Final game of the season vs. Newcastle (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What's people's opinions on the following...is it okay to finish level on points with the scum and beat them on goal difference? I reckon they will then say "you haven't finished with more points than us for 20 years", does this matter? Would you take a draw now? Obviously better to have more points than them but how much do you care as long we're above them? The scum are 98% certain to beat Villa I would say.

I honestly don't give a flying one, they've already tried it on me, "Ha... your best season for 50 years and you still fell short.... " it's such a weak tenuous argument that it doesn't even warrant a response. They have massively underachieved this season (again). We have massively overachieved this season. The gap has narrowed by us coming up and them coming down.

They all know this and that's why they are so rattled.

Last edited:
Its also worth noting that although Newcastle's home form isn't atrocious, they've only won 6 games at home all season (they've only won two on the road and once was at ours but shhh).

Also Southampton are the second best team in the league on form at the minute and i think, as usual, a lot of us underestimated our opponents.

Bentaleb with chance to win over Pochettino after relationship soured

He played very well for a while but after falling out of favour I think he may have let it get to his head - his couple of performances this year have been terrible from memory, I understand the same could be said recently about Mason but a large part of it will be how they apply themselves in training which we don't see. If Poch isn't happy with Bentaleb he'll be moved on like others before him, if Mason gives his all in training but it doesn't quite happen on match day it'll be hard for us to see but arguably Poch would be right to make that call.
I think the fact that Bentaleb never crops up in any of the Spurs YouTube or Spurs Go clips says a lot. He's clearly detached from the core group which suggests that he doesn't play well with others or at least doesn't fit in with our lads.

He's been the biggest disappointment this season from a player perspective. I hope he pulls it around but I trust Poch 100% if he decides he's not right for us.

I hope that Sunderland win tomorrow and Newcastle are down before we play them. Because if they need to beat us, I am sure they will at the moment. Especially after the shocking performance on Sunday.

I hope that Sunderland win tomorrow and Newcastle are down before we play them. Because if they need to beat us, I am sure they will at the moment. Especially after the shocking performance on Sunday.
On reflection I'm not sure that Sunday was as bad a performance as it felt. Southampton are the form team ATM and a very good one at that.

We dominated possession and they scored from their only two shots on target. One being a deflection and one largely assisted by Walker being down injured during the attack.

There were definitely some poor performances out there no doubt and we are missing Dembele and Alli quite badly (though Son has scored 2 in 2) but Newcastle and Soton are two very different propositions.

The last couple of results has us feeling like the old Tottenham again but we aren't that fragile side anymore and I'm sure (almost) that we will get the job done on Sunday.

We've run out of opportunities NOT to do the job on Sunday.
WE HAVE TO!

Either we ARE the New Spurs...
or we're still just the old one with some cosmetic changes!

My impression of yesterday's match was not of a team not trying, but of a team that was knackered. But still- they need to find the last vestiges of energy and do what is needed next week. If this was Italy we would be paying a visit to their houses (or at least the training ground!) to remind them of the importance of finishing above the scum.

What's people's opinions on the following...is it okay to finish level on points with the scum and beat them on goal difference? I reckon they will then say "you haven't finished with more points than us for 20 years", does this matter? Would you take a draw now? Obviously better to have more points than them but how much do you care as long we're above them? The scum are 98% certain to beat Villa I would say.
they came above us due to food poisoning once, I could not care less how we do it (more points, GD, head to head whatever) as long as it gets done.

Suddenly people start to doubt the team because of one loss. We're playing against bloody Newcastle, they are 18th for a reason, we'll fucking smash them. COYS!

Agreed and it matters fuck all that they beat us earlier in the season!

Are you listening Scott?

Agreed and it matters fuck all that they beat us earlier in the season!

Are you listening Scott?
nope, I am reading.
& if you had been reading, you would know I already said I think we will get at least the point we need for the runners up spot.
I recently predicted us to beat wba & Southampton. but who cares , its not negative so just ignore it.

his smash em post was similar to a lot of the posts before the home game against Newcastle.

it could be a very tricky game. but if we play like we can, we will do the job.

Nacer-Chadli-goal.gif

nope, I am reading.
& if you had been reading, you would know I already said I think we will get at least the point we need for the runners up spot.
I recently predicted us to beat wba & Southampton. but who cares , its not negative so just ignore it.

Reading

Was that an attempt at a joke?

Side splitting

:ap:

On reflection I'm not sure that Sunday was as bad a performance as it felt. Southampton are the form team ATM and a very good one at that.

We dominated possession and they scored from their only two shots on target. One being a deflection and one largely assisted by Walker being down injured during the attack.

There were definitely some poor performances out there no doubt and we are missing Dembele and Alli quite badly (though Son has scored 2 in 2) but Newcastle and Soton are two very different propositions.

The last couple of results has us feeling like the old Tottenham again but we aren't that fragile side anymore and I'm sure (almost) that we will get the job done on Sunday.
I think a draw would have been the fair result against Southampton.

Reading

Was that an attempt at a joke?

Side splitting

:ap:
yeah, I crave being liked & found funny on this board. it means so much to me.
you have really hurt my feelings by not finding it funny.
I really need your approval bazali.

No you don't

I think you're on this board as a wum to piss people off and I'm not the only one!

Has anyone called you a Gooner, multi, maggot, troll, cunt or similar not including me?

But if they have that's a result for you, yes?

No you don't

I think you're on this board as a wum to piss people off and I'm not the only one!

Has anyone called you a Gooner, multi, maggot, troll, cunt or similar not including me?

But if they have that's a result for you, yes?
oh yes I get off on it. call me a cunt again. mmmm

Dominated against Southampton?

Not in the game I saw. We consistenly laboured to eve get the bal into their 3rd, whereas they easily rushed it into our 3rd. Thus effectivly making our pressing zones collapse and putting our defence under instant pressure.

Don't be daft. Saints fully deserved to win - after scoring we folded completely.

they came above us due to food poisoning once, I could not care less how we do it (more points, GD, head to head whatever) as long as it gets done.
Good fucking point, another time they did it due to a goalie (Fulop) letting in two goals...although apparently he's a yid! http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-vs-Woolwich-preview-marton-1740700

Dominated against Southampton?

Not in the game I saw. We consistenly laboured to eve get the bal into their 3rd, whereas they easily rushed it into our 3rd. Thus effectivly making our pressing zones collapse and putting our defence under instant pressure.

Don't be daft. Saints fully deserved to win - after scoring we folded completely.
Can't agree on this, we certainly didn't play well but they only had two shots on target and fuck knows what Hugo was on but they were both scruffy goals.Thought we deserved a draw.

Back
Top Bottom