Federico Fazio

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like seeing how the selling team's supporters feel when we buy a player so here are comments from a Sevilla site; kinda feel bad for them:
I’ve met Fazio a few times and he’s a real nice guy, I can’t believe he’ll bail out at this moment. I knew he had an arrangement with Barca and I believe he decided to stay with Sevilla, not sure why because that’s the move I would want for him, to finish at the highest level. Another thing I don’t understand is the ridiculously low buy out fee when you see Barca pay €20m for Mathiue.
If the Fazio rumours are true. This is a disaster!
Is it fair to wait and make your predictions AFTER the transfer window has closed? If Fazio leaves I would like to trade out my Glasses of Optimism with my Lenses of Pessimism and just hope we finish in the top 10. It’s a genuine question: Can I make my predictions when August is no longer around?!
I simply don’t feel well about this… Fazio, the last player from the Puerta-era, our best defender and our captain, is leaving for peanuts.
Regarding Fazio, he’s CRUCIAL to our team and continued success. Cannot stress that enough. Like Shendm said, I’d only be satisfied w/ Ogbonna as a replacement. But his departure at such a pivotal time (the eve of the frickin season!) would really hurt us. He’s formed a formidable partnership w/ Pareja, probably our best pairing since Squillaci/SQD. Really hope he stays, and that we give him the money he deserves
Hi Mark, personally I’m going to forget CL for now with the loss of Fazio being the reason. It’s a massive blow because we were great defensively and demonstrated against real madrid that we could lock them out, they scored on the counter. The defence was generally well organized and impervious to aerial balls with Fazio there, a luxury player to have.
Fazio: King Fazio as far as I’m concerned. Rumors of his departure terrify me. Aside from Rakitic, our most indispensible player. He anchors our back line with physical presence and poise. But he is also the focal point of almost every set piece we run. Grade: A
And last but not least
I happened to know that Fazio had an agreement with Barca, for some reason he decided not to go ahead – but Tottenham is a lousy stiinking hole, not the right move.
On second thought fuck these guys

Was bored and cruised over to Spurs Community. Saw this write up on Fazio from a fella named Kaboul's Forehead. Very well done.

"Here we go. Fazio vs Madrid, Super Cup. #2 playing LCB. All given in good faith and I have not ignored his faults/errors to make a point. I have no agenda as until now I had never focused on him ENTIRELY in a game. I didn't watch the game, I watched him. All written in good faith. Hope you all find this insightful and please share.

-Giant of a man. Drifts into fill LB at the right times. At corners, uses strength rather than jumping ability to win headers. Won almost all headers from corners that weren't played short or failed to get passed near post.

-drops the deepest out of all CB's, operating as almost a CB/Sweeper hybrid. ALWAYS instructing his defensive colleagues and physically pointing out potential danger.

-looks to pass forward and opts to pass short only as a last resort or to allow his team time to slot back into positions.

-outstanding reading of the game to intercept a 25yard pass to Ronaldo and then surges forward to the pitch centre before displaying great strength and ball control to fend off Pepe with ease before releasing the ball forward accurately.

-darts forward 3-4yards with relatively impressive acceleration to head clear a ball from a corner. Absolute powerhouse who even Pepe and Ramos seem to shy away from having a mid-air tussle with.

-deflects a Bale long shot as he jumps and turns away from the shot. Not as brave as I would like from a CB 'hard man' but hey, this is a Bale shot and he was only standing 5 yards away.

-shows at least twice that he can head clear, from a corner, the ball 35 yards up the pitch.

-whistle is blown for offside but not before Fazio launches his body in an attempt to block a Ronaldo close range shot, which turns out to be a dummy, leaving Fazio helpless on the floor. But hey, don't forget the "Ronaldo factor".

-love this. Ref calls captains Pepe and Fazio over to ask them to tell their players to chill. fazio dwarfs Pepe and the Madrid "hard man" looks shit scared of Fazio and I'm absolutely Serious about that:usually he is mouthing off.

-Fazio almost wins the header from a Seville corner, but it's no surprise he doesn't because he was assigned to be TRIPLE marked and still almost made the ball his. True monster of a player.

-Fazio superbly heads the ball over the Seville bar from nearly off the line from a tricky Coentrao cross. Beaten on the turn by Ronaldo due to Ronaldo's excellence rather than Fazio's inability.

-at no real fault for Ronaldo's later goal as he was rightly marking Benzema following a truly gorgeous cross from Bale.

***BIG POINT***--- if Fazio wasn't also having to think for his 3 defensive colleagues and always pointing out danger to them perhaps he would be allowed more time and more concentration span to allocate to his own defensive duties. Partnered with a more reliable Verts may allow Fazio to do his own job [even better] without having to also think for his teammates.

-Final point from the first 45mins, and you won't believe me but here goes. Fazio (hereby called "Fastio") and Ronaldo are both sprinting back down towards Seville's goal and Fazio OVERTAKES Ronaldo. At a calculated guess, I'd say Ronaldo was running at 90% top speed with Fazio at 100%, but still very impressive from the big man.

-Fazio leaps but somehow misses a header to clear a cross. Almost leads to a big chance and was a header well within his reach.

Not many tackles to win, but great intercepting and strength. These two things, coupled with his heading, are his strong points. Oh and his fear factor.

-at no fault for ronaldo's 48min goal whereby he just powershot it at the keeper. Seems as though he is entirely man-marking Benzema. In doing so he had successfully and completely taken him out of the game.

-gone 2-0 down and Fazio seems still very calm and composed on the ball. Springs off a lovely pass to a player in the centre of the pitch 30yards away. Much preferred to Dawson spanking it 60 yards and out off the pitch (no disrespect to Dawson intended).

-fazio is brought forward for free kicks if the intention is to swing the ball in like a cross. Clearly a set piece routine has been crafted around Fazio because one player intentionally does a rehearsed body check on a defender which allows Fazio an open opportunity to head the ball from 7 yards away unmarked. On this occasion though the whistle is blown for the body check.

-like the first half, he is the leader at the back. Way better leadership qualities than Verts so far.

-fazio makes a solid interception against a marauding Bale. Competently uses his left foot to do so. Illustrates, once more, an impressive turn of pace to do so.

-fazio has the first opportunity of the game to make a stand tackle which he does cleanly in the box, he then charges down Ronaldo who is on the ball and forces him to play a misplaced pass backwards. Good defending.

-Fazio completely barricades the 6ft1 Benzema from a good Madrid clearance which allows Fazio's defensive partner to sweep up the ball and regather as a team.

-half heartedly closes down Benzema in the box which allows the Frenchman a free shot on goal. Beto makes the save but rebounds And is passed across goal by Coentrao and again Fazio doesn't take charge of the situation by throwing his body on the line or hoofing the ball clear, he let's the ball pass him as perhaps he fears knockin the ball into his own net. Perhaps smart, perhaps switched off. On this occasion, I'm going to say he should have stepped up and intercepted the cross-goal-pass.

-Fazio is well-positioned to head clear a cross but heads it straight to a Madrid player outside the box. Again makes a good interception from a low Madrid cross.

-Fazio's awareness of where his own players are around him is good, which allows him to quickly recycle possession to the new creative midfielders. Nearly always plays the ball to the centre of the pitch rather than sideways.

-Bale unleashes Ronaldo by playing a clever ball though Fazios legs 10 yards outside the box, if it wasn't for a superb sliding tackle by seville's Krychowiak then it would have been a goal from Ronaldo.

- continue to be impressed by the big man's pace. Darts forward in the Madrid box to close down and tackle Pepe which leads to Seville winning another corner as his left footed cross is blocked.

-into added time and it is all Seville. Fazio ditches his defensive duties and remains up top as a target man/striker.

-yet another corner (about 4 in 3 mins) and Fazio makes an aggressive and powerful leap (at a calculated guesstimation he hits well over 9ft at the peak of his jump) but Casillas punches clear.

And that's all she wrote. 2-0 Madrid. Fazio looks to me like an iron gate. Incredibly strong and looks intimidating and is difficult to get passed. But once an opponent is the other side of him there is little else he can do. Hopefully then the likes of Lloris, verts and our quicker full backs can cover.

He is a strange player in that I would play him against the very best teams and the lower teams who rely on stength a la West Ham and Stoke. But I'm not sure I he will be as useful as Verts or Chiriches can be when attacking mid-table teams.

Intercepting: 8/10
Passing: 7.5/10 (plays forward but still relatively safe. Not a and thing)
Strength: 10/10
[good] Aggression: 8/10
Stand tackling: 7/10
Slide tackling: n/a (at a calculated guess-5/10)
Marking: 9/10 (but only ever man-marked Benzema)
Sheer presence and fear factor: 9/10
Decisions: 7.5/10
Leadership: 8/10

Had a solid game against the best attacking force in the world; Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, James Rodriguez, Kroos, Modric. Completely and utterly removed Benzema from the game with his marking.

Going to do a report on Fazio against a weaker side now. Please enjoy and spread word."

Pochettino has had quite the #Spursy week. Needless red card, conceding first to a team on the outer fringe of Europe, and now Levy casting his target aside for a cheaper option. It's like he's part of the family now.

A dominant performance ending in 0-0 to QPR on Sunday and he'll have had the Spursy quadruple.

Last edited:
Hopefully he can do this again in the premier league

oY7vA.gif

Its quite clear that Vertonghen and Fazio is our centre back pairing. Fazio was really composed on the ball as well today too, which i thought helped our build up play compared to when we've got Kaboul sitting on the ball and passing back to the keeper every second time he has the ball. Did a fantastic job on Lukaku today, for once we weren't bullied by a physical presence.

I have nothing against Fazio and wish him the best. He just wasn't what we needed anymore, so hopefully this is a good move for him.

Is Fazio better than Kaboul? Yes.
Is Fazio better than Vlad? Yes.
Is Fazio better than Dier? Probably.

End of debate. There is no alternative but to play Fazio and Jan, so bitching about it is pointless.

Back
Top Bottom