Fair Play my arse

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This whole fair play rule is a total joke. I know there are so many people out there, including our very own Chairman who believe it will make a difference and potentially it will to a certain degree but not at the top level. Along with their stupidly high stadium sponsorship Man City have announced today that their kit manufacture deal with Umbro will now increase from £6m a year to £26m a year.

It's so fucking obvious what's going on and it pisses me off that UEFA can't/won't do anything about it.

I doubt there's much wrong with the Umbro deal. I'm sure Nike pay Utd something similar. The Eithad deal is suspect.

Football is rotton. No matter what rules UEFA think up someone will be advantaged. How is the turnover ruling helpful to Fulham? or Wigan? Or worse Doncaster? Or Stevenage? Why is it not fair for City to have massive amounts of disposable income, when it's fair, in comparative terms for Woolwich to be forever out of the reach of teams like Coventry?

As much as I hate City for what they are, it's at least made the league competitive again. The 'big four' no longer exist, they've been smashed, and it at least makes the Champions League places more realistic for other teams like Spurs: Woolwich, Liverpool and Chelsea are all struggling...

Flav said:
As much as I hate City for what they are, it's at least made the league competitive again. The 'big four' no longer exist, they've been smashed, and it at least makes the Champions League places more realistic for other teams like Spurs: a***nal, Liverpool and Chelsea are all struggling...

As I watched us win last night I said to the wife, "why did City have to get their money now?" I don't hate them at all, I just wish they could've held off until we won the title. If it wasn't for them even in my most pessimistic moments I'd be thinking we could grab 2nd and maybe pip United for it.

If we ever win the league it'll be with a massive pair of bollocks swinging between our legs and we'll do it the right way. And if not I'll still beam with pride as we go about things the right way. You can stick the money up your arse, Man City are currently showing in the Champs league you can't buy what we got. Fuck the lot of 'em.

GodSaveTheKing said:
If we ever win the league it'll be with a massive pair of bollocks swinging between our legs and we'll do it the right way. And if not I'll still beam with pride as we go about things the right way. You can stick the money up your arse, Man City are currently showing in the Champs league you can't buy what we got. Fuck the lot of 'em.

Amen brother,

Blatter out, us lot in.

What rules would you all bring to make football better? Any way you like.

For me, to make the Europa a more attractive competition, I'd lose the bollox rule where teams drop out of CL into EL and instead give the winner of the Europa a spot in next seasons CL. At least then clubs would take it more seriously.

But then what happens if the team that wins the EL qualifies through the league for the CL?

Giving the CL spot to the team which loses the EL final is a bit like CL teams dropping into the EL no?

Perhaps. Its a similar situation to when Liverpool won the CL and automatically qualified. UEFA didn't want 5 teams from the same nation competing again so too this rule out I thought?

For example. We finish 5th and win Europa League...would we then knock the team who finished 4th in the league down into the Europa or join them in the CL?

the best way to make the EL better and more attractive is to turn it back into the UEFA Cup and make it a FA Cup style knock out competition with no seeding etc. To give the smaller playing nations a chance you could make it exactly like the FA Cup with regards to rounds. Teams from outer Mongolia play in the 1st round, then lets say teams from Holland (club football is shite there now) come in the 2nd round and teams from England, Spain, Germany etc play in 3rd round.

The Europa League is seen as a massively secondary competition because of the amount of games and travelling you have to do plus of course it's devalued by the losers from the CL dropping into it which is ridiculous.

I'd also turn the CL back into the European Cup. At the very most I'd have the top 2 from each nation compete but I'd prefer it to be the champions only so we don't get this stupid celebration of finishing 4th (I did it too).

As for rules I'd bring in post match video technology for diving, yellow card waving and any other general cheating and I'd be strict with it which sadly would probably mean Bale being suspended for a couple of games from time to time.

drwinston001 said:
so if we were to finish 2nd this season (still a big IF) that would be moral victory?

We only have to win a single premiership game to take the moral victory over City.

I actually don't have a problem with City, not sure why because I should but I just don't. Annoyed that for the first time in 25-30 years we've actually got a team that could compete for the title/trophies but they have to get their money so it's unlikely we'll win much but I'd sooner they were up there than United, Chelsea, Woolwich or Liverpool.

As long as City are what they are Woolwich will never win the league, and are more likely not to finish in the top 4. I take comfort in that.

I've never gone with the Woolwich are shit now theory that was particularly popular at the beginning of the season. I still see them as the major threat to our top 4 status. Of course if RvP got injured things would look a lot better, much like they're thinking about Adebayor and us.

They annoying thing about Woolwich (and I suppose its a credit to Wenger *shudder*) is that no matter all the great players they have lost, they always seem to be alright. Ok they are not as good as they used to be but if we lost Bale/Modric in the summer we'd be shit.

Back
Top Bottom