Everton vs Spurs - Sunday, November 7 14:00 GMT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No - the frame of the goal isn't the target. It's the area inside the frame of the goal that's the target, so my last post was correct - and Gio's shot, excellent as it nearly was, wasn't on target.

:contesmile:
As pointed out, you have a higher chance of scoring off the woodwork than you do tamely passing to the keeper.

I'd rather have multiple "off target" shots hitting the woodwork, than increasing a meaningless stat by kicking it at the keeper.

I mean, the players could come out for the next game and think fuck this stupid stat, let's just have some pathetic chances and stop every one saying it. We ain't gonna score but hey. apparently 3 or 4 shots on target with no goals is better than no shots on target and no goals.

For sure. You could hit the woodwork a dozen times but that would still be trumped by a feeble effort straight at the keeper

The main point is, they are both not goals and you’re more likely to score a goal with a shot on target than with one going wide nine out of ten times. Plus watch Micah Richards’ analysis on us on MOTD2, we aren’t working hard enough in attack to get shots off. To think anything else is just accepting an excuse.

As pointed out, you have a higher chance of scoring off the woodwork than you do tamely passing to the keeper.

I'd rather have multiple "off target" shots hitting the woodwork, than increasing a meaningless stat by kicking it at the keeper.

I mean, the players could come out for the next game and think fuck this stupid stat, let's just have some pathetic chances and stop every one saying it.
We ain't gonna score but hey. apparently 3 or 4 shots on target with no goals is better than no shots on target and no goals.
PLEASE don't give them ideas!

I am glad I wasn’t the only one that’s heard him say it a couple of times, I thought I was going mad!

What does it mean!?!?
That's the beauty of it. It means whatever you want it to mean.

It's Evelébty! (emphasis on the 3rd 'e')

Last edited:
No idea how this wasn't a card of some sort

Za10pVY.gif

Good analysis from Micah Richards, too many of our players walking about when we're attacking, just completely lacking the desire to get the ball to feet, find a pocket of space to receive the ball and have that intensity to really take control of the attacking play. Just a bunch of sheep waiting for the sheep dog to get their asses into gear
The fitness of the squad is not there yet for them to be going full pelt all the time. I wouldn't be surprised if, after Thursday's exertion, Conte deliberately kept the tempo lower to make sure we don't cede the initiative to Everton because we got knackered midway through the match. We may have not created chance after chance, but we did have at least two really good ones with Reggie and Royal and another two that would have been gimmes had the final pass been crisper.

Until the fitness of the squad is up to snuff I would expect more of the same: solid defensively and getting more decent when attacking by the game. The positive for me was that we were more direct. If something got me frustrated it was the missed final passes and missed chances, rather than what used to get me frustrated before, which was the overall negative play. To me that a small sign of progress. It's a process and will not happen overnight.

But it still hits the frame of the goal.... which IS the target, whether it has more spin/and or a deflection to help it go in is missing the point.

A shot that HITS the frame of the goal IS a shot on target, surely?

...and if so, then the 0 shots on target stat was wrong yesterday!

As someone already said, a daisy cutter at a snails' pace that Hugo picks up blindfolded and doesn't particularly bother anyone DOES count a s a shot on target (and adds to the all important Monday morning Opta/xG co-efficient FIFA Pro stats) ...yet a shot that strikes the post of the FRAME of the TARGET, giving us ALL that brief moment of "it's in", doesn't count as a shot on target just 'cos it bounces out?

s'a bit weird, thass all!
If it goes in off the post it is on target.

The shot did not go in off the post. No one touched the shot and it didn’t go in. Therefore, not on target.

The target is to get it over the goal line. Not hit the post.

I disagree because we had really good chances yesterday.
The xG of 0.52 for Everton could well have been more like 0.0 if not for 2 pathetic shots on target.
We got into fantastic positions to score yesterday, especially those 2 fullback chances in the 6 yard box. That means more than simply registering a shot on target to me.

We had two decent chances all game, it wasn’t much. It was more than Everton had sure… but you need shots on target to score goals. We haven’t had a single one in so long. That’s really not good.

You don’t have to view shots on target as the holy grail to see getting zero in this amount of time means something is up.

No idea how this wasn't a card of some sort

Za10pVY.gif

Probably constitutes a yellow but he's got excited and tried to get the ball. Just as the clip ends you can see his immediate reaction was to put his hand towards Son as if to apologise.
The other one was nasty, studs up in the air and lunging.

On a side note, their fans must be complete idiots to boo Son for the whole match. He never touched Gomes and it was proven to be the case. Gomes even acknowledged it.

Hes been great for us when he came. One of the few highlights of last season.
Sorry. Can't agree. He's a a boring, unimaginative plodder which is part of the problem that we've had for a few years. Boring and totally non creative midfield. I'm hoping Conte is able to fire up Dobby. Or buy someone like Adama.

Back
Top Bottom