European Super League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

European Super League leaks set to turn up heat in key EPL meeting

I was horrified to read this on the tube home from work yesterday. I never felt too concerned that this had a serious chance of happening in the past, but the way football is now, and the money in it, plus the fact that goons, Yanited and Liverpool all have US owners who aren't from a sporting culture with relegation/promotion involved (as the article says), makes me genuinely fearful.

The only good thing is we are not in the plans. But the fact that, if the article is to be believed, Levy is pissed off about not being part of the plans, reminds me that Levy is first and foremost a businessman, and secondly a Spurs fan. He wants us to succeed, but he's not 'one of our own' (as Stratford proved).

What do you think about it? And what are the chances, do you think, of it happening?

For me it might be the end, if we were to be part of it. Of the many things wrong with the plan, the worst part in my mind, is that it would take away the culture of following your club away from home, and having in the stadium two sets of fans who oppose each other. And that would reduce to a minimum the tribalism of football and turn it into more of a spectacle for consumers, like the opera, which is what the money men want (Levy included, I bet). Because not even the most hardcore could follow Spurs away in Europe every other weekend; it's just not feasible. And it wouldn't be like now, when a European away is regarded as a great opportunity for a trip, a novelty etc, so many fans travel, it would be the same European away games, week after week...I'd guess at most we would have 100 people there, and different people each time, and over time, that number might dwindle away so that the entire culture of away support is eradicated.

An English league in which we are competing with Leicester, Everton and Wolves for the title, would be like the Scottish Premier League, but it would be 1,000,000 x better than being in a European Super League.

I was horrified to read this on the tube home from work yesterday. I never felt too concerned that this had a serious chance of happening in the past, but the way football is now, and the money in it, plus the fact that goons, Yanited and Liverpool all have US owners who aren't from a sporting culture with relegation/promotion involved (as the article says), makes me genuinely fearful.

The only good thing is we are not in the plans. But the fact that, if the article is to be believed, Levy is pissed off about not being part of the plans, reminds me that Levy is first and foremost a businessman, and secondly a Spurs fan. He wants us to succeed, but he's not 'one of our own' (as Stratford proved).

What do you think about it? And what are the chances, do you think, of it happening?

For me it might be the end, if we were to be part of it. Of the many things wrong with the plan, the worst part in my mind, is that it would take away the culture of following your club away from home, and having in the stadium two sets of fans who oppose each other. And that would reduce to a minimum the tribalism of football and turn it into more of a spectacle for consumers, like the opera, which is what the money men want (Levy included, I bet). Because not even the most hardcore could follow Spurs away in Europe every other weekend; it's just not feasible. And it wouldn't be like now, when a European away is regarded as a great opportunity for a trip, a novelty etc, so many fans travel, it would be the same European away games, week after week...I'd guess at most we would have 100 people there, and different people each time, and over time, that number might dwindle away so that the entire culture of away support is eradicated.

An English league in which we are competing with Leicester, Everton and Wolves for the title, would be like the Scottish Premier League, but it would be 1,000,000 x better than being in a European Super League.
A league without relegation will ultimately fail.

Levy is first and foremost a businessman, and it will be in his interest to have Spurs in any League like this, because the value of the club would go through the roof, dwarfing any stadium cost overruns. Gets him out of jail, big time.

I don't think it will happen. I would expect the PL to be able to block it, or at least block English clubs from participating.

I too would hate it. I've been to 12 of the current away PL grounds, I love going to away matches. Palace in the rain was a blast. Drenched, groggy voice the next day, even caught most of the England All Blacks match in a pub which served a decent pint of Doom. How much of that would have happened if I'd spent a ton of money on flights to Madrid, say? I wouldn't even have got drenched

:dembelewtf:

Levy is first and foremost a businessman, and it will be in his interest to have Spurs in any League like this, because the value of the club would go through the roof, dwarfing any stadium cost overruns. Gets him out of jail, big time.

I don't think it will happen. I would expect the PL to be able to block it, or at least block English clubs from participating.

I too would hate it. I've been to 12 of the current away PL grounds, I love going to away matches. Palace in the rain was a blast. Drenched, groggy voice the next day, even caught most of the England All Blacks match in a pub which served a decent pint of Doom. How much of that would have happened if I'd spent a ton of money on flights to Madrid, say? I wouldn't even have got drenched

:dembelewtf:
The problem is I'm not sure they would be able to block it, as simply as that. I think they could say the clubs will be thrown out of the FA, but they can't prevent them from doing what they want. It would be a risk for those clubs, because the Super League could fail and then they would need to reapply and potentially start at the bottom of the pyramid.

People have talked for a long while about the football bubble eventually bursting, and a European Super League could be what it takes to make that happen.

The problem is I'm not sure they would be able to block it, as simply as that. I think they could say the clubs will be thrown out of the FA, but they can't prevent them from doing what they want. It would be a risk for those clubs, because the Super League could fail and then they would need to reapply and potentially start at the bottom of the pyramid.

People have talked for a long while about the football bubble eventually bursting, and a European Super League could be what it takes to make that happen.
If the players are denied entry to the world cup it will fail.

I believe it would fail, because most of those teams are going to get disillusioned very quickly when they realize they can't all be chasing first and second. Could you imagine a league in which Woolwich scrapes the bottom quartile every single season?

I'm tired of wasting my breath on this. I hope they go through with it and it goes tits up.

It'll be all dependant on FIFA, UEFA and the FA. If all those organisations would ban players and teams competing in this 'Super League' it isn't inviting for players of they can't compete at international level.

UEFA don't won't it cos it would undermine the Champions League, same with the FA and our league. There's also minor examples of this happening in other sports, The English Rugby Football Union won't select players from non English leagues (this was brought in when the French league stopped having a wage cap to protect the English league) and I'm pretty sure when the IPL started in cricket loads of national boards soundly pick players who chose to turn out for an IPL team.

I believe it would fail, because most of those teams are going to get disillusioned very quickly when they realize they can't all be chasing first and second. Could you imagine a league in which Woolwich scrapes the bottom quartile every single season?

I'm tired of wasting my breath on this. I hope they go through with it and it goes tits up.

Never thought of that. An elite group would emerge and you’d end up with some whipping boys at the bottom. Not much glory in being an international West Ham

Also, I've always been heavily opposed to the idea, but the formation of a breakaway "Super League" may be the ideal (perhaps only) opportunity for the Scottish League to be absorbed into the FA.

If you lost the 5 mercenary clubs but brought up Leeds, the 2 Sheffield clubs, Villa and Derby you would still have sell out grounds and competitive matches.

As I said in the other thread, it’s against FIFA rules and should be killed as an infant. The Super Clubs want to play hardball? Fine. Ban them from their domestic leagues and CL for a year.

p.s. I have no intention of following football in some American Super league played at weird hours for Asian fans. With all my love for Tottenham you sometimes have to let your lover go.

As I said in the other thread, it’s against FIFA rules and should be killed as an infant. The Super Clubs want to play hardball? Fine. Ban them from their domestic leagues and CL for a year.

p.s. I have no intention of following football in some American Super league played at weird hours for Asian fans. With all my love for Tottenham you sometimes have to let your lover go.
Do you honestly have any real faith that FIFA would come down hard on this list of clubs?

Thats a good point I never thought of.

Also, I could get used to us winning the league every year

Football is already on the verge of consuming itself through obscene greed. This (if introduced) will simply create another tier of greed. If these “elite clubs” want to globetrot for the benefit of a world audience then they may as well give up their stadia for car parks & say goodbye to their fan base in this country. It would be hilarious watching the likes of Woolwich finishing bottom of the pile every year whilst being hawked around every corner of the globe & seeing the tumbleweed rolling through the Death Star (ok, not much different there)
Football for their fans would become the ultimate armchair pastime. Let’s face it, not many of them would have the time or money to follow them round the world, getting licked every week by the likes of Madrid & Barca.
Let them have their “super league”. It will change the face of their footballing experience forever. I just hope it never touches us as a club. It would be the kiss of death. I can understand fully the growing attraction to lower/non league football. It may not be too long before many “fans” just turn their back on top level football in favour of a more familiar experience.

If there are going to be loads more cross Europe games we either need to reduce the PL size or ditch the league cup

Admittedly I haven’t read much on this, but I’m fairly sure the idea would be to have a “breakaway” league. Teams involved wouldn’t then compete in their own domestic leagues or cup competitions.

Admittedly I haven’t read much on this, but I’m fairly sure the idea would be to have a “breakaway” league. Teams involved wouldn’t then compete in their own domestic leagues or cup competitions.

The latest is that idea has been scrapped - but Uefa are talking to the teams about more cross Europe games / competitions instead, with domestic leagues continuing as they are.

Back
Top Bottom