Fanbase. Are we heading to be like Man U?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am not british, i just ended up here. Moved as soon as i got my head right, but Tottenham always felt at home. Money seems like the biggest factor now. Look at Eriksen, a guy i played against in youth football.
I don't blame him or any other footballer. Go run and get that money. But what is left for us? The fans paying low wages, angling for a day out on the one day off. What about us?
You were born in 1977 and played against Eriksen at youth level? hmmmm right

The main difference is that OUR fanbase wasn't treated to numerous titles and trophies throughout the '90s... we were mainly reared on a shower of mediocrity, and praying for Man Utd to win something eaxh year JUST to DENY ARSEANAL!
Maybe THAT'S where the link is, but the similarity ends!!

Other than that, we've been spoilt on hope... but no more!

I still think most Spurs fans (of a certain vintage) areSTILL pretty grounded... pissed off, maybe but grounded... because our expectations reflect that of the team's 'relative' success over the past 20-30 Seasons...
Almost, but not quite...

Now you CAN'T say that of Man Utd's breed of *NEW WORD ALERT: expectationalists!!

You were born in 1977 and played against Eriksen at youth level? hmmmm right
tenor.gif

Top 4 in europe? Top 16 more like but still. Is it the club i started following? Identity

..so where were the other 14 teams in the CL Final last year??
I'd say Top 4 is being harsh!
.based on last season's ALL IMPORTANT FACTS.... we were in the TOP TWO!!
But good to see the pessimism runs deep in a fellow Spurs fan... that's the spirit!

Played agains in youth football. As in his standard of his play these days. Not as a fact i did play against him. I should have worded it differently.

..so where were the other 14 teams in the CL Final last year??
I'd say Top 4 is being harsh!
.based on last season's ALL IMPORTANT FACTS.... we were in the TOP TWO!!
But good to see the pessimism runs deep in a fellow Spurs fan... that's the spirit!
Not pessimism. I'm a optimist but also a realist.

I personally couldn’t give a shit about our club being successful. It’s more to me than that.

I remember the days of standing in the park lane as a boy and looking at my dad, hating him as we were losing.

The Football experience is all in the eyes of the beholder. I take more from belonging than I do from success.

I’m probably holding onto football nostalgia that doesn’t exist anymore but I’d sooner have a great day out, watch us loose, and feel part of something special than watch us win. Surrounded by negativity because one of players didn’t turn up or because we’re not happy with the managers tactics.

Maybe it’s just me but I feel that since our relative success we’ve become self entitled and a fan base I don’t like.

West Ham laugh at us, and we’ve become everything we used to laugh at the scum about.

I personally couldn’t give a shit about our club being successful. It’s more to me than that.

I remember the days of standing in the park lane as a boy and looking at my dad, hating him as we were losing.

The Football experience is all in the eyes of the beholder. I take more from belonging than I do from success.

I’m probably holding onto football nostalgia that doesn’t exist anymore but I’d sooner have a great day out, watch us loose, and feel part of something special than watch us win. Surrounded by negativity because one of players didn’t turn up or because we’re not happy with the managers tactics.

Maybe it’s just me but I feel that since our relative success we’ve become self entitled and a fan base I don’t like.

West Ham laugh at us, and we’ve become everything we used to laugh at the scum about.
I'll settle for watching eleven men sweat blood and give their all in an effort to win a game of football, coming off the pitch exhausted but knowing they tried everything they could to win the game. Then the result becomes much less important. It's all about endeavour, commitment and effort. As the saying goes "When you have done your best then no-one can do more"
As a supporter that's all you can ask of any team....... :thumbup:. Unfortunately I don't think that's the case at the moment. The team is grossly underperforming and as a result underachieving. The problem needs addressing quickly.

Generalizations are fun aren't they.

God for bid people travel and film some things.
TBF when I went to Milan, Madrid, Dortmund and Barcelona, I took loads of photos before and after the game, and will do the same when I go to Munich. Not so much during the game. Even bought half and half scarves when I go to a CL game abroad. It would be a brave man to accuse me of being a tourist!

TBF when I went to Milan, Madrid, Dortmund and Barcelona, I took loads of photos before and after the game, and will do the same when I go to Munich. Not so much during the game. Even bought half and half scarves when I go to a CL game abroad. It would be a brave man to accuse me of being a tourist!
Half and half scarves im not a big fan of.

Back
Top Bottom