European Super League OFF; Spurs face withdrawal fee

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you support the European Super League

• Total voters
Maybe it is being too suspicious but I reckon those super league contracts are all tucked away in a drawer somewhere waiting for the day when they can have another go. None of the 12 are seriously sorry.
I agree they’re not finished. Give it ten years and they’ll come back with a World Series. Two leagues of 20 with promotion/relegation and a World Series Cup and leave domestic leagues behind. New franchises started in places like India, China, Dubai, Saudi, Australia, Thailand, South Africa, etc.

Last edited:
Leaked by Der Spiegel, which was same as those which leaked the Man City FFP and various other documents, which turned out to be totally genuine, so don't doubt the validity of document, which also said that PSG, Bayern and Dortmund were joining but with 14 and 30 day delays.

Very much doubt there will be a €150m cost though, who would it be payable to ?, the shareholders, of which all the clubs are equal owners, so it would be left pocket, right pocket transaction in effect.
The formation cost of €10m is what we are unlikely to see again though.
Formation cost of 10 million Euros? Per club, or what? What on earth costs that amount? Lawyers?

I think that was a pretty reasonable and well articulated statement.

The biggest problem with the "Super League" thing IMO was how piss poorly they thought out and presented it, and in particular the way they communicated (or failed to) their notion of the format, making it sound like a completely closed shop that was going to shaft everyone else in football forever.

It's not hard to understand how this happened. Football is a crazy business financially - one season you are in a CL final and raking in 120m in additional revenue, a season later you aren't even in the CL and have zero of that revenue. It makes planning - 25 or so huge 4-5-6 year contracts - extremely difficult. I don't blame a bunch of clubs, who are largely responsible for generating a big percentage of football's revenues, from wanting to create a financial framework with slightly more reliable fiscal security built in.

Where they fucked up was piss poor preparation and presentation of their concept.

If they'd thought it through and made it clear that they didn't intend to screw around with domestic football, and were going to keep elements of meritocratic qualification (across Europe) for their "Super League" along with the founder member automatic inclusion, made it clear why they had been unable to consult fans at the embryonic stage but intended to going forward and likewise made it clear they were going to consult with FIFA and UEFA (and allocate them money from it as well) and also made it a clearer how they were going to generate and pass more revenue down the football food chain than the current "UEFA CL" model do now (and lets face it, nobody gets fucking diddly outside the CL clubs from the CL from UEFA now) - then this thing could have been at least been worth a serious conversation.

I think that was a pretty reasonable and well articulated statement.

The biggest problem with the "Super League" thing IMO was how piss poorly they thought out and presented it, and in particular the way they communicated (or failed to) their notion of the format, making it sound like a completely closed shop that was going to shaft everyone else in football forever.

It's not hard to understand how this happened. Football is a crazy business financially - one season you are in a CL final and raking in 120m in additional revenue, a season later you aren't even in the CL and have zero of that revenue. It makes planning - 25 or so huge 4-5-6 year contracts - extremely difficult. I don't blame a bunch of clubs, who are largely responsible for generating a big percentage of football's revenues, from wanting to create a financial framework with slightly more reliable fiscal security built in.

Where they fucked up was piss poor preparation and presentation of their concept.

If they'd thought it through and made it clear that they didn't intend to screw around with domestic football, and were going to keep elements of meritocratic qualification (across Europe) for their "Super League" along with the founder member automatic inclusion, made it clear why they had been unable to consult fans at the embryonic stage but intended to going forward and likewise made it clear they were going to consult with FIFA and UEFA (and allocate them money from it as well) and also made it a clearer how they were going to generate and pass more revenue down the football food chain than the current "UEFA CL" model do now (and lets face it, nobody gets fucking diddly outside the CL clubs from the CL from UEFA now) - then this thing could have been at least been worth a serious conversation.
None of that was ever their intention though, they have tried to claim in that statement that it was only something in the preparation phase and they had no idea it would include no relegtion etc.

It's all a bunch of horseshit mate, every word of that statement is a cooked up PR piece to try and soften the blow and shift blame.

It's an awful statement from a man and a corporate entity that has no care for the supporters and no intention of ever changing.

I think what this poster said sums it up perfectly.

"Still astounded by that mealy mouth statement from Levy/ENIC

I think the trust have been right about demanding to speak to Joe Lewis. You can't trust what Levy says. In that statement he tried to say the breakaway was just some kind of consultation event...and honestly, really, really supporter opinions were really important....and oh yes, when we signed up to no relegation we didn't think there'd be no relegation....honest!

No one should trust a word Levy says. How can you negotiate in good faith with Levy? The evidence is all out there in plain sight."

Perhaps but to me signing a contract and announcing you are starting a league, which is supposed to start in August, is "entering". I would argue it is pretty clear but if I was representing the clubs, I certainly would not say it was an "intention of entering". In reality there is not much difference between announcing "an intention to enter" and an announcement "to enter". What I would say is that is was a proposal.
Problem is they signed a contract, which Perez says is still legally binding. Wonder how much we will have pay out.
They fine was relating to not treating other teams with respect (don't have the wording)-token fine agreed by the clubs as league knew that the clubs hold most power.

They fine was relating to not treating other teams with respect (don't have the wording)-token fine agreed by the clubs as league knew that the clubs hold most power.
Interestingly, I tried to get the contract from the german paper but it was behind a paywall. Would be interesting to know what the liability is under the contract. The EPL fine is different from the liability under the ESL contract of course.
I agree the EPL sanction is crap.

Interestingly, I tried to get the contract from the german paper but it was behind a paywall. Would be interesting to know what the liability is under the contract. The EPL fine is different from the liability under the ESL contract of course.
I agree the EPL sanction is crap.
Crap but predictable.

Reddit has a summary of the article

This seems to be the binding part
Ezq8-MQX0AE18H0

Both as mustache-twirlingly evil and as poorly planned as a Bond villain scheme.
They wanted to undermine the CL changes (that they drove) so half assed. Also the key people in this didn't want to give the reluctant time to investigate /evaluate.

Take this £100 now or your nearest rival will.

Juve pushing this as they are skint and reportedly just gazumped RM on Alaba wages 16m to 25m.

Everyone scared to be left behind by the next phase of development of football - as Spurs were when PL came in after being almost bancrupt under Scholar we didn't have the squad to compete and missed out on a decade or so of development.

Seems agreed now that Real Madrid Chairman led the charge with seemingly implicit backing from FIFA Chairman, with everyone else scared to miss out.

Back
Top Bottom