Fabio Paratici

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No idea how reliable this guy is but I'm praying the Ten Hag part is true. I was concerned Paratici would rip up the managerial shortlist entirely and ETH wouldn't be on it any more, but this would indicate he rates him as well.
I would be really surprised if a Paratici just ripped up all transfer and managerial candidates. He obviously will have a say, but just coming in and throwing everything out is not really a great way to get things done quickly.

His immediate value is taking responsibility away from Levy. I don't think we will see much in terms of talent acquisition until January and most likely next summer.

I’m not against hiring this guy. Can’t be worse than levy and Hitchen duo. And paratici must have loads of contacts with top clubs and top agents.
I think one thing people often overlook (myself included) is how much transfers are still a relationship business. Everybody ends up working with everybody else in European football, so having those connections from his time at Juventus should significantly help us in Italy and likely elsewhere.

People writing this guy off before he even is official is the kind of defeatist attitude that is synonymous with Spurs.

Give him a shot at least.
The parameters he is working under are significantly different as well. That could be good or bad, but taking away any football operation responsibility from Levy is a win ion my book.

People writing this guy off before he even is official is the kind of defeatist attitude that is synonymous with Spurs.

It's got nothing to do with some made-up "defeatist Spurs attitude".

I checked out Paratici's CV hoping to find someone who could massively improve the quality of our player recruitment and find the next Berbatovs, Modrics, Bales, before they are global superstars demanding wages we are never going to pay.

And I found nothing, nada, zero in Paratici's CV suggesting he's a good fit for us. Maybe for Conte's "project" of buying established, expensive players for mega-money. But Levy wanted no part of Conte's approach. And I certainly don't see him sanctioning signing injury-prone players on free transfers for £400k pw. Look how careful he was with Bale's loan contract.

But for the sake of argument, maybe there's a different side to Paratici. Maybe he can identify & sign the next Luka Modric or even Christian Eriksen for a competitive transfer.

And because I believe To Dare Is To Do, I genuinely hope Paratici can deliver this.

But no one has presented any evidence that Paratici has made this type of signing when he was at Juventus.

I think one thing people often overlook (myself included) is how much transfers are still a relationship business. Everybody ends up working with everybody else in European football, so having those connections from his time at Juventus should significantly help us in Italy and likely elsewhere.
Yes. But the likes of Raiola don't care about "relationships".
They care about who will chuck the most money their way for the next de Ligt, Pogba, Haaland.
Also, I remember our much touted "special relationship" with Real Madrid because of Bale. LOL.

It's got nothing to do with some made-up "defeatist Spurs attitude".

I checked out Paratici's CV hoping to find someone who could massively improve the quality of our player recruitment and find the next Berbatovs, Modrics, Bales, before they are global superstars demanding wages we are never going to pay.

And I found nothing, nada, zero in Paratici's CV suggesting he's a good fit for us. Maybe for Conte's "project" of buying established, expensive players for mega-money. But Levy wanted no part of Conte's approach. And I certainly don't see him sanctioning signing injury-prone players on free transfers for £400k pw. Look how careful he was with Bale's loan contract.

But for the sake of argument, maybe there's a different side to Paratici. Maybe he can identify & sign the next Luka Modric or even Christian Eriksen for a competitive transfer.

And because I believe To Dare Is To Do, I genuinely hope Paratici can deliver this.

But no one has presented any evidence that Paratici has made this type of signing when he was at Juventus.
Kulusevski - young player of the season in Serie A in 2019-2020. Ranked 18th in the 2020 Golden Boy awards (best 20 players under 20 playing in Europe that season).

The Weston McKennie deal that he pulled off for this season has been lauded as a great move for Juve.

He brought in Bonucci in 2010-2011 for 15 mil. And Barzagli for 300 grand.

Vidal from Leverkusen in 2011-2012 for 12 million.

Fernando Llorente in 13-14 on a free.

Kingsley Koman on a free in the 14-15 season.

Dybala and Alex Sandro in the 15-16 season.

Just some names he got them over his 10 years at Juve. All before they broke out big time and for decent fees or free. The biggest fee out of these guys was Dybala who cost 40 million euro.

Kulusevski - young player of the season in Serie A in 2019-2020. Ranked 18th in the 2020 Golden Boy awards (best 20 players under 20 playing in Europe that season).

The Weston McKennie deal that he pulled off for this season has been lauded as a great move for Juve.

He brought in Bonucci in 2010-2011 for 15 mil. And Barzagli for 300 grand.

Vidal from Leverkusen in 2011-2012 for 12 million.

Fernando Llorente in 13-14 on a free.

Kingsley Koman on a free in the 14-15 season.

Dybala and Alex Sandro in the 15-16 season.

Just some names he got them over his 10 years at Juve. All before they broke out big time and for decent fees or free. The biggest fee out of these guys was Dybala who cost 40 million euro.
Marotta was in charge from 2010 to 2018.

--------------------------------------------

In May 2010, Marotta was officially brought to Juventus by newly elected club chairman Andrea Agnelli (Agnelli role effective in October, but he start to co-opted with the board since 19 May) as GM for the Sports Area (Italian: Direttore Generale Area Sport), replacing Jean-Claude Blanc (who retained the role of chairman and CEO until October 2010). Marotta signed a three-year contract with the club, tying him there until June 2013.[12] Juventus had just finished the season in seventh place, their worst since returning to Serie A after the Calciopoli scandal. In his move from Sampdoria to Juventus, Marotta also brought along head of scouting Fabio Paratici and head coach Luigi Delneri.[12] On 27 October 2010, Marotta was appointed a member of Juventus' Board of Directors and named the club's CEO, replacing Jean-Claude Blanc.[13] However, Aldo Mazzia was appointed chief financial officer (CFO) and CEO of the club in April and in May 2011 respectively.

Similar to his first transfer market upon taking over at Sampdoria, Marotta spent the first year in charge of transfer operations at Juventus making wholesale changes to the squad, acquiring 14 new players, including Miloš Krasić, Fabio Quagliarella, Alessandro Matri and Alberto Aquilani;[14]) while offloading 11 players, including selling club legend David Trezeguet and Brazilian playmaker Diego, moves which were unpopular with fans.[15][16] Juventus finished the 2010–11 season in seventh place, missing out again on Champions League football and also having failed to advance past the group stages of the 2010–11 UEFA Europa League. Following the disappointing season, Marotta and the club announced manager Luigi Delneri would not be returning for another season.[17]

On 31 May 2011, Marotta announced the appointment of former Juventus player and captain Antonio Conte as head coach.[18] Conte's appointment was met with some skepticism due to his inexperience in top-flight football. Marotta stated in an interview with the Corriere dello Sport that the club's objectives for the new season were to win the Scudetto or at least qualify for the Champions League.[19] During the 2011–12 summer transfer window, Marotta set about to improve last years finish by bringing in eight new players to the squad, including Andrea Pirlo and Michele Pazienza on free transfers, and new signings Stephan Lichtsteiner, Arturo Vidal, Mirko Vučinić, Emanuele Giaccherini, Marcelo Estigarribia and Eljero Elia. [14] In May 2012, Juventus won their first Scudetto in six years.

Since Juventus' surprise run to the 2015 Champions League final, Marotta and the club administration have been praised for assembling one of Europe's top midfields at a minimal cost, with first choice midfielders Paul Pogba (free), Arturo Vidal (€10.5 million), Andrea Pirlo (free) and Claudio Marchisio (youth product/free), as well as several back-up midfielders on loan, all costing a cumulative total less than €15 million and contributing over one-third of the goals scored in all competitions that season.[20][21]

On 31 October 2018, Marotta officially terminated his contract as Juventus CEO.

Giuseppe Marotta - Wikipedia

I don’t know why people are desperate for him to fail before he’s even signed up to work for us.
I'm not desperate for him to fail.
I want Paratici to succeed.
But he's far from an obvious choice as a DoF for our type of project.
I think far more likely he was identified because he had worked successfully with Conte, (so Levy didn't have to deal with the lunatic & his tantrums every day), and because we wanted a Baldini-type fixer with good contacts if we end up selling Kane.
Campos has the right profile to be DoF for a club like ours.

Marotta was in charge from 2010 to 2018.

--------------------------------------------

In May 2010, Marotta was officially brought to Juventus by newly elected club chairman Andrea Agnelli (Agnelli role effective in October, but he start to co-opted with the board since 19 May) as GM for the Sports Area (Italian: Direttore Generale Area Sport), replacing Jean-Claude Blanc (who retained the role of chairman and CEO until October 2010). Marotta signed a three-year contract with the club, tying him there until June 2013.[12] Juventus had just finished the season in seventh place, their worst since returning to Serie A after the Calciopoli scandal. In his move from Sampdoria to Juventus, Marotta also brought along head of scouting Fabio Paratici and head coach Luigi Delneri.[12] On 27 October 2010, Marotta was appointed a member of Juventus' Board of Directors and named the club's CEO, replacing Jean-Claude Blanc.[13] However, Aldo Mazzia was appointed chief financial officer (CFO) and CEO of the club in April and in May 2011 respectively.

Similar to his first transfer market upon taking over at Sampdoria, Marotta spent the first year in charge of transfer operations at Juventus making wholesale changes to the squad, acquiring 14 new players, including Miloš Krasić, Fabio Quagliarella, Alessandro Matri and Alberto Aquilani;[14]) while offloading 11 players, including selling club legend David Trezeguet and Brazilian playmaker Diego, moves which were unpopular with fans.[15][16] Juventus finished the 2010–11 season in seventh place, missing out again on Champions League football and also having failed to advance past the group stages of the 2010–11 UEFA Europa League. Following the disappointing season, Marotta and the club announced manager Luigi Delneri would not be returning for another season.[17]

On 31 May 2011, Marotta announced the appointment of former Juventus player and captain Antonio Conte as head coach.[18] Conte's appointment was met with some skepticism due to his inexperience in top-flight football. Marotta stated in an interview with the Corriere dello Sport that the club's objectives for the new season were to win the Scudetto or at least qualify for the Champions League.[19] During the 2011–12 summer transfer window, Marotta set about to improve last years finish by bringing in eight new players to the squad, including Andrea Pirlo and Michele Pazienza on free transfers, and new signings Stephan Lichtsteiner, Arturo Vidal, Mirko Vučinić, Emanuele Giaccherini, Marcelo Estigarribia and Eljero Elia. [14] In May 2012, Juventus won their first Scudetto in six years.

Since Juventus' surprise run to the 2015 Champions League final, Marotta and the club administration have been praised for assembling one of Europe's top midfields at a minimal cost, with first choice midfielders Paul Pogba (free), Arturo Vidal (€10.5 million), Andrea Pirlo (free) and Claudio Marchisio (youth product/free), as well as several back-up midfielders on loan, all costing a cumulative total less than €15 million and contributing over one-third of the goals scored in all competitions that season.[20][21]

On 31 October 2018, Marotta officially terminated his contract as Juventus CEO.

Giuseppe Marotta - Wikipedia
And Paratici, as your linked article states, was Marotta's head of scouting. He was the guy who found the targets for Marotta to pursue.

Which is what most assume that he will do for Levy at Spurs.

I don't know if it is defeatist, although where we are it certainly could be.

I just don't see anything in his record and anything in the way that Levy works to see how this makes any sense for us or what he is bringing that will be positive.

He doesn't seem to have the skills that we need, doesn't have a history of bringing in the players that we need either. I hope it does work out but there seems to be better options, both in fit and in resume, that we could have got and could have been in here sooner so they could have started this whole process much earlier.

Elias does a good job of expressing many of my views. I hope he does well but I don't see much reason to think that it will work out.

giphy.gif
"That's not the way to die. Getting your nuts bitten off by a Laplander, that's the way to die"

From that list, Kulusevski was a good signing, but not cheap (10m Euros with 45m option to buy).
The McKennie deal looks like it will cost around 25m Euros for Juve to complete.
Chiesa was a player we wanted, and the total deal there will be about 60 million Euros. (All costs from wiki link below).
Those deals are pretty good. But not better value, given interest from other top clubs, than say our signings of GLC & Ndombele without any DoF involvement.

During that period when Paratici was the undisputed guy in charge, Juve also signed Rabiot & Ramsey on very expensive salaries as free agents, and were involved in complicated swap deals which some journalists have alleged were FFP dirty tricks. Specifically the Arthur - Pjanic, and Cancelo - Danilo deals.

2020–21 Juventus F.C. season - Wikipedia

2019–20 Juventus F.C. season - Wikipedia

I'm not desperate for him to fail.
I want Paratici to succeed.
But he's far from an obvious choice as a DoF for our type of project.
I think far more likely he was identified because he had worked successfully with Conte, (so Levy didn't have to deal with the lunatic & his tantrums every day), and because we wanted a Baldini-type fixer with good contacts if we end up selling Kane.
Campos has the right profile to be DoF for a club like ours.

yep campos or Rangnick. He hasn’t joined yet though

I really like the idea of this guy coming in and think it's what we have needed for years......but.........
Levy will just interfere like he has every other time, like with arnesson and Mitchell so it's probably a pointless exercise.....
Shame...

Back
Top Bottom