FA Cup 5th Rd - Tottenham Vs Norwich, Weds 4th March 2020.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The trouble is, having gone through cancer I thought I had a reasonable understanding of the disease. In fact more than one medical professional who I have come into contact with during my time in the NHS has commented that I sound "clued up" or had a medical background. However, in one of the abstracts you posted there was an enormous amount of medical abbreviations and jargon that I've never come across. It means absolutely nothing to me. Completely pointless in the average man on the street (internet football forum) reading it. If you understand it then fair fucks to you (although I have my doubts that it is all second nature to you). However, I can completely understand why some people will rile against it, and maybe those people just need to ignore it or put you on ignore. I'm sure it's no skin off of your nose anyway. I think it falls somewhere completely different to quackery, but I also think it's not nearly as revelatory or revolutionary as you think / suspect or hope.

It's come from years of reading about various aspects on nutrition (decades sadly!), like you say I'm not some genius with this stuff (well maybe just a little bit deep I guess), mostly the Cancer terms familiarity comes from researching Flax for several years (and minerals, ionisation, pH balancing stuff) so have become very conversant with white papers and taking in terms which put others off, plus my own colon/digestive issues which have led to researching foods and their qualities/issues.

The wording comes from Scientists (related to Blueberry), not me, please try to pull those things apart, I understand the feeling of 'why wasn't I told' but I started the thread posts by saying this is new data in medical terms (the studies started in 2010, meaningfully), it was never meant to suggest that it should replace traditional treatment (if the studies made that impression then that was bullishness I don't adhere to either).

However, we are in an age where many people know a set of nutritional factors which are very important to cancer in various ways (most people know about Fructose, or Otto Warburgs Nobel research, for example). Personally I don't have Blueberries, they are acidic (so personally think they may cause other issues more prevalent if not taken in a broader context which is beyond the scope of this discussion) and not in my outlook, but I think the studies are very promising (and if I was diagnosed I would research the shit out of it myself).

None of it is ever meant to offend or upset anyone, please be clear, Cancer affects us all.

That link is currently considered very tenuous for non-smokers and is not exactly strong for smokers at this point either. I'm not agreeing with whatever you're responding to because I haven't even read it; I have, however, read the most recent meta-analyses and reviews on beta-carotene supplementation. I'm a published neuroscientist with a background in general medical science and this specific topic is of interest to me as an ex-smoker and user of beta-carotene to induce mild xanthoderma.

Isn't it all relative to the form of beta-carotene, thought it was a cheap supplemental form which was potentially carcinogenic in the sense Todd1882 eludes to?

Getting a whole food supplemental form negates this potential danger I recall a chemist claim, but it's too late to find the research tonight.

Todd1882 was comparing apples to oranges in multiple ways IMO...

"Cancer Council recommends people obtain their nutritional requirements from whole foods, rather than individual nutrients in a supplement form, and avoid taking high doses (>18 mg) of β-carotene supplements, especially if they smoke. "

Last edited:
Try telling ENIC that.
We seem to understand.
I think the summer shopping list will show us what their long term intentions are. If we don't invest heavily, it's all over. I'll be supporting a Championship team in a year or two.
I can live with that.

:mourfacepalm:

I think it depends how much the THFC ENIC stadium can make from other activities, such as naming rights, American football, Boxing, concerts...etc. If ENIC can make the same money or there abouts then why bother and take risks to invest in the team?! Make it maintain top 10 PL status with steady income and Bob is your uncle.

Another div that thinks ENIC have taken money out of the club. :wall:

I wasn't giving advice FFS, it was about a broader post set, and if you look on Pubmed there are countless studies related to Blueberries and Cancer, I simply posted about the studies, the reader can make their own decisions on what to draw from it, that is not advice, but the picture and stats showed very strong promise whatever way you want to wrap it up...

Countless studies, I am giving no advice.

i bought a smoothy make and make raspberry, blueberry, banana and oats smoothies daily. Go me.

The trouble is, having gone through cancer I thought I had a reasonable understanding of the disease. In fact more than one medical professional who I have come into contact with during my time in the NHS has commented that I sound "clued up" or had a medical background. However, in one of the abstracts you posted there was an enormous amount of medical abbreviations and jargon that I've never come across. It means absolutely nothing to me. Completely pointless in the average man on the street (internet football forum) reading it. If you understand it then fair fucks to you (although I have my doubts that it is all second nature to you). However, I can completely understand why some people will rile against it, and maybe those people just need to ignore it or put you on ignore. I'm sure it's no skin off of your nose anyway. I think it falls somewhere completely different to quackery, but I also think it's not nearly as revelatory or revolutionary as you think / suspect or hope.
My osteopath is convinced the answer is found in apricot stones. He's convinced.

It's come from years of reading about various aspects on nutrition (decades sadly!), like you say I'm not some genius with this stuff (well maybe just a little bit deep I guess), mostly the Cancer terms familiarity comes from researching Flax for several years (and minerals, ionisation, pH balancing stuff) so have become very conversant with white papers and taking in terms which put others off, plus my own colon/digestive issues which have led to researching foods and their qualities/issues.

The wording comes from Scientists (related to Blueberry), not me, please try to pull those things apart, I understand the feeling of 'why wasn't I told' but I started the thread posts by saying this is new data in medical terms (the studies started in 2010, meaningfully), it was never meant to suggest that it should replace traditional treatment (if the studies made that impression then that was bullishness I don't adhere to either).

However, we are in an age where many people know a set of nutritional factors which are very important to cancer in various ways (most people know about Fructose, or Otto Warburgs Nobel research, for example). Personally I don't have Blueberries, they are acidic (so personally think they may cause other issues more prevalent if not taken in a broader context which is beyond the scope of this discussion) and not in my outlook, but I think the studies are very promising (and if I was diagnosed I would research the shit out of it myself).

None of it is ever meant to offend or upset anyone, please be clear, Cancer affects us all.
This forum is turning into The Lancet!

This forum is turning into The Lancet!
I, for one, welcome this sudden upswing in the nature and quality of the discourse. Welcome, all you medical dilettantes and pop psychologists! Come one, come all, to the amazing cock forum, where we talk about more than just your genital health and sometimes football.

Dier our best player. (yes, read that again)

Bergwign and Gedson, on the evidence of the last couple of months, are journeymen and no upgrade on N'jie and Nkoudou. Bergwign should have been pulled after 30 minutes after he'd touched the ball about three times and done nothing. I thought the guy had pace but was shown a clean pair of heels by the Norwich championship-level right back. Embarassing.

Gedson almost as bad. Capped off by rolling the ball to Krul at the end. You could see that he wasn't up for the penalty by the way he crawled from the half-way line to the spot. Should have been subbed himself when Parrot was brought on.

The moment ET was over Krul raced to the dugout to pick up his 'homework' on our penalty takers. Vorm stood with the others presumably congratulating themselves on making it to penalties. Professional eh? Can anyone explain why Vorm as playing?

Dele also put in an embarrassing performance. Opposition must breathe a sign of relief when we play the ball to him. Guaranteed he will check back, slow things down, roll the ball backwards, lose possession or win a throw (a major achievement for us last night)

Lo Celso showed a few touches but is so one-footed, Norwich defenders can shepherd him onto his right - which he uses for standing on.

Our 'super-sub' Ndombele - another embarassment. He waddles around for 10-15m before having to take a blow. - £55m! Runs like a duck, plays like a duck.

Skipp had a good game - but him and Winks in the same team? They're essentially the same player occupying two positions in midfield. One or other, but not both. On the evidence of last night, Skipp should be given a run.

Lucas, Lamela (why was he fit yesterday, but not Sunday?) more extreme average performances.

No on field leader to threaten underperformers!

Vertonghen gets a free pass because he scored but his days are numbered.

Our defence looks like the Keystone Cops at times. Against a team that will be playing at Rotherham (if they go up) and Hull next season.

I'm afraid that a lot of this goes back to our refusal to re-inforce over two transfer windows; catastrophic loss of form of Eriksen, Dele, Dier etc; players ageing; and injuries.

Oh well, on the Burnley (please do something different - even if we have to play the kids.)
What a weird post.
It’s because of the summer of 2018? Two windows you said....which other window? January 2019? What about January 2018 and summer 2019, or is it only the windows we dont sign someone that has an effect.

You’ve just written off all our signings as shit.
Would they be world class if we signed them a year earlier?

People seem to think that if we signed anyone in the infamous summer of 2018, it would have been Gascoigne, Roberts and Hoddle levels of player, because that’s what we need here.

It wouldn’t. It would have been 70M for Zaha, and 40M for Grealish and you’d all still be sitting here slating Levy because Pochettino would have benched them right until his sacking and they’d now be expensive flops like we have

Last edited:
What a weird post.
It’s because of the summer of 2018? Two windows you said....which other window? January 2019? What about January 2018 and summer 2019, or is it only the windows we dont sign someone that has an effect.

You’ve just written off all our signings as shit.
Would they be world class if we signed them a year earlier?

People seem to think that if we signed anyone in the infamous summer of 2018, it would have been Gascoigne, Roberts and Hoddle levels of player, because that’s what we need here.

It wouldn’t. It would have been 70M for Zaha, and 40M for Grealish and you’d all still be sitting here slating Levy because Pochettino would have benched them right until his sacking and they’d now be expensive flops like we have

We didn't buy anyone for two windows and in another we bought Lucas. (who increasingly looks like a journeyman who plays because Son and Kane are out)

Our current state goes back to not reinforcing every window. Plus loss of form and injuries.

As for Bergwign and Gedson? Well after watching them for a couple of months - I'm not too impressed. Bergwign against Norwich was embarrasingly poor and should have been subbed after 30 minutes.

Someone posted a Gedson 'highlights' compilation from Norwich and other than a couple of good moves, it showed what a pro footballer should be doing, running, passing, tackling. Hardly 'highlights' when you include the shot he put into the crowd! Interestingly it omitted the loss of the ball on the edge of our area which caused chaos.

It's early days and I hope I'm wrong with both of them.

If we'd bought Grealish when we could (or Tielemans or Barclay, or Ceballos or Willian or any of the multitude of players that could have joined us) , we'd be in a far better position than we are now.

If we'd bought Grealish when we could (or Tielemans or Barclay, or Ceballos or Willian or any of the multitude of players that could have joined us) , we'd be in a far better position than we are now.

But just not Moura, Gedson, Lo Celso, Ndombele and Bergwijn?

Some run of bad luck wouldn’t you say?

Or could it be the situation we are in

But just not Moura, Gedson, Lo Celso, Ndombele and Bergwijn?

Some run of bad luck wouldn’t you say?

Or could it be the situation we are in

Of those 5 only Lo Celso is impressing. Lucas has been here for years and it's becoming apparent he's a journeyman playing because Kane and Son are out.

Ndombele's woes are well recorded.

I've given my misgivings over Gedson and Bergwign but I'm happy to give them time and I hope I'm wrong.

I haven't even got started on Lamela!

Of those 5 only Lo Celso is impressing. Lucas has been here for years and it's becoming apparent he's a journeyman playing because Kane and Son are out.

Ndombele's woes are well recorded.

I've given my misgivings over Gedson and Bergwign but I'm happy to give them time and I hope I'm wrong.

I haven't even got started on Lamela!
Lucas has only been a run of games since November though

Just like Grealish and Teilamans would have spent 18 months on the bench under Poch

I made the fatal mistake of not praising Sissoko

from that point onwards he refused to be civil.

Not my call, Lifes too short for all this testosterone driven BS, I'd much rather get on and have a giggle, but it seems more important for some people to be divisive and have massive long running arguments. I put him on ignore because he just wouldn't let go.

Its the lack of responsibility that social media offers people, in real life there are consequences for the things we say, and I try to keep what I have to say on here, to things I would say if the person was stood in front of me. As you see from my user name, I am open and don't try to hide.

Fortunately there are some really nice people on here, and I have been fortunate to have met some of them at games.

You’re lying Mick and you know it

We all disagree on players, tactics, managers, styles of play, decisions and that’s fine
It’s a Forum ffs and Sissoko was something I argued about with a lot of posters without rancour

It was your patronising arrogant hypocritical attitude generally that I objected to and put to you which you couldn’t take and put me on ignore which again is your prerogative

But you still can’t leave it as evidenced by your sneaky post to Spaniel who I get on fine with
“You’ll learn”!!

Either come out and debate /confront or stay on ignore
I’m happy either way

As usual you want it both ways

I agree with your last paragraph though

...wasn't that West Ham variety of Yanited, rarher than 'Man' version?

I definitely remember Warren Mitchell coming on at half time (wearing his Alf Garnett clobber) he ran/walked towards the away end to rapturous applause, only to flick the 'V's at the West Ham fans, turn round and reveal his Spurs shirt underneath to the rest of us!

The West Ham fans were proper confused... I think they thought 'In Sickness and in Health' was a Documentary!!

I think he made a few similar appearances but it was definitely against Yanited

Back
Top Bottom