European Conference League 2021/22 Draw and Fixtures thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Vitesse sold their home ground out for first time in maybe 20 years - and players pumped up at playing Spurs whereas Spurs players weren't that bothered.

Having won 1-0 at their place, they upped their game for 2nd leg.

Not helped that too many of Spurs squad have been coasting for a couple of years.

And not all the teams in ECW are rubbish - Rennes beat PSG 2-0 with Messi in their team in October.

What about Mura 🤔

Levy probably should have let him coach the final…
I`m so glad he`s gone. He was never Spurs.
I used to loathe him when he was at Chelsea. Now not so much, but he was not the right fit.
Still the worst decision Levy has ever made IMO, went with his ego cause he knew he’d get smashed for sacking Jose if he delivered a trophy. All worked out in the end for everyone though, let’s hope Conte is the guy.
It'll ALL come out in a book (or Apple/Netflix/Amazon Documentary) one day, I'm sure!

Yes, the Trophy thing is a blot on his/our copybook....
But the League finishes under him tell a more telling story.

When he's at a club ALREADY good enough to WIN a League, he merely guides them to it...
When he's not, he doesn't have the capability to drag them up to that level... he reverts to 'just' being a Cup manager, for one day if glory, and that's it.

He'd probably have done the same with us with the League Cup, but Levy wasn't having any of it!!

Maybe that WAS the plan all along!??

Yes, the Trophy thing is a blot on his/our copybook....
But the League finishes under him tell a more telling story.

When he's at a club ALREADY good enough to WIN a League, he merely guides them to it...
When he's not, he doesn't have the capability to drag them up to that level... he reverts to 'just' being a Cup manager, for one day if glory, and that's it.

He'd probably have done the same with us with the League Cup, but Levy wasn't having any of it!!

Maybe that WAS the plan all along!??
He would not have beaten City in the League Cup who absolutely annihilated us 3-0 (should/could have been 7 or 8) just weeks before. We lost to Dinamo Zagreb 3-0, Everton had just stuck 5 past us. We were utter shit, there was no coming back from it, he was toast. How anyone could remotely envision him actually getting his sorry Spurs team to even shot let alone win a game is lost on me.

Roma were overwhelming favourites to win last night, although this gets totally lost in the narrative. Jose spent more money in the summer on transfers alone than the entire Feynord Squad is worth!! Feyenoord's team was the equivalent of a U21 academy team (exactly the same scenario when he won EL at Man U and there was an even bigger differential in money and their opponents). This gets totally lost in the conversation, at Utd they were in a competition they shouldn't have been competing in because they were shit. Roma is in a competition they shouldn't be in because they are shit, they got to the EL semi-final under the previous manager. Jose has finished 1 place higher (just 2 points more) than last season having spent the highest amount of money (nearly 25% of the total spent by all the other clubs combined), scored fewer goals and conceded more). I argue further that the only reason they finished one place higher was that little old Atalanta who massively punched above their weight last year couldn't sustain it this year and dropped from 3rd to 8th. He still can't beat their bitter rivals Lazio.

So if you are saying his side is expected to win and he guides them to that win then yeah, but only if that team he manages is x10 bigger than the opponent they face and only if they get the biggest slice of luck in the process, like oppo missing open goals (as was the case at Utd EL semi-Final) and last night having their opponent hit the woodwork twice and miss a 1v1 on the back post in extra time, or as with our run to the League Cup Final where we got a bye against the lowest ranked team, then got drawn and beat the lowest ranked teams left in the comp in the 2 subsequent rounds and then drew the match with Chavs to then go through on pens.

Yet, when playing in a competition amongst more equal opponents (at the level the Club he's managing should be competing at) he's nowhere to be seen. This is his reality now. Only competes in competitions that his team shouldn't be competing and against teams far inferior as a result of total underperformance.

He would not have beaten City in the League Cup who absolutely annihilated us 3-0 (should/could have been 7 or 8) just weeks before. We lost to Dinamo Zagreb 3-0, Everton had just stuck 5 past us. We were utter shit, there was no coming back from it, he was toast. How anyone could remotely envision him actually getting his sorry Spurs team to even shot let alone win a game is lost on me.

Roma were overwhelming favourites to win last night, although this gets totally lost in the narrative. Jose spent more money in the summer on transfers alone than the entire Feynord Squad is worth!! Feyenoord's team was the equivalent of a U21 academy team (exactly the same scenario when he won EL at Man U and there was an even bigger differential in money and their opponents). This gets totally lost in the conversation, at Utd they were in a competition they shouldn't have been competing in because they were shit. Roma is in a competition they shouldn't be in because they are shit, they got to the EL semi-final under the previous manager. Jose has finished 1 place higher (just 2 points more) than last season having spent the highest amount of money (nearly 25% of the total spent by all the other clubs combined), scored fewer goals and conceded more). I argue further that the only reason they finished one place higher was that little old Atalanta who massively punched above their weight last year couldn't sustain it this year and dropped from 3rd to 8th. He still can't beat their bitter rivals Lazio.

So if you are saying his side is expected to win and he guides them to that win then yeah, but only if that team he manages is x10 bigger than the opponent they face and only if they get the biggest slice of luck in the process, like oppo missing open goals (as was the case at Utd EL semi-Final) and last night having their opponent hit the woodwork twice and miss a 1v1 on the back post in extra time, or as with our run to the League Cup Final where we got a bye against the lowest ranked team, then got drawn and beat the lowest ranked teams left in the comp in the 2 subsequent rounds and then drew the match with Chavs to then go through on pens.

Yet, when playing in a competition amongst more equal opponents (at the level the Club he's managing should be competing at) he's nowhere to be seen. This is his reality now. Only competes in competitions that his team shouldn't be competing and against teams far inferior as a result of total underperformance.
Good analysis...
he's basically a flat-track bully, who only wants to manage flat-track bully teams...

I reckon he might be in with a shout if Arteta gets the heave-ho before Christmas!!
He'd fucking love that, wouldn't he?

Good analysis...
he's basically a flat-track bully, who only wants to manage flat-track bully teams...

I reckon he might be in with a shout if Arteta gets the heave-ho before Christmas!!
He'd fucking love that, wouldn't he?
I don't think they are even that dumb to appoint him.........

I think Woolwich will get so far stuck up their own PR spin on Arteta that they will con themselves that he's progressing. They will be the same as they are now, which is the same as they were last year and the year before that and before that and before that.

Until Arteta shows signs that he's improving the players under him then he's at his zenith. I believe he hasn't improved a single individual player in his squad. I'll freely admit that he had an impact when he first took over, it wasn't anything spectacular, all he did was given them more organisation without the ball, and he improved their shape. The issue is he is limited to just this, he's very defensive and despite having creative players at his disposal, he can't balance the team to be solid and offer an attacking outlet.

Back
Top Bottom