European Premier League Talks In Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You are right, it is without a doubt the influence of American sports ownership. To be fair to us American fans though, most of us hate this type of shit too. We just have no power to stop it, there is way, way too much money in American sports for ownership to give a shit about what their fans think. I would LOVE to have a culture closer to the English football culture but it's just not in the cards.

As an example, the baseball team I support was purchased a decade ago by a billionaire family. The family is closely linked with Trump and has used the facilities themselves for Trump fundraising events. They also launched their own TV network in conjunction with a notoriously conservative media company in the U.S. Our stadium is one of the few that is a "neighborhood" stadium where it's built right in a small community; ownership has been systemically buying every building they can in the area and replacing many of the small local businesses that used to exist there with corporate chains.

I hate just about every aspect of it but I am powerless to stop it. Sure, I could stop watching the games but I'm a single drop in a bucket. There are occasionally small protest groups that will spring up in American sports but they are universally ignored by ownership.

Anyway, I did just want to say that I hope this change does not happen and that I think most American fans would agree with me. Really this is just another example of how money and greed can ruin beautiful things.
Which team do you support?

There'll still be a financial pecking order though..... Give or take, we're 5th richest club in our league and struggle to make a dent..... As circa the 10th richest in Europe we'd make even less of a dent in the super-duper-wanky league.

thats a daft statement. who knows what wed be like with extra cash and lots more players wanting to play for us.

Surely its just an enhanced champions league? We didnt do so badly there did we.

thats a daft statement. who knows what wed be like with extra cash and lots more players wanting to play for us.

Surely its just an enhanced champions league? We didnt do so badly there did we.

It's not daft..... They'd all have that extra cash so it wouldn't act as a leveller.

There's only so many elite players in the world and it'd rapidly become a pissing contest of wages; even more so than it is now.

I was talking about our position numb nuts. We would be in it, so would remain an elite club.

The Evertons and Leeds would be left well behind.

(Well "numb nuts", perhaps articulate your point, rather grunting out these flacid, innocuous, mono-statements....)

We would be one of the poorest teams in that European bracket, with no PSV's and so forth to water down the competition levels, nor a knockout element to create wildcards.

Domestically nor on a European level wouldn't be any further up the rich list.

Last edited:
(Well "numb nuts", perhaps articulate your point, rather grunting out these flacid, innocuous, mono-statements....)

We would be one of the poorest teams in that European bracket, with no PSV's and so forth to water down the competition levels.

Domestically nor on a European level wouldn't be any further up the rich list.

One of the poorest teams how? Wed be mid table. To begin with.

Whats to say we dont do well and build the club up over time?

Back
Top Bottom