European Super League

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And miles per hour, stones for weights and pounds, shillings and pence.

Cost of a pint;
£7 17s and 11d
How I hate these suggestions!

If only it were really that easy to say to all those money-hungry officials: "Without me!"
It doesn't work, I'm already looking forward to the next game - and they know it!

Only today I read in the "kicker" about the allegations that ManCity is made.
This miserable lie about FFP - this obvious "kid pucking people!" - this corrupt bastard really gets on my nerves! I'm just old and naive!

I wish for the old European Cups back, knockout games from the first game and that's it.

But - I see it every day at home - nobody listens to me!

Not sure letting incompetent governments and politicians into ruling over football is a good idea whatsoever.

Not sure letting incompetent governments and politicians into ruling over football is a good idea whatsoever.
Whilst the ESL sounds like a dick move, what exactly is the difference between 20 teams breaking away from the football league to form the premier league, and teams wanting to to essentially the same for Europe?

Whilst the ESL sounds like a dick move, what exactly is the difference between 20 teams breaking away from the football league to form the premier league, and teams wanting to to essentially the same for Europe?

I kind of meant them governing the sport seems a terrible idea. They’ll use the ESL example of a threat to why governance should happen to appeal to fans but I’m not sure them ruling over the whole of the English football pyramid is a good idea at all.

To be fair a regulator isn’t a bad thing. I work in finance mainly in risk and since the 2008 banking crisis worked on implement very strong capital and liquidity metrics within my bank. They really bust your balls and I have worked till 4 in the morning many times while they (PRA/FCA) work 9-5 their end.

However it has meant that during this Covid none of the major banks had any big issues like 2008, they all stood firm and retail wasn’t exposed to trading. Had Covid happened without these requirements there could easily have been a 2008 repeat.

Football doesn’t impact the world like finance but there is a culture of greed perhaps worse than banking pre-2008. Forcing clubs to run good books, a workable and much stronger FFP and governce will be painful but if it’s as effective as banking regs it will dramatically improve football.

The biggest need for a regulator though is large tech firms, that is like a Wild West. Football I think has been caught in the cross hairs because it is so obviously corrupt.

A lot of these suggestions sound good.

I like the idea that the government will stop clubs from going under. The criticism is that football is a business, not a sport but if the HMRC can wind clubs up, then they will always be a business first, club second. So this sort-of addresses that.

Also big changes like colours, stadium, etc needing fan approval are good.

A lot of these suggestions sound good.

I like the idea that the government will stop clubs from going under. The criticism is that football is a business, not a sport but if the HMRC can wind clubs up, then they will always be a business first, club second. So this sort-of addresses that.

Also big changes like colours, stadium, etc needing fan approval are good.

I do think it will have to go further though. The aspect of relegation means small clubs over spend in the hope of staying in the prem. The advantage doped clubs like City have or big clubs like United have in the market makes the competitive environment weak. The FFP side has to grow bigger teeth and advantages need to be given to small clubs to help remove the disparity.

PL wouldn't happen in the current political environment.

I do think it will have to go further though. The aspect of relegation means small clubs over spend in the hope of staying in the prem. The advantage doped clubs like City have or big clubs like United have in the market makes the competitive environment weak. The FFP side has to grow bigger teeth and advantages need to be given to small clubs to help remove the disparity.
The reality is that FFP without other measures, such as hard spending caps and revenue sharing, only serves to lock in the status quo. City, and Chelsea before them, Newcastle next, have been keeping dodgy accounts. But their bought success has earned them legitimate revenue that far outpaces all but a handful of clubs.

If forced to live within their means they could easily dump expensive contracts, reel in spending, and still comfortably outspend all but the top 6. Meanwhile lesser clubs would be forced to take the long ENIC-like slog of decades long revenue growth.

Strong FFP alone really only benefits us, Liverpool, and United...probably United the most, as they'd reclaim their spending dominance. It's not as if the PL was a dynamic competition before doped clubs showed up.

Back
Top Bottom