Final game of the season vs. Newcastle (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

First let us thank the loyal yids who traveled north and spent there hard earned salaries on that shit ,to the young fans who idolize players who prove not worthy .We do not deserve to be humiliated in that way ,fuck Woolwich, fuck Leicester .You are we are Tottenham Hotspurs a great club with a great history we can take defeat god knows we have had enough practice .
Read this forum read your twitter accounts and try and understand today you deserted us ,but please understand THIS FUCKING HURT .

Whatever happens to them it'll be tough, either fighting for survival or tying to give their fans something to sing about if already relegated .

Let's try & get 11 yellows & make it so gruesome that MotD have to pixelate the highlights

:bentalebscream::dier::pochserious2::walker-scream:

Townsend taking a shot on Sunday...

tumblr_njy62uzqWv1rv8b97o2_400.gif

tumblr_njy62uzqWv1rv8b97o10_400.gif

The wifes gone round her mates, the dogs hiding under the table, the neighbours have boarded up their windows.Fucking hell after 50 years i should know better. Where the fucks the transfer thread, i have some ideas.

Disgusted.

Shafted up the backside by rich children who don't care or understand rivalry.

All the goodwill earned this season pissed away over a few games. Couldn't even beat AVB's points record.

People making excuses for this shite can go fuck themselves. We wouldn't even be in the CL but for the shitness of other teams.

Leicester were deserved winners of the title. Why? Because they gave a shit...unlike us.

That was a fucking disgrace. So unprofessional by everyone except Lamela and Kane.

Even Hugo, just fucking standing there for the fourth goal. Walker was abysmal. Toby and Jan looked like they were a mile apart all the time and yards behind the player they were supposed to be marking. Mason can fuck off, had his chance. Son looks like a competition winner. Eriksen was a fucking waste of a shirt, yet again. The subs? Fucking hell.....

Poch sat on his arse and took it down his gullet.

A bigger fucking meltdown by the squad than the Harry season, the spineless, feckless cunts.

Also in contrast to the players don't care mantra, remember this chap?

That's what someone who leaves it all on the pitch, he doesn't fuck off when the going gets tough, I recall Vertonghen getting sent off before extra time against Basel in 2013, Dawson played as a 1 man defensive wall for half an hour in the single most valiant display I've seen a Spurs player put it, most of this players just haven't got the steel or graft.

Newcastle v Spurs Preview

It was only a couple of weeks ago I made myself look a right tit by saying that we are at such level beyond our opposition in these final games that we need not worry about their game but merely concentrate on our own.

Cut forward to Wednesday night and I’m celebrating a Sunderland win that means Sunday’s opponents are already relegated.

Tim Sherwood claimed that AVB was fired because ‘Winning isn’t enough.’ at Spurs ‘You have to win pretty.’ And that certainly rings true with me. Without beauty, results are joyless.

This Sunday, however, I’ll take the most boring, insipid, backwards joke of a game. Anything. As long as we don’t lose. As long as we get a point. As long as we finish above Woolwich.

Newcastle might be relegated but they were also the first club to show the league that without Dembele our playstyle leaves us too physically weak in midfield and easily pressed.

Ryan Mason has been his stand in and while I’ve defended him, and while I maintain that he is a good player he’s not suited to playing in midfield for this Spurs side right now. No-one is going to compare to Dembele for physical presence but Mason is especially lightweight and I suspect a little more fearful of contact since his injury.

Without a miraculous return to fitness and form from Nabil Bentaleb replacing Mason in midfield to beef it up is a tricky one. There’s a handful of possibilities and none really stand out.

We could bring in Wimmer and have either him or Vertonghen play in midfield alongside Dier.

screen-shot-2016-05-13-at-15-03-49.png

Starting all four centre-backs is a bit Tony Pulis and certainly leaves us short of creativity from deep but I’ll refer you to my intro: I’d play 10 defenders if it meant we came away with a point this weekend.

We could introduce Chadli and drop Eriksen alongside Dier.

screen-shot-2016-05-13-at-15-07-42.png

Eriksen is no less lightweight than Mason but he has the touch, vision, creativity and skill that may mean he is able to avoid those battles without losing the ball.

There’s Tom Carroll but he’s even worse for that and now we’re running out of options. We could bring in Onomah.

screen-shot-2016-05-13-at-15-12-15.png

Bringing in a 5’11 19 year old to add strength to your midfield isn’t standard procedure and Onomah certainly isn’t a powerhouse. But he does have the control and on-the-ball confidence that could just be enough to help us out.

Nacer Chadli is a big lad with a good touch and Sherwood once played in in central midfield. But no.

Son or N’jie could move up top to let Kane come deep and do a job in midfield, I actually quite like that idea, but there’s no way Poch would go for that.

In fact I feel there’s a strong possibility that Pochettino won’t do any of these or think up one of his own. I think he’ll do as he has before, show faith in a decision he’s previously made and play Mason again.

There’s something to be said for two existing media narratives about relegated teams. One is that they can sometimes improve once they are free from pressure and I think that’s been shown to be true. The other is that relegated teams can become even worse than they were because relegation can suck the life out of you and I think that’s shown to be true too.

Relegation means freedom. You’re free to make mistakes. You’re free to take risks in the final third which means that you can start making plays and converting chances that you previously hadn’t. And that freedom also means you don’t really care if you slip up defensively.

The one worry from Newcastle coming into this game is that they would play a physical, pressing game against a demoralised Tottenham side with Mason in midfield which would see us get overturned. But I don’t think that’s how you play after you’ve been relegated. I certainly hope it isn’t…

screen-shot-2016-05-13-at-15-37-06.png

If results stay as they are then for me this whole season will have been undone by our total capitulation to fucking Woolwich. Pochettino may not think it important, Levy obviously doesn`t, he`s failed every fucking year since he`s been at the club. But to the fans that share the same living and working enviroment as woolwich fans it means a fucking lot. Cunts.

I hate this 'if you offered us 3rd or top 4' or whatever bullshit, the plain fact of the matter is we have completely bottled a runnerup position to them cunts from a seemingly impossible position. This is even worse than the Redknapp fuck up because we are a better team now and were genuine contenders till a month ago and absolutely flying.
Tbh I though we lost our chance failing to beat woolwich and the draw at anfield compounded it for me.

Shameful way to finish off the season and the players should be kicked firmly in the groin for feeling sorry for themselves the last four games.
Fuck off, you're professional athletes who have sulked their way below woolwich with a fucking wimper. Didn't think this team was capable of this tbqh and its left a sour taste to an otherwise great season.

Back
Top Bottom