Everton Away

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, but plenty to do with us not scoring any!!
I still think if AVB is gonna play Holtby, then Defoe seems his most natural 'partner' and likewise Eriksen/Soldado.

I just hope that AVB isn't trying to force a partnership or be stubborn by persisting with the Holtby/Soldado combo when they're both more clearly suited to other people..
ROBBIE: "it's not you, it's me, I just prefer Danish guys..."
Agreed, when he picked Defoe but left Holtby out i thought it was a daft decision, as they do seem to have a good understanding.

Again lots of negativity on here because we didn't score (it's only the second time it's happened right?) Surprises me because from watching the game on sky our first half is the best I've seen us play in the league this season. Game was dead set for a 0-0 after we missed several good chances in the first half. They stepped up a little the second half and we had a few lucky escapes!

Agree with you @ Blanchflower Blanchflower once Sandro came off our tackling and possession seemed to drop massively! The beast was doing a great job at nullifying Lukaku.

Thought Soldado looked massively frustrated at some points and was unlucky not to set up Vertonghan with the chance that should have been a pen. Worried the lack of the ball is winding him up now.

Vertonghan looked pure class at left back, Lennon started bright but seemed absent as the game wore on. Still wondering where Ade is, would have liked to see him coming on for Soldado possibly...

I'm disappointed we didn't get a goal for all that first half pressure, Goodison Park may well be a tough place to go but we had them on the rack and really should have taken advantage.

Omg, again with the lamela should start talk I thot we agreed that he wasn't ready to start, people seem to forget his flaccid performances recently. And those saying that he has to start premier league then he will show his worth, how does that even make sense? So you telling me he only here to perform in the league and any other performance is irrelevant.

I know we all unhappy with our attack but saying lamela is the answer is stupid ATM. And people also blaming our lacklustre attack on holtby's inclusion are also being stupid we were just as bad when eriksen was in the starting line-up.

Our problem isn't our personnel it's our gameplan and tactics, all this inverted winger shit is killing us why can't we go back to old fashioned wing play, we must have some of the fastest players in the premier league but the slowest attack and build-up. AVB wants another Gareth Bale so his forcing inverted wingers on the team, it just isn't working for us.

I don't think peoples are saying that Lamela is the answer. But with a struggling attack and a 30m attacking purchase riding the pine. Lamela's inclusion has merit

I don't think peoples are saying that Lamela is the answer. But with a struggling attack and a 30m attacking purchase riding the pine. Lamela's inclusion has merit

He and Townsend have both had chances, Townsend has largely done better with them. Even if he's not scored outside of the freak cross vs. Villa, he's imposed himself on the game and given us more spark than Erik has.

Again, price tag is totally irrelevant to everything. It's how you use your minutes, and Andros is still a few streets ahead of Lamela in that respect.

He and Townsend have both had chances, Townsend has largely done better with them. Even if he's not scored outside of the freak cross vs. Villa, he's imposed himself on the game and given us more spark than Erik has.

Again, price tag is totally irrelevant to everything. It's how you use your minutes, and Andros is still a few streets ahead of Lamela in that respect.

He's looked better every game for 'shots off target' a few games ago he was shooting when he could have played someone in, yesterday he only shot when there was no one to play in.

Not quite so sure it's totally irrelevant... a home-grown youngster is always going to be given more time by their own fans, than the 'expectation' heaped (whether we're conscious of it or not) on a player who must 'prove' their value...
if you compare a player like Townsend, (who cost the club £0.00) with Lamela, I think you'll find most people are at least curious to see why we shelled out £30m on him!

Lamela WILL prove himself at this (and most probably a much higher) level!

In Eriksen, Holtby & Lamela we have three of the most promising, rising stars of European and World football... AT OUR CLUB... AT THE SAME TIME!
Of course, they're yet to reach their peak... they're kids! But hopefully they will do so...
AT OUR CLUB... AT THE SAME TIME!

Disappointing not to score but how sexy is our defence right now? Chiriches looking like a top player right now on and off the ball.

Was talking to a friend the night before the game and apparently Lukaku is the new Chuck Norris. Well Lukaku went off with ice on his knee while Lloris shrugged it off to make a couple of good saves.

Townsend has 8 Prem starts. Lamela has 0 Prem starts. Tough to say both have been given their chance at the starting RW role.

Townsend has been solid but the productivity simply isn't there so far. 0 assists. 1 goal on a crossing attempt.

I dont mean to knock AT, but we need productivity from the Front 3 which we've only seen from Siggy. And with Rose being out, Siggy is tough to start now at LW b/c we need some type of width on that side.

And that price tag is far from irrelevant. That astronomical number represents a belief in his quality. Lets give him a run or two to see what he is capable of. The attack could use a spark and just maybe Lamela is the player that brings it.

With Rose out, I would love to actually keep Townsend in the S11 on the left to provide the width and Lamela on the right w/ Walker making the runs down the wing. We don't need inverted wingers on both sides and something that AVB seems to be rather stubborn on around his tactics.

To repeat Lamela has had chances and will get another chance on Thursday. That's the beauty of being in so many competitions, all our fit players get a chance to shine. Lamela is used to playing on the Continent, he will face a Continental side on Thursday, on our home soil, and hopefully with a supportive crowd. How much more of a chance do you want?

Lamela's inclusion has merit but so does plenty of others.

He will be included on Thursday, let him take the chance. For ABV, and me :) the EL is very important. Go Erik, do the business for us and help wrap up qualification.

I disagree with that, but I understand that POV completely. Nobody has the exact solution right now including the man in charge.

To repeat Lamela has had chances and will get another chance on Thursday. That's the beauty of being in so many competitions, all our fit players get a chance to shine. Lamela is used to playing on the Continent, he will face a Continental side on Thursday, on our home soil, and hopefully with a supportive crowd. How much more of a chance do you want?

To repeat, I dont view getting a chance in Europa as a solution to our attacking problems in the Prem fixtures.

We can disagree. No biggie. I get where you're coming from.

Again lots of negativity on here because we didn't score (it's only the second time it's happened right?) Surprises me because from watching the game on sky our first half is the best I've seen us play in the league this season. Game was dead set for a 0-0 after we missed several good chances in the first half. They stepped up a little the second half and we had a few lucky escapes!

Agree with you @ Blanchflower Blanchflower once Sandro came off our tackling and possession seemed to drop massively! The beast was doing a great job at nullifying Lukaku.

Thought Soldado looked massively frustrated at some points and was unlucky not to set up Vertonghan with the chance that should have been a pen. Worried the lack of the ball is winding him up now.

Vertonghan looked pure class at left back, Lennon started bright but seemed absent as the game wore on. Still wondering where Ade is, would have liked to see him coming on for Soldado possibly...

Third time mate, we failed to score v arse and ham. (We also failed in 90mins v Cardiff, and failed from open play v Palace, Swansea and Hull (not exactly the league's strongest teams))

I'm disappointed we didn't get a goal for all that first half pressure, Goodison Park may well be a tough place to go but we had them on the rack and really should have taken advantage.
Given our midfield dominance and the ability to snuff out their attacks at will - it makes the decision to withdraw Sandro more baffling still.
I realise that we needed a creative spark to feed the lonely and underused talents of Soldado, but I would have thought that swapping the two wide men onto their stronger feet, replacing Holtby with Eriksen and leaving Sandro on the pitch would have made far more sense.
Hopefully it will dawn on AVB that having two talented wide men running infield down Soldados back isn't as profitable as two wide men placing accurate crosses off their better foot in front of him - might be a better policy. If nothing else, it might be something that he could vary in the game, rather than doggedly sticking to a tactic that isn't working.

Given our midfield dominance and the ability to snuff out their attacks at will - it makes the decision to withdraw Sandro more baffling still.
I realise that we needed a creative spark to feed the lonely and underused talents of Soldado, but I would have thought that swapping the two wide men onto their stronger feet, replacing Holtby with Eriksen and leaving Sandro on the pitch would have made far more sense.
Hopefully it will dawn on AVB that having two talented wide men running infield down Soldados back isn't as profitable as two wide men placing accurate crosses off their better foot in front of him - might be a better policy. If nothing else, it might be something that he could vary in the game, rather than doggedly sticking to a tactic that isn't working.
Sandro asked to come off, he was injured.

Agreed. I think he has been improving, the last hour against Hull he was looking like he had relaxed and was more willing to try things. It can't be easy being so young with the weight of the price tag expectation on his shoulders. I get the feeling that he's too scared to try and rinse someone with his flare incase he doesn't pull it off and all the cunts at the lane lay in to him. Another nice long run out in a low pressure game can only help him.

Back
Top Bottom