Fernando Llorente

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hang on... so Vorm's left, but no mention of Llorente yet on the OS...

Llorente's contract doesn't expire until the end of the month so there's still time for him to sign a new deal. I'd imagine the OS will post a goodbye to him at the end of the month if he doesn't re-sign.

I'll miss the big Llampost. He did a cracking job when asked and wrote himself into the history book with that fine booty of his at City. A model professional in a time of spoiled brats.

If the day ends in the letter Y I usually watch Moura's goal and watching Nando do precisely what he is good at will mean I won't be forgetting him anytime soon.

Fernando Llorente's situation at Tottenham Hotspur has caused some confusion among the club's fans.

The 34-year-old's contract at the club ended on June 30, however Spurs have not announced his departure from north London as they did with goalkeeper Michel Vorm last month. The only indication of his status is that the Spaniard no longer appears on the club's squad list on their website.

Llorente's name was on the released list the club submitted to the Premier League early last month, however that was simply because the retained and released lists had to be handed in to the Premier League by June 7 by every club rather than him actually being released.

Any players who have been offered a contract automatically move to the retained list with (offer) next to their name. It's signalling the club have made an attempt to retain them but in Llorente's case there was still time after that date to make an offer and there currently still is.

Even though Llorente's contract expiry date has come and gone, football.london understands that his status has not changed at the club as of yet, with neither the club releasing him nor the player choosing to leave.

A lack of announcement from Spurs or the player indicates that a final decision is yet to be made on his future.

It's standard practice with many contracts that a player must be paid a month's severance pay if they have not found a new club a month after their contract ends.

Llorente is now free to move to another club and the absence of confirmation from either side could also indicate that Tottenham might look to yet offer the veteran striker a new deal with a lower salary than his previous one if he cannot find anything better this month.

However, on the flip side if the Spaniard does agree terms with a new club in the coming days then it would all move very quickly with them able to announce him at their own discretion, with Tottenham simply informed. Until then his situation will remain the same.

Back
Top Bottom