Fernando Torres

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yep, in a heartbeat. He'd be a monster again with the chances that would be laid on for him in our current side.

In a fucking second. Striker sorted for the next few years, can play up front alone, and can be absolutely fucking deadly. His confidence has been destroyed after that huge move to Chelsea so a fresh start is what he needs.

http://www.surrealfootball.com/2011/12/ ... r-chelsea/

Just watched this and it reminded me a bit of why I had a Liverpool flirtation for a while back in college before I fell in love with Spurs. Shadow of the player he once was? Maybe, but you watch that video and it's fucking frightening how much pace, instinct, and technique the kid had with the ball. In those shots there's a level of ruthlessness in his possession that you simply don't find very often outside of Messi, Ronaldo, etc. That kid was a wrecking crew. I fucking loathed his move to Chelsea, but since that's been such a miserable flop I've regained a lot of sympathy for the kid and would love to see him put his career back together at Spurs.

He was very injury prone, though, wasn't he? I think the fear is that those injuries caught up with him. I don't think I'd stop laughing until the day I died if Chelsea gave up, he moved to Spurs for a cut-rate Levy/Redknapp price, and then put his game back together and got back to his former world-class stature. Of course he'd have to accept a +100k pound cut in wages per week. Realistically, who else is going to pay him +100k weekly considering Chelsea's embarrassing management of him?

AberdeenYid said:
Nope, he's fucked. Will never be the player he was.

Disagree. He is an incredible talent and you don't just lose that. His confidence has been shot to bits by a huge mega money move to a club with great expectations who rarely give anyone the time of day if the don't succeed immediately E.g. Ancelotti. Given some love and support by a team and fans that actually appreciate football I think he could be the player he once was. See Adebayor for the perfect example of this.

I can't think of a better club in the prem for him to go to than us and I would take him in a shot but unfortunately I can see him going back to Spain in the not so distance future.

Torres is an interesting one. At 20million that's a calculated risk when you look at prices being asked for some other players, but at 28years old I don't think Levy would do it

If he did though you have a dilemma, does he need to be the number 1 striker at a club? If given a start every week to find some form and confidence would he do well or just not be able to take all the pressure that brings.
Or would he be happy as a number 2 striker coming on as sub and starting the occasional game and proving he should be number 1?

Personally I think he would be best going back to Spain and getting away from England, would love to see him in a Spurs shirt but can't see Chelsea doing any business with an English team, far too risky for them. Especially can't see them doing business with Spurs.

kushty said:
If we enquire about him you can bet that Chelsea will want Judas rat face scarecrow boy as part of the deal

aka The best midfielder in the English prem currently wearing a Spurs shirt.

Have to say if I was a footballer playing for a club I had no childhood affiliation to etc I would leave for double the wages. Abramovich did not get to where he is in the world by playing fair, Modric was just a pawn in a much bigger game.

If Modric had of come through the system like this cunt :cunt: I can understand the whole Judas thing, but he didn't. We took him from a club and current football dictates someone would do the same to us one day.
Levy's job is to get the maximum return when that happens which is something Chelsea weren't prepared to do.

Plus his agent trying to make his percentage on the deal would have been a massive driving force.

I can understand the reason why people feel this way, but as a total mercenary in the past in my own career I would be hypocritical to start feeling that way about footballers. They are all one bad tackle away from the end of their careers every time they play - so yeah earn the maximum you can, doesn't always mean personal happiness will follow though. And we are back to Mr Torres.

his last major injury ruined his pace which was his main asset. Would still have the potential to score goals of course but would be a massive gamble for anyone in anything other than Spanish football where I expect he'd be able to draw a line under his time in England and start a fresh.

Personally I don't believe we'll ever see Torres at his best again. He reminds me of how Lennon would be if he lost his pace.

kushty said:
Whoo someone's a little up tight about Modric....

Nah just sat next to someone at the Liverpool game saying all that shit before the game. Told him to STFU and support the team if not the man. Love the shirt and all that.

Then he scored - the Lane went mental, point proved. He even bought me a beer at half time.

Like I said I understand your point, but I have sat watching people like Dozell and Samways, Modric is a different class. At an age where I just want to appreciate I suppose.

I remember a Samways goals against Oldham (I think) that saved us from relegation with 1 game to go (again I think). Whether I'm right on those stats or not, I'll always remember that goal.

In his current form, I'd be extremely surprised if Levy would take such a gamble.

You can't go spending £20mil on a player on the off chance he may go back to the same form he experienced at Liverpool.

Almost as mad as spending £35+ mil on Andy Caroll.

Back
Top Bottom