European Premier League Talks In Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's paid JP Morgan a shed load of money? Nothing I've read so far suggests to me anyone's invested more than scoping fees at the moment? And my guess would be the only party being billed so far is FIFA who are probably driving this, with cheerleading by the Glazers, Fenway, Perez, Agnelli who all see it as a win win, they either get a new more lucrative money making tournament or they get to use the threat of it as leverage to get more out of the existing CL and domestic deals. FIFA likewise, seeing this as a way to either usurp their rival UEFA or at least start to get a piece of football's most lucrative club competition currently run by UEFA.
Reported all over the place https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54621189

My guess would be that Sky are prepared to bankroll this in return for first dibs on the TV rights, FIFA or UEFA don't have the ability to raise that level of money without a TV Deal.

European Premier League: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament

Sponsors wouldnt be hard to find.
I'm not so sure - fans could boycott any product or company that links with the Super League - the dislike / hatred of this idea is pretty universal - I'd stop buying anything connected and normally I don't give a feck, but this is the game I have loved my entire life it doesn't belong to a few rich Owners and it never will. Sponsorship could dry up very fast.

Reported all over the place https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54621189

My guess would be that Sky are prepared to bankroll this in return for first dibs on the TV rights, FIFA or UEFA don't have the ability to raise that level of money without a TV Deal.

European Premier League: Liverpool and Manchester United in talks for FIFA-backed tournament

"But the project is said to still have a "long way to go" and the deal "may not happen"."

Same stuff being floated everywhere though. And it’s the usual suspects. Sounds a long way from anyone spunking lots of dough on it as yet, more like a bit of heavyweight kite flying.

I can understand why FIFA and the usual uber club stooges would be interested, or be happy to be seen to be interested in the project, and nothing would shock me in regards to this happening or not, but if I was going to take a punt, I'd guess this will end up with the uber clubs just getting a better cut/deal and/or better circumstances of a new revamped CL in two-three years time and getting some of the "big picture" domestic stuff crow-barred through as the lesser clubs know there's some value in keeping the clubs that do actually bring in all the revenue to the PL happy.

Would spell the death of the CL.

I think the CL format/contract is up for renewal in the next couple of years iirc.

I feel like I'm the only person excited for this. I have had an absolute gut full of the dipper and manure centric media. We tonked manure 6-1 and I'm unsure if Spurs even got a mention in the press. The media crowned the dippers champions even when City won the treble. Fuck those cunts.

Football in England is desperate to hit the reset button and this could be great for football as a whole by getting rid of the two most toxic clubs in the Prem. Most dipper/utd fans will follow whomever wins anyway so good luck to them. With the "top 5" fucking off (we know it will include woolwich because yank owners) then it will open things up for football. Champo clubs would have something to aim for.

I couldn't give a flying fuck if the broadcasting money is diminished. Those greedy cunts need a reality check too. Bring it on but please leave Spurs out of it.

I think the CL format/contract is up for renewal in the next couple of years iirc.

I feel like I'm the only person excited for this. I have had an absolute gut full of the dipper and manure centric media. We tonked manure 6-1 and I'm unsure if Spurs even got a mention in the press. The media crowned the dippers champions even when City won the treble. Fuck those cunts.

Football in England is desperate to hit the reset button and this could be great for football as a whole by getting rid of the two most toxic clubs in the Prem. Most dipper/utd fans will follow whomever wins anyway so good luck to them. With the "top 5" fucking off (we know it will include woolwich because yank owners) then it will open things up for football. Champo clubs would have something to aim for.

I couldn't give a flying fuck if the broadcasting money is diminished. Those greedy cunts need a reality check too. Bring it on but please leave Spurs out of it.
CL is reviewed in 2024. This proposal does not mean a club would no longer play in it's domestic league as you seem to be thinking.

"But the project is said to still have a "long way to go" and the deal "may not happen"."

Same stuff being floated everywhere though. And it’s the usual suspects. Sounds a long way from anyone spunking lots of dough on it as yet, more like a bit of heavyweight kite flying.

I can understand why FIFA and the usual uber club stooges would be interested, or be happy to be seen to be interested in the project, and nothing would shock me in regards to this happening or not, but if I was going to take a punt, I'd guess this will end up with the uber clubs just getting a better cut/deal and/or better circumstances of a new revamped CL in two-three years time and getting some of the "big picture" domestic stuff crow-barred through as the lesser clubs know there's some value in keeping the clubs that do actually bring in all the revenue to the PL happy.
But how much more money do the rich clubs want? The big 6 usually finish (weirdly enough) in the top 6 bar the odd aberration anyway. It's just loading the dice even more in their favour thus making the product more unequal with less chance of variation and drama. This in turn will make it a more predictable, less saleable product which will drive down audience numbers and kill the golden goose and it's eggs.

Why lose the charity shield? More money pre season. The league cup? Not enough money in it to warrant the games. More voting power? To stop another Chelsea or City coming along.
Destroy competition, destroy the product, destroy the sport. They're greedy cunts plain and simple. We need the clubs, all of them, the drama, the competition, the unpredictability.
I don't care if some clubs are more popular than others or attract more viewers, we need underdogs, fairy tales, upsets, drama, it's why watching footy is so exhilarating because as Sunday proves anything can happen.

I appreciate your aesthetic view of the game, your desire for perfect busy cunt pureness mixed with great attacking prowess but that's only one view of the game. For fans, a Lucas in Amsterdam last minute money shot is the stuff of dreams, how we played for most becomes irrelevant until the dust has settled.

So yes fuck these greedy cunts who don't know when they're onto a brilliant thing that just needs a tweak here or there. Fuck PSG and Munich and their predictable leagues that no one watches, fuck Madrid and Barcelona and the bloated, boring, diving El Classico too. Fuck em all. Champions League? It's harder to win the Premier League and so it should be.

The problem with your scenario is that the EPL carries on as the weekend competition with the 5 Super League clubs still in it. The new European Super League is midweek as it's only about the TV ratings not the fans, so kick-off times will be catered to Asia you can expect afternoon matches on a Tuesday / Wednesday / Thursday

The elite five will have double or treble the money of the rest of the EPL so will easily run two full teams far better than the rest can manage ... in essence we and everyone else will be playing for sixth place and even if we did finish top five the European Super League is a closed shop so we get nothing for doing that anyway.

If the EPL had the balls to kick out the 'elite' five then 100% I agree with you ... but they won't, money as always will drive that decision.

How about they play matches in the most incredible settings ever, like the gardens of Buckingham Palace, the Champs Elysees or Tutankhamen’s inflated fucking scrotum? No fans present, but who cares when it’s broadcast around the world to millions paying £20 per game? Money, money, money!
No fans present at the moment...14.99 a game... number of FIFA turf laboratory institutes increasing... Jamie Carragher's a cunt....hang on a minute....

= Covid was manufactured to create this super league.

Seriously though, imagine if Levy took the high ground and turned it down and then it was offered to Everton or someone. Would we want to be locked out, forever doomed to fight for financial scraps with Burnley and spam? What a horrible decision to have to make.

Greedy fuckers. Don't be suprised if this super league ends up with cheerleaders, two water bottle huddle breaks accompanied by 3 minute adds in each half, and VAR controlled by wrestling referees, skewing results to hoist Utd or RM to top position

Greedy fuckers. Don't be surprised if this super league ends up with cheerleaders, two water bottle huddle breaks accompanied by 3 minute adds in each half, and VAR controlled by wrestling referees, skewing results to hoist Utd or RM to top position

4 Quarters of 25 minutes each with 10 minute add breaks in each half, add in a sponsored 20 minute half time show ... it's soccer time.

But how much more money do the rich clubs want? The big 6 usually finish (weirdly enough) in the top 6 bar the odd aberration anyway. It's just loading the dice even more in their favour thus making the product more unequal with less chance of variation and drama. This in turn will make it a more predictable, less saleable product which will drive down audience numbers and kill the golden goose and it's eggs.

Why lose the charity shield? More money pre season. The league cup? Not enough money in it to warrant the games. More voting power? To stop another Chelsea or City coming along.
Destroy competition, destroy the product, destroy the sport. They're greedy cunts plain and simple. We need the clubs, all of them, the drama, the competition, the unpredictability.
I don't care if some clubs are more popular than others or attract more viewers, we need underdogs, fairy tales, upsets, drama, it's why watching footy is so exhilarating because as Sunday proves anything can happen.

I appreciate your aesthetic view of the game, your desire for perfect busy cunt pureness mixed with great attacking prowess but that's only one view of the game. For fans, a Lucas in Amsterdam last minute money shot is the stuff of dreams, how we played for most becomes irrelevant until the dust has settled.

So yes fuck these greedy cunts who don't know when they're onto a brilliant thing that just needs a tweak here or there. Fuck PSG and Munich and their predictable leagues that no one watches, fuck Madrid and Barcelona and the bloated, boring, diving El Classico too. Fuck em all. Champions League? It's harder to win the Premier League and so it should be.
I wholeheartedly agree with every word of this

Wasn't my idea Steve?

I'm not so sure - fans could boycott any product or company that links with the Super League - the dislike / hatred of this idea is pretty universal - I'd stop buying anything connected and normally I don't give a feck, but this is the game I have loved my entire life it doesn't belong to a few rich Owners and it never will. Sponsorship could dry up very fast.

Fans would soon get over it.

I think its a good idea as long as a team has a pathway to go from non league to the top of the European premier league. And Man United can be relegated all the way to the combined countiues.

The moment that pathway closes football is dead to me.

I think its a good idea as long as a team has a pathway to go from non league to the top of the European premier league. And Man United can be relegated all the way to the combined countiues.

The moment that pathway closes football is dead to me.

The point is though, as a founder of the Euro Premier league, United couldn't be relegated....not for the first 20 years anyway. Other 'guest' teams would be relegated but by the time the 20 year period was done the founding clubs would be so rich and entrenched that they would likely never go down, ensuring that they, at least, have the finances to always remain at the pinnacle of their domestic league.

The point is though, as a founder of the Euro Premier league, United couldn't be relegated....not for the first 20 years anyway. Other 'guest' teams would be relegated but by the time the 20 year period was done the founding clubs would be so rich and entrenched that they would likely never go down, ensuring that they, at least, have the finances to always remain at the pinnacle of their domestic league.

Obviously thats not going to be swallowed. But the idea of a superleague itself is fine.

Back
Top Bottom