FC Basel - Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

People like to have a scapegoat. Personally I still see Friedel as a very good keeper, it's just Lloris is better. He fits into the high line a lot better as he is more proactive at preventing goals. Imagine the furore if Lloris had played and got injured.

Totally agree. It's obvious who my scapecunt is but I don't do it because I'm just choosing someone at random.

Lloris is better. But Brad did nothing wrong in the first leg and played really well IMO. So why shouldn't he play in the second leg? He did fine, again IMO.

If he had picked Gallas over jan or Daws I would have been fuming. Also Naughton above BAE didn't offend too much either. That said Naughton did have a bit of a mare.

I said Dempsey would have good match before kick off and I was proved right. The amount of people calling for his head before the match started was ridiculous. He's an honest box to box player. He's no VDV but that's not his fault.

I said Dempsey would have good match before kick off and I was proved right. The amount of people calling for his head before the match started was ridiculous. He's an honest box to box player. He's no VDV but that's not his fault.

Dempsey just needs to find his feet. He is so often frustrating in possession and his first touch is awful 90% of the time. I honestly think he will work well as an impact sub.

I don't think Brad had a poor game in the second leg, he did well, but if Lloris was playing we wouldn't have given away that corner as he would have come off his line and cleaned it up.

Thinking back, there was a little move Basel did a few times that really gave us problems...I wonder if we could do it ourselves.

When up against our fullback they would look to play a give-and-go with an overlapping player, but when the overlapping player went forward (and took a Spurs player with him), instead of playing him in with a ball down the line, they would play a little diagonal ball to a player on the edge of the area (usually Salah), who could run in to our box and create more problems than a guy heading for the corner flag!

but if Lloris was playing
If LL was playing... If only Bale & Lennon weren't injured... If only we signed Moutinho... & Damiao... And kept Modric...
we wouldn't have given away that corner
It doesn't work like that though, does it?

LL played against Everton, Fulham & Liverpool... Remind me, have we won these games?
Don't get me wrong though, LL is an amazing keeper and i really wanted him to play against Basel, i want him to play every game... But he is not some magic unicorn.

AVB put out a team capable of winning. They failed... as a team. Not because LL wasn't playing.

If anything, it was Vert's fault.
We had a good chance of winning it in extra time, but then Vert did what he did...
Yet nobody blames him... Friedel, Naughton, Ade, Parker... Anybody, but Vert.
Of course... How can you? Everybody's sweetheart... Signing of the season... Super Jan...
:avbnaa:

If LL was playing... If only Bale & Lennon weren't injured... If only we signed Moutinho... & Damiao... And kept Modric...

It doesn't work like that though, does it?

LL played against Everton, Fulham & Liverpool... Remind me, have we won these games?
Don't get me wrong though, LL is an amazing keeper and i really wanted him to play against Basel, i want him to play every game... But he is not some magic unicorn.

AVB put out a team capable of winning. They failed... as a team. Not because LL wasn't playing.

If anything, it was Vert's fault.
We had a good chance of winning it in extra time, but then Vert did what he did...
Yet nobody blames him... Friedel, Naughton, Ade, Parker... Anybody, but Vert.
Of course... How can you? Everybody's sweetheart... Signing of the season... Super Jan...
:avbnaa:
can't remember calling him a "magic unicorn" but I get your point. In a way.

As for blaming Verts I'm surprised no-one mentioned Dawson's "touch" that led to Verts being sent off...

I think Brad was poor in the second leg, Both goals were saveable, with better positioning and reactions.

He also weren't too good in the first leg, but as I could see the sense of playing him then, I'm not criticising AVB for that. I am criticisising him playing Gallas in the first leg and Brad in the second.

I think he did well in picking Clint for the second leg, despite the fact that most of us didn't want him to start, including me.

But the terrible Gallas decision that's what really cost us, cos it led us to end up playing with 9 men and Bale getting injured, on top of another poor performance by WG. He's too old, it's not his fault it's AVB's for playing him. Just like it's not Brad's fault he's too old, but again AVB's fault when Lloris was available on Thursday and we had no game on Sunday.

Unless we do get top 4, AVB is quite welcome to go to Real Madrid AFAIC. I just hope we have a 'buy out' clause that costs them plenty.

Not that I expect any great investment from ENIC this summer if we don't make CL, buy out clause or not. I blame them as much as AVB for what's happened, again. Assuming we don't make top 4 that is.

Walker and Dawson's effort was sublime, contrary to popular belief I felt Ade and Dempsey played with more effort than they've shown the rest of the season. The biggest disappointment was the reff, he gave both Dempsey and Ade a torrid time with offences commonly unpunished when they were frequently preformed by Basel's attack, also he was way to chummy with the Basel players, he fucking hi-fived one of them!

I think Brad was poor in the second leg, Both goals were saveable, with better positioning and reactions.

He also weren't too good in the first leg, but as I could see the sense of playing him then, I'm not criticising AVB for that. I am criticisising him playing Gallas in the first leg and Brad in the second.

I think he did well in picking Clint for the second leg, despite the fact that most of us didn't want him to start, including me.

But the terrible Gallas decision that's what really cost us, cos it led us to end up playing with 9 men and Bale getting injured, on top of another poor performance by WG. He's too old, it's not his fault it's AVB's for playing him. Just like it's not Brad's fault he's too old, but again AVB's fault when Lloris was available on Thursday and we had no game on Sunday.

Unless we do get top 4, AVB is quite welcome to go to Real Madrid AFAIC. I just hope we have a 'buy out' clause that costs them plenty.

Not that I expect any great investment from ENIC this summer if we don't make CL, buy out clause or not. I blame them as much as AVB for what's happened, again. Assuming we don't make top 4 that is.

This I don't understand. He either is or isn't a competent enough manager to manage Spurs, why should the fortunes of his first season determine his fate?

If we don't make top 4, I'd still be happy for AVB to continue as, AFAIC he is clearly capable enough, he just needs time to build the squad in the way he wants it. To lose another manager and start over again, again, makes little sense to me.

This I don't understand. He either is or isn't a competent enough manager to manage Spurs, why should the fortunes of his first season determine his fate?

If we don't make top 4, I'd still be happy for AVB to continue as, AFAIC he is clearly capable enough, he just needs time to build the squad in the way he wants it. To lose another manager and start over again, again, makes little sense to me.

Fair comments MKY

It's just I feel we were good enough to win a trophy or get top 4. To get neither, someone, perhaps, is to blame.

Me - I blame in this order - ENIC, AVB, the players, our crowd

Maybe I'm wrong.

Back
Top Bottom