F.A Cup 1st round.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A shame about the result but hopefully some decent money to help take the club forward. Plus the publicity - maybe a few more fans?

A shame about the result but hopefully some decent money to help take the club forward. Plus the publicity - maybe a few more fans?
I read on twitter that they earned roughly 100 grand for the game. Which for a club of their size is a fantastic amount of money

The thing is, that big game is really for all the people who go there through thick and thin, it's their day in the sun.

New fans off the back of a cup run don't tend to stick around so long. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule.

I hope that the first round does bring all the non league teams few more fans, not just the other team on White Hart Lane but you only do that by having a nice ground and a team playing good football.

The FA Cup is still magical, but below the conference level it is getting less people through the gates, it does need some of the grass roots money to keep the traditions alive.

The occasional big pay day is wonderful, in most cases it will just help settle old debts or cover that season's players wage shortfall (possibly the next few with the bigger pay outs).

If spurs are away try out your local non league club, there's no seat booking rubbish, you can watch the game with a beer in your hand and you can chat with rival fans without any need for segregation.

It's never going to be as good in terms of quality but it's a pretty chilled out way to watch a game and every penny spent there really does count for something.

The thing is, that big game is really for all the people who go there through thick and thin, it's their day in the sun.

New fans off the back of a cup run don't tend to stick around so long. There are, of course, exceptions to the rule.

I hope that the first round does bring all the non league teams few more fans, not just the other team on White Hart Lane but you only do that by having a nice ground and a team playing good football.

The FA Cup is still magical, but below the conference level it is getting less people through the gates, it does need some of the grass roots money to keep the traditions alive.

The occasional big pay day is wonderful, in most cases it will just help settle old debts or cover that season's players wage shortfall (possibly the next few with the bigger pay outs).

If spurs are away try out your local non league club, there's no seat booking rubbish, you can watch the game with a beer in your hand and you can chat with rival fans without any need for segregation.

It's never going to be as good in terms of quality but it's a pretty chilled out way to watch a game and every penny spent there really does count for something.
This 100%

What made Boro take action and go on a big fan recruitment drive for fans was a few years back they had 2 fans pay to get in, 2!
So they gave away season tickets, with it in mind that if some of those bought a programme, beer, hotdog etc,at least they would get some money back. We now have average crowds of over 200.
We even turned up at the player of year awards back in the Summer, something that had never happened before(fans turning up). Several players came over and said to my group(about 15 of us) that really appreciated our support and we had made a difference. Can't tell you how good that felt
I was Enfield Town the Saturday before last for the local derby, and it was superb there as well. Loads of fans wishing us well for the big cup game, and a fair few even turned up.I can't praise non league football enough. I love it.
I have been to football matches in places I never thought I would.
Its a lot less stressful than watching Spurs as well :)

This 100%

What made Boro take action and go on a big fan recruitment drive for fans was a few years back they had 2 fans pay to get in, 2!
So they gave away season tickets, with it in mind that if some of those bought a programme, beer, hotdog etc,at least they would get some money back. We now have average crowds of over 200.
We even turned up at the player of year awards back in the Summer, something that had never happened before(fans turning up). Several players came over and said to my group(about 15 of us) that really appreciated our support and we had made a difference. Can't tell you how good that felt
I was Enfield Town the Saturday before last for the local derby, and it was superb there as well. Loads of fans wishing us well for the big cup game, and a fair few even turned up.I can't praise non league football enough. I love it.
I have been to football matches in places I never thought I would.
Its a lot less stressful than watching Spurs as well :)
I've always followed non league football wherever I've lived. For the most part, it's been teams in Sussex (hence being a Lewes FC fan and owner). Now I've got Walton & Hersham, who are in a desperate state. I like the fact that any money I put into the club actually means something. Non league clubs also do wonders for local communities. W&H have a great youth and minis section, which sadly may be the only part of the club that survives long term.

I am a fan of non-league as well. Me Legacy Lilywhite Legacy Lilywhite are vying for overall control of Lewes FC at the moment but he is getting a horse's head in the bed soon so it should be all mine soon enough.

Once people get in to it, they love it. None of the absolute bullshit that you get in professional football. I would recommend it to anyone. I know a few ex-WHU season ticket holders that now do Chelmsford home & away (stuck to their principles & jacked in WHU after the move to Stratford which i respect them for immensely).

Back
Top Bottom