly all their games on the way to the CL final will get a lot more points than a Europa finalist. But if you scrape second in your group despite failing to win two-thirds of your games, get through the knockouts on aggregate and away goals etc, it's much more even. It clearly skews somewhat towards the Europa teams, but this is by design - they want to reward those who take the Europa seriously, whereas teams like us which put out weakened teams and fail to beat outfits that wouldn't even survive in the Premier League get punished.

Sort of. The system is basically that you get 2 points for a win and 1 point for a draw. 1 bonus point for reaching the QF, SF and Final of either competition. Then the Champions League teams also get a bonus 4 points for playing in the GS and 5 points for the R16 to compensate for having more difficult fixtures and non R32 round. So a team like e.g. Real Madrid who might win nearly all their games on the way to the CL final will get a lot more points than a Europa finalist. But if you scrape second in your group despite failing to win two-thirds of your games, get through the knockouts on aggregate and away goals etc, it's much more even. It clearly skews somewhat towards the Europa teams, but this is by design - they want to reward those who take the Europa seriously, whereas teams like us which put out weakened teams and fail to beat outfits that wouldn't even survive in the Premier League get punished.

It's a load of bollocks unless one honestly thinks beating RM in the group stages is no better than beating Astra 'facking' Goo Goo.

It's a load of bollocks unless one honestly thinks beating RM in the group stages is no better than beating Astra 'facking' Goo Goo.
It's true, but then it "punishes" losing to Juventus and losing to fucking Gent equally...which shouldn't be the case, but works in our favor.

We don't really have much of a right to complain about the system, I don't think. English teams with far greater recent successes have taken the EL serious and won it. We seem to be practically the only club that actively doesn't want to win the damn thing, and that's a shame.

It's true, but then it "punishes" losing to Juventus and losing to fucking Gent equally...which shouldn't be the case, but works in our favor.

We don't really have much of a right to complain about the system, I don't think. English teams with far greater recent successes have taken the EL serious and won it. We seem to be practically the only club that actively doesn't want to win the damn thing, and that's a shame.
Even more so when we were the first English club to win it.

I take your latter point, but that's a different discussion to the ranking system (and a whole load of maybes and what if's surrounding our efforts during the Europa years).

Re-the points system: The emphasis should be on games won though surely.... Otherwise, what kind of competitive principals are we running this game by....?

I take your latter point, but that's a different discussion to the ranking system (and a whole load of maybes and what if's surrounding our efforts during the Europa years).

Re-the points system: The emphasis should be on games won though surely.... Otherwise, what kind of competitive principals are we running this game by....?
I really like this sort of thing, and I'd love to get some time to throw around some algorithms to see what could be created. UEFA's coefficient does leave tons of room for improvement.

For that season I think it's about fair. Ultimately we were in the CL R16, they were in the EL semi-finals. We did much better in the group stage, but lost straight away in the knockouts while they beat Ostersunds, CSKA Moscow and AC Milan. Given that I agree with trying to get teams to take the Europa seriously, equal points for that year is about right. It's last season that's a bit of an oddity, mainly because we somehow got to the CL final despite a group stage record that would have seen us eliminated at least 8 times out of 10.

For that season I think it's about fair. Ultimately we were in the CL R16, they were in the EL semi-finals. We did much better in the group stage, but lost straight away in the knockouts while they beat Ostersunds, CSKA Moscow and AC Milan. Given that I agree with trying to get teams to take the Europa seriously, equal points for that year is about right. It's last season that's a bit of an oddity, mainly because we somehow got to the CL final despite a group stage record that would have seen us eliminated at least 8 times out of 10.

I didn't have a specific season in mind... Just using RM as an example of a so-called elite team.

Regardless of who you draw one would logically expect a CL group to be tougher than a EL group.

My overall point is simple... CL is an altogether higher level of competition and should be treated as such(*).

(*Not that I'm suggesting a EL winner should get less points than a CL fail, but the idea of needing to coax teams into taking the EL more seriously in such a way speaks for itself and let's not forget an eventual EL winner could actually have been a CL drop-out in that same season.)

Yes, if the ban sticks. But if their appeal is successful or delayed for a year then it's :mourbye:

I think the debate has moved on and if the league doesn’t get finished then it looks like qualification will be on a points per game basis earns during 2019/20

Had they chosen the coefficient route the numbers for 2019/20 would have been excluded for just as the league hasn’t been completed nor have the UEFA tournaments in which clubs can gain ranking points .

So if they choose five years the first year would in all likelihood have been 2014/15 and the last 2018/19

Painted a whole different picture

Back
Top Bottom