European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Its gonna be a difficult thing to negotiate with the PFA at this point. To get salary caps instituted in US sports, they basically traded the players free agency. In this case, the Bosman ruling has already given players that right...so what can you bargain with?

Most effective tactic (what the NFL Ownership just used in the latest CBA) is to target the PFA's weakness - the vast majority of its membership, enough to approve any agreement, will never reach the heights of those massive salaries, and thus don't really care much about what the "cap" is. What do they want?

The trouble football faces is its not a single league, and there will be leagues that exploit the players that want to leave to maximize their salaries. Are we prepared to have a league with no Kanes?

German football with 50+1 and its lower prices and what not is being idolized currently. But the realities of the league is also that, outside of Bayern who operate on a different financial level, any time a star develops in the league they generally very quickly either move to Bayern or switch leagues.

So can you sell this UEFA wide? First you have to get the players to form an international union to negotiate with, yeah?
A discussion like this is not a bad thing and is needed. Not by idiots like me of course but by the authorities and all the relevant organisations.

This isn't in isolation for the past 20 years UEFA have been fighting back against the traditional big 8 more champions from lesser leagues etc. The balance of power means they have to give up more and more every negotiation (4yrs). Last time it was 4 spots across the big 4. Now the balance had shifted so much this was the outcome.

Before the SL plans were announced the CL were poison, they still are but its driven by the clubs.
I just don't buy your faith in the higher morals of UEFA, sorry. Den of snakes...they're complicit in this as well. They aren't being drug along, no matter how the publicly profess such.

A discussion like this is not a bad thing and is needed. Not by idiots like me of course but by the authorities and all the relevant organisations.
Its idiots like us, however, that have to not consider the ESL a victory and seize the moment to make the authorities have those discussions and reach those conclusions.

Need to be massive protests surrounding every football match still...show them that just killing the ESL won't do.

Its idiots like us, however, that have to not consider the ESL a victory and seize the moment to make the authorities have those discussions and reach those conclusions.

Need to be massive protests surrounding every football match still...show them that just killing the ESL won't do.
Shame supporters aren't allowed to attend, We would have had 10k protesting today.

Offside is the one area VAR is getting consistently right, and also the one area where celebrations were often cut short by a flag already.

Moaning because decisions are now “to a millimetre” is typical fan stupidity. Same fans have spent the last 60 years moaning because offsides were yards wrong.

It’s ludicrous moaning about this facet of VAR, it’s been the biggest success. We now no longer get games constantly decided by glaringly bad decisions made by a bloke who is required to look in two places at once.

It’s the rest of VAR that needs polishing, or in most cases, the rules (like hand ball) that need modernising/improving.
Completely disagree.

No one felt aggrieved if a player's toe was offside and they scored against you. They would show a replay and it would look very tight and you'd accept it.

Only when it was a completely obvious offside would fans be angry. There has to be some common sense brought into the equation. I'm not sure how they adapt it to bring in some minimum threshold but this nonsense of zooming in down to pixels and moving lines around for 2 mins before essentially guessing (because the cameras aren't high quality enough) is a nonsense.

In its current form VAR can be used to ensure players who are yards offside are always penalised but on a millimetre scale makes no sense and just serves to take away enjoyment of celebrating a goal which is the highlight of a football match.

Until the technology develops to the point where we can be accurate down to the millimetre and decisions are done instantly and automatically - not by a bloke zooming in on a grainy image and moving lines about - we need to accept there will be some margin of error.

Completely disagree.

No one felt aggrieved if a player's toe was offside and they scored against you. They would show a replay and it would look very tight and you'd accept it.

Only when it was a completely obvious offside would fans be angry. There has to be some common sense brought into the equation. I'm not sure how they adapt it to bring in some minimum threshold but this nonsense of zooming in down to pixels and moving lines around for 2 mins before essentially guessing (because the cameras aren't high quality enough) is a nonsense.

In its current form VAR can be used to ensure players who are yards offside are always penalised but on a millimetre scale makes no sense and just serves to take away enjoyment of celebrating a goal which is the highlight of a football match.

Until the technology develops to the point where we can be accurate down to the millimetre and decisions are done instantly and automatically - not by a bloke zooming in on a grainy image and moving lines about - we need to accept there will be some margin of error.

Yeah, let’s use “common sense”, no fans ever moaned about the use of that did they?

Fucking hell. We get offside decision making down to fine margin and people moan about it being too accurate.

I just don't buy your faith in the higher morals of UEFA, sorry. Den of snakes...they're complicit in this as well. They aren't being drug along, no matter how the publicly profess such.
Not faith just different selfish goals.

UEFA wanted a deeper CL as it takes control away from the big 8 clubs. By having it deeper smaller nations are likely to support uefa as they are reliant upon the CL.

There are plenty of examples over the past few negotiations.

In a weird way this whole thing has left me just as angry with players, Sky, UEFA and FIFA as it has Levy or any of the ESL group because it has reminded me of the bullshit and even worse to have the likes of UEFA, FIFA and such act the victim. Let us not forget.

- in 92 a group of clubs quit and set up the prem so they could get more money and let the Sky barstards in.

- Abramovich turns up fresh from stealing the money of the Russian people and buys Chelsea to whitewash his image. He proceeds to spend like hell inflating the cost of everything. Grants Chelsea success they never truly earned.

- Mansour comes in and does the same only to a much greater degree with City.

- FIFA take brown envelopes to give the World Cup to Qatar and Russia, vast numbers of forced workers (also known as slaves with a small wage) die building the stadiums in Qatar.

- During the middle of global pandemic PFA did at best the bare minimum and acted the cunt on wages even though clubs where suffering due to lost revenue.

This whole Super League debacle has reminded me of what’s happened before and while I am glad the ESL failed it was billionaires stealing from millionaires. For the fans to claim ‘’victory’’ this isn’t anywhere near enough, we are still customers not fans.

snip

- Abramovich turns up fresh from stealing the money of the Russian people and buys Chelsea to whitewash his image. He proceeds to spend like hell inflating the cost of everything. Grants Chelsea success they never truly earned.

- FIFA take brown envelopes to give the World Cup to Qatar and Russia, vast numbers of forced workers (also known as slaves with a small wage) die building the stadiums in Qatar.

- During the middle of global pandemic PFA did at best the bare minimum and acted the cunt on wages even though clubs where suffering due to lost revenue.

This whole Super League debacle has reminded me of what’s happened before and while I am glad the ESL failed it was billionaires stealing from millionaires. For the fans to claim ‘’victory’’ this isn’t anywhere near enough, we are still customers not fans.
Great post, thanks Tomo

In a weird way this whole thing has left me just as angry with players, Sky, UEFA and FIFA as it has Levy or any of the ESL group because it has reminded me of the bullshit and even worse to have the likes of UEFA, FIFA and such act the victim. Let us not forget.

- in 92 a group of clubs quit and set up the prem so they could get more money and let the Sky barstards in.

While I agree with everything you said there, the bright line distinction between all of that stuff and the ESL is the line between competing, however unfairly, versus eliminating competition.

However much filthy money powered Chelski and City, they still had to go out and win it on the pitch. However gross Qatar is, it will still field a tournament in which any nation can qualify and compete as equals.

While I agree with everything you said there, the bright line distinction between all of that stuff and the ESL is the line between competing, however unfairly, versus eliminating competition.

However much filthy money powered Chelski and City, they still had to go out and win it on the pitch. However gross Qatar is, it will still field a tournament in which any nation can qualify and compete as equals.
in an environment not fit for competitive football at world level

True but it’s competition in name only with City when they can buy 2-3 players for the same position each 20-40m each with no bother across the entire squad.

It’s the illusion of competition. The ESL took the illusion away and showed it for what it really is which is what caused the uproar.

Shame supporters aren't allowed to attend, We would have had 10k protesting today.
I hope there are still massive protests around the LC final. Too much to ask, but a walkout would be a pointed demonstration....first footy with spectators, and then the supports pack it in to protest outside?

Alas, I fear the death of the ESL will quell the angst.

I hope there are still massive protests around the LC final. Too much to ask, but a walkout would be a pointed demonstration....first footy with spectators, and then the supports pack it in to protest outside?

Alas, I fear the death of the ESL will quell the angst.
I dunno, it is a cup final after all, players should be supported.

Whole game needs reworking top to bottom. Anyone claiming victory has a small brain. UEFA and FIFA successfully rebranding themselves as victims is a misrepresentation. They managed to spook Sky, spook players by threatening international bans and those guys did a splendid job thereafter after convincing fans it would be a victory to force the clubs to back down and allow them to run their extremely similar "revamped UCL" plans through.

There's no material difference, except:

We won't be in it, because we are about to be crap again
UEFA will control the show, and so we just surpress the issues. Freud warned us about this stuff

Given where we are going, inevitably there weren't many rational reasons to reject the plan. Also, only the premier league ever talked about the teams leaving. It was just meant to be the premier european competition.

See you in 2030. I think i'll be around until about 2065. Let's see if Dave with his bovril and the kippers from the bricklayer's arms are holding up against Asia's nextgen and, indeed, our own brand of ultimate teamers then. I'm sure they'll all be sat about keenly watching Fulham v QPR on VR getting head from a robot saying "thank **** we didn't join that FAKKKKKIN super league - this is propah YOO-KAY culture DISS"

The Qatar World Cup is simply disgusting, I'm always amazed at how little coverage it gets.
5,000+ deaths at the last count. Fifa should've cancelled it years ago. Corrupt cunts.

Back
Top Bottom