FA Cup & Carabao Cup changes for 20/21.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As for the replays, sensible this year but can't really see them returning after sadly. They've been phasing them back gradually in the past 20 years or so; earlier and earlier in the rounds.

Before my time but there are some stories of endless replays?! Think there games replayed 6 times in some cases. Woolwich v Liverpool semi final one year had 3 replays. Mental.

Always thought the 2nd legged league cup semi final was odd but a nice quirk.
Can’t begin to explain how massive a deal the FA Cup was back in the 1970s when I was a kid.The multiple replays were legendary and the Final truly was the game that stopped the nation.For us of a certain vintage it is heartbreaking to see its significance decline so alarmingly.I think this will be the end of replays full time which will be a real shame.

I’m sorry but, as someone who has worked in the NHS and has family who have had their whole clinical careers in the NHS, why the fuck should they get priority for this? Utter shambles. We’ve given plenty of support to the NHS this year. Millions upon millions raised for their staff charities. Facilities given over for free by all kinds of businesses. The cultish worship in this country of the NHS is up there with the bleedin’ Royals.

I'm all for supporting the NHS, but this seems like an odd move unless the government put their foot down.

Wtf are "Man City local residents"? Tossers who support City that live near Wembley?

Hopefully it will be a ballot of some sort of NHS/Local club ST holders and members if that is how it is going to happen.
What's the point of having "Local" people at the game if they have no affiliation.
Another thing I would do is hold the final at a stadium that only has a capacity of at least half that of Wembley. Possibly smaller than that if social distancing allows. That way the atmosphere will benefit in my opinion.
I think 8000 people in a 35 to 40 thousand capacity venue would be better than holding it at Wembley.

SpiderSpurs

Supporter
🪃🦘 Bonza!! 🦘🪃
FA Cup replays scrapped for 2020-21 season and Carabao Cup semi-finals reduced to one leg
  • 4 minutes ago
There will be no FA Cup replays during the 2020-21 season to "ease pressure" on the football calendar.

The competition will start with the extra preliminary around on 1 September and the final is due to be played at Wembley Stadium on 15 May 2021.

It has also been announced the Carabao Cup semi-finals will be one-legged.

The first round is scheduled for 5 September, while the next three rounds will be played on consecutive midweek dates from 15-16 September.

Fixtures for the 2020-21 English Football League (EFL) season will be released on 21 August with the Championship, League One and League Two all scheduled to start on 12 September.

BBC Sport understands Premier League fixtures will be announced next week.

FA Cup prize money has been halved from 2019-20 because of the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

The winners will receive £1.8m, down from £3.6m last season, in line with the 2017-18 campaign.

The draws for the FA Cup extra preliminary and preliminary rounds, and the EFL Cup first round, will be made on 18 August.

The EFL Cup final will take place at Wembley on 28 February 2021.

The EFL Trophy will start on 8-9 September with the Wembley final on 14 March.

Long overdue in both cases.

Now, if you really want to kick it up a notch, bracket the last 64 like the NCAA tournament and have people fill out brackets in office pools like in the US. I am convinced the FA Cup would rocket back to prominence if they did this.
Yeah,you're going to have to translate that one i'm afraid!

Is it like sweep stake in the grand national?

Nah. That would be a Uefa decision to make..... CL is their comp as is EL (which why that got granted a CL spot as part of the prize)... The FA don't have duristiction over the qualification criteria.

My understanding is that associations are free to make whatever changes to the access list they want, and that England does that to give the League Cup winner a Europa League spot over the 6th place team.

Everybody sticks with putting the top four league teams in the CL because their performance is tied to how many spots the leagues continue to get. They don't want to risk an upset cup winner hurting their coefficient.

To the question of what can be done in practical terms about supporting the cups, I think something like the Supporter's Trust is a very concrete way to express that to the powers that be, but more generally I think just making it a part of the chatter. Put it on a message board, call up Talksport, unfurl a banner, do something.

The cups are dying and it sucks. Some of Spurs' greatest achievements have come in massive, dramatic games that would be regarded as "Mickey Mouse" if they happened again today.

It's shit like this that makes me want to give up watching contemporary football and just watch matches from the good old days when people cared about the cups.

Giving a CL spot to a team that wins the FA Cup? What a mess! There used to be a competition for that - it was called the Cup Winners' Cup. There used to be a competition for 2nd, 3rd and 4th place league finishers and League Cup winners - it was called the UEFA Cup. And, finally, there was a competition for the team that won its domestic league - it was called the European Cup.

I was disgusted with the dropping of extra time in League Cup ties last season and I'm disgusted with the dropping of FA Cup Replays for this season. The CL has devalued every other competition and there are too many teams that are nothing but show ponies for the CL.

For me, the one positive in all this is that we're not in the CL this season and have a shot at putting a run of form together and winning the league. Bollocks to everything else.

I’m sorry but, as someone who has worked in the NHS and has family who have had their whole clinical careers in the NHS, why the fuck should they get priority for this? Utter shambles. We’ve given plenty of support to the NHS this year. Millions upon millions raised for their staff charities. Facilities given over for free by all kinds of businesses. The cultish worship in this country of the NHS is up there with the bleedin’ Royals.

It was probably a political sweetener to get it signed off. Otherwise it would be "why the fuck are football fans giving preferential treatment when I can't visit my nan e.t.c."

Fucking joke of a decision regarding tickets.

...although saying that, I've got a mate that lives in N17 - maybe I should change my address on my Spurs account to hers! Sod the rest of you.

:levyeyes:

Yeah,you're going to have to translate that one i'm afraid!

So, college basketball in the US is a popular, but still fairly minor and provincial sport during the normal season. It's less popular than college football and the popularity is more centered around a handful of big programs.

But the 64-team single elimination championship tournament that happens every March is one of the biggest, most popular TV events, sporting or otherwise, in the entire country. A multibillion dollar enterprise.

The reason is that it is massively popular for sports fans and non sports fans alike to enter into pools in which they select who is going to win all the games, and whoever gets the most right wins the pooled money. The games are all bracketed ahead of time and the teams are seeded by strength so there are opportunities for big upsets all along the way, with the big matchups separated until the later rounds.

They look like so:
58c9a0a32d026.image.jpg

EVERYONE does this. From sports nuts to grannies and everyone in between. Every office does this, every group of friends does this, and it makes the games (which are great TV in their own right) must-see events that everyone gets an emotional and financial stake in whether or not they follow college basketball at all.

I know English people and England relatively well. I am dead certain this would be massively popular if these were handed out when the FA Cup reached this stage.

As for the replays, sensible this year but can't really see them returning after sadly. They've been phasing them back gradually in the past 20 years or so; earlier and earlier in the rounds.

Before my time but there are some stories of endless replays?! Think there games replayed 6 times in some cases. Woolwich v Liverpool semi final one year had 3 replays. Mental.

Always thought the 2nd legged league cup semi final was odd but a nice quirk.

I think the random draw is really cool. I wish people cared more about the cups. But they don't.

Giving people a person stake in games not involving their own team would change that. NFL fantasy football is another perfect example of that.

FA Cup third round draw day remains a highlight for many. Waiting to see if Village Academicals get drawn to play Man United etc.

That fixed draw format can stay with Wimbledon Tennis. Not really sure what is has to do with making betting more attractive either!

Back
Top Bottom