European Premier League Talks In Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The point is though, as a founder of the Euro Premier league, United couldn't be relegated....not for the first 20 years anyway. Other 'guest' teams would be relegated but by the time the 20 year period was done the founding clubs would be so rich and entrenched that they would likely never go down, ensuring that they, at least, have the finances to always remain at the pinnacle of their domestic league.
Quite right. The 20 year rule would effectively be a licence to print money for the founder clubs. They would have a guaranteed income with which to invest and thereby ensure they would be able to mount a formidable challenge within their domestic leagues every season.
The rest of the clubs would be playing for sixth spot.

Quite right. The 20 year rule would effectively be a licence to print money for the founder clubs. They would have a guaranteed income with which to invest and thereby ensure they would be able to mount a formidable challenge within their domestic leagues every season.
The rest of the clubs would be playing for sixth spot.

This and the "big picture" proposals both have this underlying theme whereby there is a potentially viable idea but voting for either comes with a caveat that the top clubs would have absolute power. In their big picture project they positioned themselves as arbiters of the law with the powers to veto takeovers , in this they position themselves as untouchable for 20 years....both ideas are based on the premise of being better for football whilst the truth is, its all about maintaining wealth for the already wealthy.

I agree with the sentiment my friend but sadly it isn't going to happen, and wouldn't you rather win the league with those bastards still in it ?

Totally. But i would also expect the PL to kick them out. They want (and i hope we don't) to have their cake and eat it. Well, if i were the PL i'd say on yer bike.

Totally. But i would also expect the PL to kick them out. They want (and i hope we don't) to have their cake and eat it. Well, if i were the PL i'd say on yer bike.
I completely agree because to be in both would enable them to use the European one as a cash cow to finance and promote their Premier League ambitions. Can you imagine the transfer window too ?. They would be able to guarantee a new player at least 20 years of European football if this deal went through.

There is simply no way the PL would allow such a monopoly.

How the fuck is anyone on here excited about this - it's literally the end of football. I'm completely done if this goes through. The games finished, spurs can go fuck off if they enter this and I won't be asked to watch the premier League anymore even if we dont. I never thought I'd ever say I'd stop being a spurs fan every but if this goes through as planned I'm done with football

How the fuck is anyone on here excited about this - it's literally the end of football. I'm completely done if this goes through. The games finished, spurs can go fuck off if they enter this and I won't be asked to watch the premier League anymore even if we dont. I never thought I'd ever say I'd stop being a spurs fan every but if this goes through as planned I'm done with football
If this goes through mate then 'football' as we know and love it is dead. Only a few years before it's launched on the stock market as Football PLC .

I completely agree because to be in both would enable them to use the European one as a cash cow to finance and promote their Premier League ambitions. Can you imagine the transfer window too ?. They would be able to guarantee a new player at least 20 years of European football if this deal went through.

There is simply no way the PL would allow such a monopoly.

Take out the 5 (who have all won it) and what sort of competition are you left with? Do the premier league actually care if the same 4 or 5 teams tend to win the league? And never look like being relegated.

Clearly a lot of supposition here but the one thing prevalent in modern football is the pursuit of money.

It’s not a new idea either. Maybe COVID has shown you don’t actually need fans....... and people will still pay to watch. Just the continuing evolution of football being a global sport.

Who are you paying to watch if you are a foreign based fan?

Burnley v Villa or Liverpool v Barca?

FIFA response :
hith-neville-chamberlain-peace-in-our-time-1938-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom