Final game of the season vs. Newcastle (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

These are your comments
  1. To be humiliated shows we still possess the ability to let an actual mathematical lead go.
  2. Only Tottenham could do that.
  3. Every time I say 3 points from 12 needed I am furious.
  4. A disgrace.
  5. As was the desire from the players in the last two games.
  6. Look at Newcastle, they'd already gone down.
  7. Still the same soft bottling Tottenham deep down.
These are damning, carping and accusatory statements that don't sound like they come from someone whose support is unconditional and blind. They sound like they come from someone who has done an appraisal of clubs and worked out that Spurs might be going somewhere and feels angry that his investment has failed.
So my comment wan't childish, just challenging.
Here's my challenge, get some passion and love for the club and treat it like its your child. That way you forgive it for its faults, love it unconditionally and support it with your dying breath - not see it as an exercise in picking a hip team that will allow you to show everyone how clever you are for selecting them.
I have seen this team relegated and I have seen it try its hardest to get relegated again, I have seen it descend into farce and reduce me to tears. Nothing surprises me about my team any more, but I still remain a committed fan with an unconditional acceptance of all that happens to it.
Most of all - I am really proud of the way it conducted its business this season, the way we played, the performances of our best players and the fact that we finally had a team. None of the top 10 "put us down" and we only lost a handful of games to any of them by the odd goal.
One freak result that ultimately has left us pissed off simply because the goons jumped us by a point - and people want to swear blind that every player is a cunt and the manager is a wanker.

Sorry my friend, I don't play that way. I'm in this for the long haul. Good or bad, Champions League or conference, its my team and I will back it and support it to the bitter end.

You say I believe that the last game was acceptable? Seriously?

I think that a "Fuck you" is in order.

This isn't the same team as any that have collapsed in the past, so I stand by the comment I made about that as well.

No they are not statements that sound like they came from someone with ‘conditional’ support. If as you say, I did a appraisal of clubs and chose whatever one was ‘hip’ then I would simply move onto another club surely. A stupid statement from you.

No I am not angry in my investment in watching every single game this season one way or another. I've done that every year (when possible) and will continue to do that, thank you for believing you know me. I know many spurs supporters that watch the matches when convenient but don’t arrange their life around it. I do unless there is something physically stopping me like a major family event or being abroad on a family holiday, which I can be forgiven for putting first and following the match one way or another

I treat the support of the club as like another child actually. I in that I am over the moon when things go well and miserable sod when they don’t to all around me, but as long as they have tried their best I am more than proud of them no matter what. That is clearly someone who loves to support the club and does so with passion.

I have no issues with the results before now. It is when I see what I saw in the last 3-4 games that I do not like and won’t sit here patting them on the back.

No it is not a freak result as such. Maybe by the amount of goals we conceded but that’s only because we threw everything forward at 2-1 onwards. Following the WBA draw, we went into the Chelsea game and lost our heads. Once that game was drawn we again had 2 games to get 1 point and we played like we were on holiday already. Had we lost 1-0 playing our a55es off then I would be less critical of them, The first half was an utter disgrace (yes there is that word again), Newcastle were already down, they had nothing to play for not even pride, how is it possible for them to perform like they did compared to us. I will not be proud of the way we collapsed in the last few games and certainly not for that performance where show less heart and passion then an already relegated team.

We have been feeling sorry for ourselves ever since WBA. The Chelsea game was purely a revenge mission. Kane, son and lamela are the only players that have shown any passion since after the WBA game and it was their professionalism that put us in the lead and the stupidity of others whose only mission was to go out and hurt players rather then help the team. Clearly the way the modern day football is. It’s a job to them, the club are the employees. The fans will often not mean anything to the player who will leave if they get more money or glory elsewhere. As I say, we showed all the heart and passion all year and honoured that effort by performing the way we did recently and that got worse yesterday. We did ourselves and the club and fans no justice. Hence my post. At least play for the fans if you don’t care about 3rd or 2nd. The fans want to be above Woolwich so play for them. I still support them but just face the humiliation either way.

Do not patronise me as if you know all the facts and know me all because you have ‘supported them longer’. I still carry on supporting them and have done so for over 25 years. I am in it for the long haul too my friend. So fuck you right back

And read what I said again. I did not say we had the same players. I said the memory of previous seasons, the collapses from positions where we have a big lead gets into the minds of players and coaching staff coming into the club. Not finishing above Woolwich is the monkey that is still on the back and will continually be talked about and next season and beyond unless we finally do it.

I love this club blindly and also would follow it to the Champions League or the Conference. IMO slagging off the players is not the same thing as slagging off the club itself. You can be critical of the players, the manager, the chairmen all you like, it doesn't make you any less of a yid. Those people come and go, and they are mainly in it for their own gain, it is the fans that make up the club, combined with things like the area, the stadium, the culture (e.g. our way of playing football, the colours, the badge, the hatred of our rivals) and those players or managers who became legends due to their service to the club like Billy Nick.
I have no argument with that, but then again I have never said that I did.

I'm still annoyed, Monday was pretty shit time to endure when facing gooners and chavski fans.

Dam you Spurs why????

Aaahhhh

Season is over... let's get over it.

COYS

No they are not statements that sound like they came from someone with ‘conditional’ support. If as you say, I did a appraisal of clubs and chose whatever one was ‘hip’ then I would simply move onto another club surely. A stupid statement from you.

No I am not angry in my investment in watching every single game this season one way or another. I've done that every year (when possible) and will continue to do that, thank you for believing you know me. I know many spurs supporters that watch the matches when convenient but don’t arrange their life around it. I do unless there is something physically stopping me like a major family event or being abroad on a family holiday, which I can be forgiven for putting first and following the match one way or another

I treat the support of the club as like another child actually. I in that I am over the moon when things go well and miserable sod when they don’t to all around me, but as long as they have tried their best I am more than proud of them no matter what. That is clearly someone who loves to support the club and does so with passion.

I have no issues with the results before now. It is when I see what I saw in the last 3-4 games that I do not like and won’t sit here patting them on the back.

No it is not a freak result as such. Maybe by the amount of goals we conceded but that’s only because we threw everything forward at 2-1 onwards. Following the WBA draw, we went into the Chelsea game and lost our heads. Once that game was drawn we again had 2 games to get 1 point and we played like we were on holiday already. Had we lost 1-0 playing our a55es off then I would be less critical of them, The first half was an utter disgrace (yes there is that word again), Newcastle were already down, they had nothing to play for not even pride, how is it possible for them to perform like they did compared to us. I will not be proud of the way we collapsed in the last few games and certainly not for that performance where show less heart and passion then an already relegated team.

We have been feeling sorry for ourselves ever since WBA. The Chelsea game was purely a revenge mission. Kane, son and lamela are the only players that have shown any passion since after the WBA game and it was their professionalism that put us in the lead and the stupidity of others whose only mission was to go out and hurt players rather then help the team. Clearly the way the modern day football is. It’s a job to them, the club are the employees. The fans will often not mean anything to the player who will leave if they get more money or glory elsewhere. As I say, we showed all the heart and passion all year and honoured that effort by performing the way we did recently and that got worse yesterday. We did ourselves and the club and fans no justice. Hence my post. At least play for the fans if you don’t care about 3rd or 2nd. The fans want to be above Woolwich so play for them. I still support them but just face the humiliation either way.

Do not patronise me as if you know all the facts and know me all because you have ‘supported them longer’. I still carry on supporting them and have done so for over 25 years. I am in it for the long haul too my friend. So fuck you right back

And read what I said again. I did not say we had the same players. I said the memory of previous seasons, the collapses from positions where we have a big lead gets into the minds of players and coaching staff coming into the club. Not finishing above Woolwich is the monkey that is still on the back and will continually be talked about and next season and beyond unless we finally do it.
I can only respond to the things you post.
When have I said that I am in possession of "all the facts?"
Or made out that because I have supported the club longer than you (if I have) that I am a better supporter?

I think I am a better supporter than you because you are on here bleating like a spoiled child because you didn't get what you expected.

I however - whilst disappointed that it could have been better (we could have won all 38) am pretty happy with an unexpected season of great performances, improved players, and some great results.

I don't feel the need to wail like an air raid siren because I don't have the league table to wind gooners up.

But then again if any gooner wants to come at me, I am confident that I can hold my own and still feel proud of the club I support.

The first time I got the sense that you were proud of the club - no matter what, was when you said it above. Up until then you were just another whining disgruntled poster.

Good for you though, if we are on the same page with our support, we should get along famously if we ever meet.

Watched the game once again... only explanation would be that they wanted to avoid any injuries before the EUROs.

Especially Vertonghen, I have got enough of him somehow. Not just because I want to see Wimmer play more, but because I never know how to judge him. He is a talented footballer, but attitude and mentality wise Im never 100% sure about him. Or maybe Im just reading too much into it.
I think he will go. You may well get your wish

I can only respond to the things you post.
When have I said that I am in possession of "all the facts?"
Or made out that because I have supported the club longer than you (if I have) that I am a better supporter?

I think I am a better supporter than you because you are on here bleating like a spoiled child because you didn't get what you expected.

I however - whilst disappointed that it could have been better (we could have won all 38) am pretty happy with an unexpected season of great performances, improved players, and some great results.

I don't feel the need to wail like an air raid siren because I don't have the league table to wind gooners up.

But then again if any gooner wants to come at me, I am confident that I can hold my own and still feel proud of the club I support.

The first time I got the sense that you were proud of the club - no matter what, was when you said it above. Up until then you were just another whining disgruntled poster.

Good for you though, if we are on the same page with our support, we should get along famously if we ever meet.

Don't think you can say you are a better supporter just because you are satisfied. As I said, you don't know me so can't say just because I now said I'm proud of supporting them that you suddenly think Im not another whining supporter.
Doesn't make me any less of a supporter or a whining child for saying what the majority is which purely around the last game. Hence the manager's apology as he know it was unacceptable as well. Noticed a theme on this forum since the game was going on? If you are happy then good for you. Maybe the players should take a leaf from your book and have got over not winning the title, looked at what they had done so far and acted professional in the remaining games. They didn't. Discipline, focus, pride went down the toilet. Maybe they were whining children like us fans, except for you.

Good old Mick still slinging the "glass is half full" POV. The future still looks very bright for Tottenham but you clearly picked the wrong 48 hours to sell that to your audience via this good old Forum.

Last edited:
Jesus mate - are you still the poster boy out there in the US of A trying to sell the English word "wanker" to the American public?

You are earning your bonus.

Coming from the all time top seller in England , that means a ton Mick. Lmao. Now give us further context on how we should be reacting as a proper supporter to this debacle of a Spurs finish.

show me the post where I said I was proud of that performance.
Show me the post where I said I was happy with what I saw
Show me the post where I said that I didn't want us to win the title.

Go on. Show me.

I can show you plenty of posts where I said that I was proud of what this young team achieved, without a multimillion pound talent injection though.
I can show you posts where I said I was disappointed with the way the season ended - but still felt proud of the team I support.

Don't put words in my mouth that I never said, or posted eh?

Yawn. Show me this shown me that. Oh shut the fuck up. You are going on and insinuating such things. That's my opinion. If you don't like it piss off and comment on someone else's post. Show me a post where you said you agreed with someone criticising the team for the performances recently. Show me the post where I said that you said that you didn't want us to win the title. I'll show you plenty of posts of you having a go at people for saying exactly the same as I did. You can show yourself the first response you gave me, full of complete bullshit. I have every right to moan when I see that last two games. Yes league table to give some shit to the scum fans FOR ONCE IN 26 YEARS is important. And that from needing 1 more fucking point. That's what a proper spurs fan would want. Not "oh diddums well never mind" no fan is going to supporting the team. It is part of the DNA to hate scum and want to finish above em in us fans. Get it?

Back
Top Bottom