Europa League - Tottenham Vs LASK, Thursday 22nd Oct, 8pm KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You want to win thee games comfortably playing at 80% and that we did ... looking at the players

Hart shows why he's the number two, never shuts up which is important when the defence has very little to do, had only one proper save to make and did it well.

In defence Davies showing he can be a capable CB, Sanchez showing that 95% of the time he's good but still that odd 'moment' Reguilon with great pace certainly gets 'up and down' and Doherty having his best game, looking fitter, and like Reg getting up and down, he created a sitter which Sid missed and should have scored with a header, seemed to work well with Bale.

In the middle Hojbjerg is the dogs dangles, exactly what we needed last season we now have, add to that the war-wound and he's already approaching legend potential, Winks is Winks does the basic job mopping up and redistributing never going to grab the headlines, Lamela seemed half a yard short all night got in great positions then took a second too long, Lucas very similar to Lamela great positional movement but not always a great result. Bale showed flashes (and one burst of pace) clearly not match fit the run outs in the EL will do him good

Up front another not match fit player Sid showed that he's much, much more than a lump of a forward, great touches and vision shame he also missed a sitter

Thought Jose got it about right, rested some big names and used the subs early enough, all three early subs slotted in well and show how strong we are in depth, LoCelso got back on the pitch and a debut for Clarke.

All in all a job well done ....

The only concern, and I'm sure it was noted, is our inability to mark from set pieces LASK had six corners and were on the end of four of them ... clearly this is a weakness we need to address in training.

You want to win thee games comfortably playing at 80% and that we did ... looking at the players

Hart shows why he's the number two, never shuts up which is important when the defence has very little to do, had only one proper save to make and did it well.

In defence Davies showing he can be a capable CB, Sanchez showing that 95% of the time he's good but still that odd 'moment' Reguilon with great pace certainly gets 'up and down' and Doherty having his best game, looking fitter, and like Reg getting up and down, he created a sitter which Sid missed and should have scored with a header, seemed to work well with Bale.

In the middle Hojbjerg is the dogs dangles, exactly what we needed last season we now have, add to that the war-wound and he's already approaching legend potential, Winks is Winks does the basic job mopping up and redistributing never going to grab the headlines, Lamela seemed half a yard short all night got in great positions then took a second too long, Lucas very similar to Lamela great positional movement but not always a great result. Bale showed flashes (and one burst of pace) clearly not match fit the run outs in the EL will do him good

Up front another not match fit player Sid showed that he's much, much more than a lump of a forward, great touches and vision shame he also missed a sitter

Thought Jose got it about right, rested some big names and used the subs early enough, all three early subs slotted in well and show how strong we are in depth, LoCelso got back on the pitch and a debut for Clarke.

All in all a job well done ....

The only concern, and I'm sure it was noted, is our inability to mark from set pieces LASK had six corners and were on the end of four of them ... clearly this is a weakness we need to address in training.
Bang on except I still doherty is yet to put in a real decent performance for us. Not writing him off just haven't quite seen it yet.

Bang on except I still doherty is yet to put in a real decent performance for us. Not writing him off just haven't quite seen it yet.
He was pretty bad today most of the game, despite two good crosses to Vinicius. Got the ball with lots of space sometimes with Bale free in front of him, the beast waiting to be released from his cage, and he didn't saw the obvious pass. Also Lamela and Winks had done the same in lots of occasion, the lack of vision is unbeliveable and annoying.

I think people know Jose is going to start him so not much more to say.

I would think, hope?, that people don't trust him since he is awful but some fans don't look past the shirt and are willing to turn anyone into superman in their heads as they think that makes them a better fan.

Gazzaniga or a proper back-up should start but instead we get Hart who hopefully doesn't get enough chances to sink us today.
🙏🙏🙏

Had to wait till late to rewatch that, meetings 🥴 A professional job, nicely done 👍 Thought LASK were much worse than Maccabi Haifa, they huffed and puffed and shoved us off the ball a lot but had little quality in the final third. We were a little sloppy/incoherent at times too - not surprising considering how many new boys and squad members were playing, it was very Europa-y performance - but when we did string together a series of passes you could see how dangerous we would be if everything clicked.

A lot of positive thoughts have been echoed that I agree with so I'll just drop some of my more random ones here:
- Ben Davies as captain and LCB was an inspired choice. Given his size I'm hesitant to put him up against more aerial teams, but against teams that play on the ground? Worth giving a shot imo, I loved his passing from the back (great one for the first goal) and lack of rashness because he reads danger so well. In contrast I thought Reggie and Winks were a little over-eager with the fouling (the latter maybe because he's a squad player trying to get back in the team and he knows Mourinho values fight, but forgot the "intelligent" part of Mourinho's motto 😅) .
- Midfield - this was something I was thinking rewatching Southampton and Everton, but I wish we would make fewer of those long looping passes because half the time we just lose the ball. I get that when it pays off (especially with those cross-field switches) that can be super effective, but pumping it in the air usually just gives them more time to regroup than keeping it on the ground. Maybe because we had more runner-dribbler-attackers than midfielders in the first half so the instinct was to get it to one of them as quickly as possible; I did notice that we kept it on the ground more after the Lo Celso/Alli subs. Felt that we were in better control the second half in general, which was really nice to see after Sunday - no drop in concentration this time.
- Speaking of Alli, I know he was sloppy with the final ball but I was encouraged at how involved he was getting in play - definitely rusty, but he was trying to make runs, make passes, get on the ball. He wasn't invisible. My hope is that he's trying to adapt into more of a midfielder than a shadow striker (or space investigator, however you want to call it), since our usual system doesn't have room for a shadow striker.
- Bale may not have his explosive acceleration anymore, but there were still a few times he showed flashes of pace. I think that the LASK players were especially nervous about him because there seemed to be two players swarming on him whenever he got the ball.
- Vicinius (Viniassist?) - great, encouraging debut. I suspect that people see his size and think, like with Harry, that he's a physical forward - but I also suspect that, just like with Harry, his game is more based around guile, awareness, and astute team play. I loved the unselfishness even though he must've been desperate for a debut goal. Obviously it's very early days but what's interesting is that I remember reading in some Athletic article (plus from some Benfica fans on reddit) that one of his weaknesses is playing with his back to goal. I thought that's something we were missing in the first half, but the moment we came out for the second half he started doing some really good hold-up play with his back to goal. So I think that Mourinho said something to him at halftime, and we're already seeing evidence of Mou's coaching on him. I bet that's behind Mou's comment on him too - "he did great, he could do better" - because he's still very much a work in progress; despite his age, he only became a striker very recently. In any case he seems super coachable and I can't wait to see how he grows this season 🤤
- Son is just a class above. I'm almost annoyed at how often the commentators are saying "well he's definitely not going to miss those" because they're making it sound like his finishes are easy! If they were so easy why doesn't everyone do them 😅In reality yes, he's made brilliant runs, he's got into brilliant positions, but he's not some tap-in merchant. He just makes the finishes look easy.

Having injury is not the same as rest. When you come back from injury it is more difficult to get fit and sharp. When you're sharp and fit, keeping up with training and conditioning, while doing rotation and getting low intense game time is more comfortable than outright sitting out and then doing heavy training to get back into top form.
I’m talking about games, not training.
They aren’t quite the same thing (eg King hardly ever trained but played on the weekend). My guess is Kane may have trained lighter but still played as he reached full fitness.
Poch played Kane because he was our best player and this fixation on rotation is depending on the player unwarranted. I rarely see Ronaldo or Messi get subbed for instance.
IMO it’s an unfair stab - Kane minus ankle issues caused by shit tackles was a work horse and hardly got injured heaps because of poch’s supposedly inferior rotation policy.
Besides Jose squad is much deeper giving him the luxury Poch wasn’t afforded.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I thought this game was much more about how terribly LASK played than how well we played. They were awful. AWFUL. I thought we were merely OK. Reguilon was fantastic. Vinicius made some nice passes. Son very good off the bench. Doherty and Winks looked below average to me. I wasn't nearly as convinced by our CBs today as everybody else despite the clean sheet. If LASK had any sort of competent attack today, they could've been in a few times.

I thought we played better against West Ham. West Ham just had some fight in them while LASK had none.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I thought this game was much more about how terribly LASK played than how well we played. They were awful. AWFUL. I thought we were merely OK. Reguilon was fantastic. Vinicius made some nice passes. Son very good off the bench. Doherty and Winks looked below average to me. I wasn't nearly as convinced by our CBs today as everybody else despite the clean sheet. If LASK had any sort of competent attack today, they could've been in a few times.

I thought we played better against West Ham. West Ham just had some fight in them while LASK had none.
We played at 80% - agreed well below West Ham level - but that was all that was required, it's a long season and the EL is a very long cup competition, running yourself into the ground to turn 3-0 into 6-0 is pretty pointless.

A decent result with an ok performance.
Vinnie has a decent touch , Bale needs more time playing and Reggie (Spanish) is an outstanding addition.
Midfield tended not to link up , most probably due to its lack of creativity with this line up but the Danish bloke looks good and Lamela over run it 90% of the time.
It was only against strudel cunts but business done.

He was pretty bad today most of the game, despite two good crosses to Vinicius. Got the ball with lots of space sometimes with Bale free in front of him, the beast waiting to be released from his cage, and he didn't saw the obvious pass. Also Lamela and Winks had done the same in lots of occasion, the lack of vision is unbeliveable and annoying.
from you judging by that error strewn analysis.

You should write to your MP - this really isn’t on.
On the case
his name is Tom Hunt, fitting for a Tory..

Dear T.Hunt

Unfortunate namesake.. but this brings me on to why I am writing to you today. This guy The Hood is one negative so and so and has limited to no humour. His comebacks are as uplifting as his appraisal for the team I support.
Please rid the world of this Cunt, Mr Tom Hunt.
Yours (on behalf of the vast majority of TFC)
Mr jgn88

Back
Top Bottom