Final game of the season vs. Newcastle (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fucking embarrassing. They scored three goals when they were down to 10 men. 3 GOALS.

They say the table don't lie. The scum deserved to finish above us because they lost and drew fewer games than us.Our lot are happy with CL football, so they dont give a fuck where they finish.

And it was nice to get a mention in John Terry's farewell speech. Everybody hates us and we gave them all a reason to laugh yesterday.

Cunts

Dreading next season our final game at White Hart Lane. If we have nothing to play for our lot will probably throw in the towel for our fairwell game.

Might as well put in some financial incentives for it just so we don't get embrassed.

Thats a telling point
Leicester home
Liverpool away
Wet Spam
Goons home
Chavski away

big games
throw in Saints, WBrom, Stoke and NUFC at home and you see where our season went ( 4 of which were losses)

The last game is almost irrelevant. The team had already given all it had in the bank.

Lets be brutally honest, the season started with a major clear out, and no new blood that strengthened the team. We got what we achieved with a young and inexperienced team, where a lot of players stepped up and did us proud.
Rose
Dier
Alli
Dembele
Lamela.....
Alderweireld, was a major bonus

with further improvement from Kane and Eriksen

With Hugo being the rock that we knew him to be

I hated the way they did it, and the timing - but we hadn't lost by more than one goal to that point. If that team deserved and should be forgiven for - it was one bad result in the season
I will forgive but wont forget because they should learn form this and hopefully shouldn't happen again. A season makes a team and we are a decent outfit and have had a very good season.

I don't disagree, I was just responding to your question were we ever seriously in the race. We were.
Agree, just adding further comment. The season is played over 9 months and although it came down to one game to define where we are in the league, it was lost a few games ago. Simple as a draw at home against Southampton would have secured 2nd. Ifs and buts...we finished 3rd-a brilliant achievement and we should be proud.

You would have thought so wouldn't you.
It will and we will be better next season for this experience, Im sure We were short of a few players and this will hopefully be addressed. Im fucked if Im going to allow yesterday to mess up my day/week. My son has his GSCEs this week and over the next 5 weeks and id rather he passed them all than Spurs get 2nd or even win the PL, in fact. Thats where football is on on list. The players get paid a lot of money, they can feel bad for all of us. Lets just have a brilliant CL experience and all this will be soon forgotten. COYS!!

All this talk of whether the players are in it for themselves. The sad truth is that the simple answer is that of course they are. Anyone who thinks or even wants otherwise are stuck in the past. Those days are gone. Long gone. Not saying it's wrong to want the players to. We all want that. It's just unrealistic.

The point for me on that account is that however much yesterday hurt, then if that's what we want, we need to get behind the current manager. Fair enough if people think Poch along with the players let us badly down in the last month. We've got a manager, who values team ethos and pride in the team AND club. End of the day the players in the modern game will be in it for themselves, but we're not going to find a better manager (who can cut it at this level) to make sure that the players also understand playing for the club. I truly and honestly believe that Poch wants a culture where the base of everything happening in the squad is based on a core set of values that puts team and club above playing for themselves, even if it's going to a part of the package.

In the midst of our pain and disgust, what's been most forgotten is how furious Poch looked. My feeling was and is that he was upset in the same way as us - ie. feeling let down - much more than any other manager, I can think of would.

I'm still fuming. I just find the whole manner of the capitulation hard to stomach after so much promise this year. It feels no different than when we squandered a 13pt lead in Harry's last season.

In fact, it feels worse.

I thought a few hours sleep would calm me down. But this one's gonna stick with me for while.

What's more is that after all the signs that Spurs were finally a team with steel, these last few games have yet again sent out the message to potential recruits that Spurs always let you down in the end.

I feel like someone has taken a massive steel bar and has been hitting me repeatedly in the stomach with it since yesterday afternoon. I couldn't even check news websites yesterday evening through reluctance to see gooner gloating.

Last edited:
All this talk of whether the players are in it for themselves. The sad truth is that the simple answer is that of course they are. Anyone who thinks or even wants otherwise are stuck in the past. Those days are gone. Long gone. Not saying it's wrong to want the players to. We all want that. It's just unrealistic.

The point for me on that account is that however much yesterday hurt, then if that's what we want, we need to get behind the current manager. Fair enough if people think Poch along with the players let us badly down in the last month. We've got a manager, who values team ethos and pride in the team AND club. End of the day the players in the modern game will be in it for themselves, but we're not going to find a better manager (who can cut it at this level) to make sure that the players also understand playing for the club. I truly and honestly believe that Poch wants a culture where the base of everything happening in the squad is based on a core set of values that puts team and club above playing for themselves, even if it's going to a part of the package.

In the midst of our pain and disgust, what's been most forgotten is how furious Poch looked. My feeling was and is that he was upset in the same way as us - ie. feeling let down - much more than any other manager, I can think of would.
See I'd believe this IF it was comparable to the actions of other teams, what did Newcastle have to play for? Fuck all, but to give their fans some pride, their entire performance was for their supporters, if they can do it why can't we?

Trying to fell positive Mr S Pippo but between the humiliation of opposition fans and the realisation that some of our players will down tools if they don't have a title to fight for and are certain of CL football even if it would be a present to the fans really hurts.

Right now so just want the Euro's to come around and forget about the situation. Maybe I a few months I will look back with a better view but right now it feels like a typical Spursy fuck up.

* Oh Spurs. I dislike using the term ‘Spursy’ because every club in the land is capable of making you feel utterly miserable at any given time. Today, Tottenham were kings of the anti-climax and the lingering sense of resentment.

This has still been a wonderful season for Mauricio Pochettino, but the gloss has been scratched off their campaign in the final three weeks. If the home draw against West Brom, defeat to Southampton and ill-tempered draw with Chelsea weren’t disappointing enough, the performance at Newcastle was something to behold. It was an abomination.

Losing 5-1 is frustrating. Losing 5-1 to a relegated team only adds to the woe. Losing 5-1 to a relegated team with ten men piles more woe on top of woe. Losing 5-1 to a relegated team with ten men and allowing your rivals to overtake you on the final day is absolutely exceptional work. Tottenham didn’t so much shoot themselves in the foot as bathe in hot oil before jumping into a fire.

Pochettino was suitably angry after the game. “We need to be sure that never happens again and need to improve our mentality,” he told the BBC. “We were on holiday and that is the reality. In the last couple of weeks when you do not play with 100 per cent it is impossible to win games and after Chelsea something happened. We cannot manage games in the right way.

“I would like to apologise to our fans, I think they don’t deserve all that happened today on the pitch and I apologise. I am very disappointed because our fans don’t deserve it, it is difficult to go tonight and see my boys and my wife.” Sheesh.

Tottenham’s result also meant that Pochettino’s side ended the season on 70 points. That’s two fewer than in Andre Villas-Boas’ full season in charge, when they finished fifth. Funny ol’ game, Saint.

16 Conclusions: Premier League's final day - Football365

Agree. I think the players let Poch and us down against WBA, Chelski, Southampton and obviously yesterday. I still can't get my head around us letting in 7 goals in two games. I think Hugo, Toby and Jan have had one eye on their national team and the Euros for the last two games.

Agree. I think the players let Poch and us down against WBA, Chelski, Southampton and obviously yesterday. I still can't get my head around us letting in 7 goals in two games. I think Hugo, Toby and Jan have had one eye on their national team and the Euros for the last two games.
TBF Hugo kept the scoreline in single figures, as for the centre backs and Dier, Walker, ZERO FUCKS GIVEN.

Also in contrast to the players don't care mantra, remember this chap?

That's what someone who leaves it all on the pitch, he doesn't fuck off when the going gets tough, I recall Vertonghen getting sent off before extra time against Basel in 2013, Dawson played as a 1 man defensive wall for half an hour in the single most valiant display I've seen a Spurs player put it, most of this players just haven't got the steel or graft.

See I'd believe this IF it was comparable to the actions of other teams, what did Newcastle have to play for? Fuck all, but to give their fans some pride, their entire performance was for their supporters, if they can do it why can't we?

Oh, I agree. It's damn near impossible to disagree with!

My point was that Poch felt the same way by the looks of him. As I wrote in the transfer thread, I'm confident that Poch will let these guys know in no uncertain terms that this sort of surrender is not anywhere good enough. If they don't understand that, they can fuck right off. I'm just happy, we have the manager, we do, because - just to use the one we almost got - LVG would likely have used the newly found CL status and the money to buy mercenaries. Poch will imho look to cut anyone who doesn't understand playing for personal and club pride out, and look to sign people who do.

It will and we will be better next season for this experience, Im sure We were short of a few players and this will hopefully be addressed. Im fucked if Im going to allow yesterday to mess up my day/week.

Sorry... but we've been saying that in one form or another for the past TWEBTY-ONE FUCKING YEARS!

Good luck to your Son for his GCSE's though...!!
Priorities I guess...

...but if he fails them all, then maybe he can become a footballer!!!

Back
Top Bottom