Europa League Play-Off Round: Tottenham vs Maccabi Haifa - Thursday 1st October

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Whisper it, but I really like the Europa/UEFA.

I know, I know, there's nothing like the glamour, glory and wealth of the CL, but it's given us so many fun and memorable nights. Midweek low stress entertainment.

Thought we were decent tonight and i honestly feel quite excited by the team that’s forming. Need a bit of work at the back, but purring up front and Kane is a beast at the moment. First time for a long while I feel really optimistic about Spurs.

So what would have been the outcome of the shootout had the keeper not dived randomly, that's assuming that they did?

I’ve absolutely no idea when a keeper saves it if it's random or not
It can be difficult to tell. But if you slow it down, it should be easy to identify when the keeper is staying in the middle, awaiting the shot, and then reacting to it. Simple enough to the extent that you and bus-conductor bus-conductor should be able to agree 90% of the time.

Intuitively, I want to say that he's right about the optimal strategy not being diving at pseudorandom. But then with the sheer amount of effort that goes into penalty preparation, including paying psychologists solely to focus on that one area of the game, I find it hard to believe that teams wouldn't have worked out the superior strategy already. If diving late were better, logically I'd expect to see a lot more keepers doing it right now.

Back
Top Bottom