Fabio Paratici

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sources inside Fonseca's camp told football.london that during those talks in Italy the Portuguese felt there was a big difference in opinion between the expansive and attacking profile for the new head coach wanted by chairman Daniel Levy and the more conservative approach sought by Paratici.

Then why did Levy hire the guy? Isn't "what type of manager do you want" kind of the first question you ask in a job interview?

Really not looking to defend Paritici here, but a bit like the backlash when Conte fell through - how much stock can you really put in the other parties camps leaking things?

They arent going to say "Well yeah, of course Conte asked for the impossible and threw a hissy fit when his completely unreachable demands werent met" are they?

Well from the sounds of it we won’t be appointing Gatusso, one would assume that is Levy’s veto if it’s Paratici’s choice.
Thing is we have no idea how the new set up works.

Let's say Paritici wants Gattuso and Levy doesn't.
Surely Paritici would go to Levy before making contact with Gattuso, Levy then says no.

It makes no sense for Paratici to start talking with Gattuso without Levy's knowledge and approval.
Same goes for any other manager.

Thing is we have no idea how the new set up works.

Let's say Paritici wants Gattuso and Levy doesn't.
Surely Paritici would go to Levy before making contact with Gattuso, Levy then says no.

It makes no sense for Paratici to start talking with Gattuso without Levy's knowledge and approval.
Same goes for any other manager.

True but how do we explain all the media (both U.K. and Italy) saying we are in talks/hiring Gatusso, they can’t all be lying, there is no smoke without fire. Then suddenly turning away with other media sources saying fan reaction affected it.

Whether true or not the impression is that at least the club is an utter joke back stage. It’s comical.

Well from the sounds of it we won’t be appointing Gatusso, one would assume that is Levy’s veto if it’s Paratici’s choice.

Of course Levy is the only operative with the power to veto the move, but if true that it was down to GG's un-PC ramblings; that's a PR/marketing-based intervention rather than Levy continuing to "meddle in the football side of things".

Seems to me like Paratici is on an otherwise pretty loose leash so far.

True but how do we explain all the media (both U.K. and Italy) saying we are in talks/hiring Gatusso, they can’t all be lying, there is no smoke without fire. Then suddenly turning away with other media sources saying fan reaction affected it.

Whether true or not the impression is that at least the club is an utter joke back stage. It’s comical.
A lot of the names we've been linked with I doubt we've even spoken to.
Same goes for players.
Get an Italian DoF and suddenly we're linked with every Italian manager and player.

Poch goes to PSG and suddenly they want to sign all our players.
It's all bollocks, or at least 99 % of it.

Agree that it's all making us look like a joke.

Of course Levy is the only operative with the power to veto the move, but if true that it was down to GG's un-PC ramblings; that's a PR/marketing-based intervention rather than Levy continuing to "meddle in the football side of things".

Seems to me like Paratici is on an otherwise pretty loose leash so far.

My big concern is that Paratici is unsuitable for the role. We have Ally Gold saying that he wants a conservative manager (see Jose, AVB, Graham) while Levy recently talked about the clubs DNA which historically is attacking football.

The fans (me included) have little to no time for defensive managers. Our links are also mostly Italian which give the impression this guy only knows Italy.

I have always wanted Levy to step back but that has been on the proviso we get a suitable DoF. This feels like we have gotten someone who doesn’t fit the club or the league. I am therefore in two minds as to whether I want Levy involved or not. It’s just a fucking mess.

My big concern is that Paratici is unsuitable for the role. We have Ally Gold saying that he wants a conservative manager (see Jose, AVB, Graham) while Levy recently talked about the clubs DNA which historically is attacking football.
Well heres the thing, is there anything to this at all?

I mean, we have to assume there were extensive talks between Levy and Paratici. Detailing the role, the vision for the club, coming up with plans to make it happen.

And I look at Fonseca, like him/rate him/dont - he certainly fits the profile of coach Levy spelled out, suggets to me everyone was on the same page.

What are the chances we really hired a DoF and THEN found out he isnt compatible with our goals?

Unlikely IMO...

I mean, we have to assume there were extensive talks between Levy and Paratici. Detailing the role, the vision for the club, coming up with plans to make it happen.

And I look at Fonseca, like him/rate him/dont - he certainly fits the profile of coach Levy spelled out, suggets to me everyone was on the same page.

What are the chances we really hired a DoF and THEN found out he isnt compatible with our goals?

Unlikely IMO...

If Paratici wants Gatusso (ignoring his past anti-gay, anti-woman comments) and Ally Gold is saying Paratici likes conservative managers then there is a huge risk we have gotten a DoF that doesn’t fit the club.

Given our past unsuitable managerial signings it’s not like this would be a first for the club. None of us know what’s really going on, we can only assume based on media reports, club statements and actions from an external view point but on the football side we have never looked very professional in our dealings. Only during the Poch era did we look professional and he is gone.

If Paratici wants Gatusso (ignoring his past anti-gay, anti-woman comments) and Ally Gold is saying Paratici likes conservative managers then there is a huge risk we have gotten a DoF that doesn’t fit the club.

Given our past unsuitable managerial signings it’s not like this would be a first for the club. None of us know what’s really going on, we can only assume based on media reports, club statements and actions from an external view point but on the football side we have never looked very professional in our dealings. Only during the Poch era did we look professional and he is gone.

Ifs and buts though - thats what Im pointing to. IF the article has truth to it.

Put yourself in their shoes, putting that deal to bring Paratici in - what are the chances this didnt come up? Or that you hire someone who will immediately bin off their remit?

Dont you think the move for Fonseca shows he was on message?

And, from the little Ive seen - Gattuso isnt an especially defensive manager anyway. High pressing, high scoring sort of side that play in the final 3rd (and leave themselves vulnerable to counter attacks).

The whole story just doesnt add up for me.

Gattuso and Fonseca are not conservative managers, anyone saying that has no understanding of the football their teams have played. Just lazy thinking that an Italian DOF would want conservative football above all else.

If it’s Ali Gold putting that about then he’s just once again showing that he knows nothing.

Ifs and buts though - thats what Im pointing to. IF the article has truth to it.

Put yourself in their shoes, putting that deal to bring Paratici in - what are the chances this didnt come up? Or that you hire someone who will immediately bin off their remit?

Dont you think the move for Fonseca shows he was on message?

And, from the little Ive seen - Gattuso isnt an especially defensive manager anyway. High pressing, high scoring sort of side that play in the final 3rd (and leave themselves vulnerable to counter attacks).

The whole story just doesnt add up for me.

Again we don’t know, it’s media reports. Ally Gold is close to the club and so that is where a lot of it comes from. Whatever the truth we have looked like an utter shitshow these past few months and there is just to much for all of it to be nonsense.

Unlikely IMO...
Well our other 3 DOFs didn’t last very long. A DOF is partly about stability when a manager leaves, we have never even had stability with a DOF.
We can look for reasons for lots of things that have gone wrong over many many years, there is only 1 constant and it is Levy

The fans (me included) have little to no time for defensive managers. Our links are also mostly Italian which give the impression this guy only knows Italy.

I have always wanted Levy to step back but that has been on the proviso we get a suitable DoF. This feels like we have gotten someone who doesn’t fit the club or the league. I am therefore in two minds as to whether I want Levy involved or not. It’s just a fucking mess.

Agreed..... Implying that Levy is 'meddling already' is a bit pre-emptive though innit.

What pisses me of is the prospect that Leicester have swooped in and become the club/model that we should have continued to be and showed we were good at (the proverbial BVB of the EPL).....

I still maintain that if our scouting was on point we wouldn't be in anywhere like the mess we are now. Such little impact from the on-pitch investments we have made since 16/17.

I've been a strong advocate for a proper DOF for years now, but being Spurs we look to have stumbled straight into the meta-dychotomy that you still have to pick the right guy there too.

Agreed..... Implying that Levy is 'meddling already' is a bit pre-emptive though innit.

What pisses me of is the prospect that Leicester have swooped in and become the club/model that we should have continued to be and showed we were good at (the proverbial BVB of the EPL).....

I still maintain that if our scouting was on point we wouldn't be in anywhere like the mess we are now. Such little impact from the on-pitch investments we have made since 16/17.

I've been a strong advocate for a proper DOF for years now, but being Spurs we look to have stumbled straight into the meta-dychotomy that you still have to pick the right guy there too.

You cant have Levy running things if you want the BVB method. I agree it’s the way to go but we need an on point DoF, a Rangnick type. Getting some Mendes guy from Italy could be a disaster.

We don’t sell players, I mean look at Sissoko why is he still here? so we cannot reinvest to get new players. All of this is not money, it’s strategy. We go for Cheque book managers like Jose and Conte when we are suited to project managers. None of what we do makes any sense at even a simplistic level.

We are run well in term of infrastructure development but look all over the shop on the football side and have done for years. If Levy is going to keep crying poverty as he did in his recent interview then a Dortmund style of running the club is the only way forward but Levy has not shown he understands that. This is what is so baffling.

1 You hire a progressive DoF
2 you scout and get the best young players
3 you build a team over several seasons and sell when needed to reinvest
4 you make this attacking style for the senior and youth teams

it’s cheap, fans get to see attacking football and good youth players come through and it doesn’t break the bank. The only downside is it takes 3-5 years to mature and be successful.

Really not looking to defend Paritici here, but a bit like the backlash when Conte fell through - how much stock can you really put in the other parties camps leaking things?

They arent going to say "Well yeah, of course Conte asked for the impossible and threw a hissy fit when his completely unreachable demands werent met" are they?
The fact that we even looked at Gattuso tells me there's a huge disconnect.

Gattuso and Fonseca are not conservative managers, anyone saying that has no understanding of the football their teams have played. Just lazy thinking that an Italian DOF would want conservative football above all else.

If it’s Ali Gold putting that about then he’s just once again showing that he knows nothing.
Gattuso is absolutely conservative. Not like Mourinho conservative, but he's certainly not a progressive, attack minded manager that Levy laid out in his letter to supporters.

The Napoli squad he inherited was extremely good and he made them worse and boring.

Fonseca is way different than Gattuso. How we can swing from one to the other is unfathomable.

Back
Top Bottom