Final game of the season vs. Newcastle (away)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess it isn't too crazy to see that AVB's first team was actually quite good

Defoe
Bale - Siggurdson - Dempsey
Dembele - Sandro
BAE - Vertonghen - Dawson - Walker
Lloris

vs

Kane
Alli - Eriksen - Lamela
Dembele - Dier
Rose - Vertonghen - Alderweireld - Walker
Lloris

AVB P 38 W 21 D 9 L 8 GF 66 GA 46 GD +20 PTS 72
Pochettino P 38 W 19 D 13 L 6 GF 69 GA 35 GD +34 PTS 70

..and which one is better to watch?

..and which one is better yo watch?
Obviously this year's, although it does depends some of the time, Alli's goal aside we don't get goals like Bale's (Eriksen's ability to shoot from outside the box seems to have gone), AVB was better to watch on the touchline and I feel we were better to watch in our defeats that season. DAT EUROPA LEAGUE RUN THOUGH......

FUUUUCKKKK, anyone remember the second leg against Internazionale though? That was all kinds of shit.

I want to know exactly who Poch thinks is to blame for the decline since the WBA game, and specifically yesterday.
I watched it on a very poor quality stream yesterday, so was hard to see much other than the general flow of the game.
It's not about a witchhunt (well ok, a little), but ensuring this debacle never happens again, and that the biggest offenders fucking learn.

I want to know exactly who Poch thinks is to blame for the decline since the WBA game, and specifically yesterday.
I watched it on a very poor quality stream yesterday, so was hard to see much other than the general flow of the game.
It's not about a witchhunt (well ok, a little), but ensuring this debacle never happens again, and that the biggest offenders fucking learn.
#HangMason

That was a shower of shit yesterday no doubt, a masterclass in how to throw a seasons worth of goodwill out of the window in one match. This won't be forgotten easily and if this manager and team don't hit the ground running next season then the fans will be fucking spitting feathers after a few games. If they had put a shift in and got us 2nd then they would have been bullet proof for a while but not now. Stupid fuckers have only themselves to blame.

I'm pretty sure that Keegan wasn't media trained.

Different era i suppose. Every word hyper analysed (snigger) and discussed across multiple platforms now. Managers and players need to be on their toes for potential trip ups every second. Plus the press are even more desperate to sell print due to a more competitive market so are constantly looking for controversy where there isn't any.

Respectfully disagree. The attitude Poch has will seep its way through to the players, regardless of what he says in private. He could have given the usual boring interview without saying that stuff about Woolwich. I think he knew he fucked up and that's why he said it was the worst day of his managerial career.

Perhaps you are right, he's got it wrong twice now with regard to Woolwich in the minds of the fans which is bad news.

I can't believe he didn't know how important is was though. He's an ex player and has history of both the Rosario Derby and the Derbi barceloni which are no picnics. He tried to play it down i guess, to rise above it, but the questions were always going to come up so its not like he could have avoided them.

Then who would you suggest that is better than Dembele and can do all of that for us that is someone we can reasonably get?

See my previous answer to Tomo. I don't need to. We employ about 30 scouts and coaches. If they can't spot players to improve every position, then we are majorly fucked.

Sometimes team isn't firing all cyclinders and the ref can lift you out of that rut, or in Tottenham's case (ALWAYS) put the boot in.

Yesterday was one of worst penalties given against any team, ref knowing it didn't matter to Newcastle but mattered to us (and Woolwich), so at 2-1 against 10 men he virtually killed off our last chance.

Do not forget that point when you slag off our players for giving up.

I don't think you will want to hear many of the answers.

In truth many of our players starting checking out mentally about around the Dortmund games run. Only Toby seemed to be stabile while Alli, Dembele and Lamela were in ascendancy. Then Alli went, then Dembele, Lamela plateaued while Toby crashed and burned, most notably yesterday. But in truth a whole lot of the others had been on their way down around then.

I said after the first Dortmund game, what I thought we *looked* in poor form, but got scythed down by the staticstics-brigade in an almost religious manner. I stand by that. Actually *watching* our games from then and on, it's been clear that our performances as a team and as individuals (a few names excluded) have been in steady decline.

I am not having a go at anyone, even though doing so could be well justified: I am just calling it as I see it, spectating the games and watching what is really going on out there.

I don't think you will want to hear many of the answers.

In truth many of our players starting checking out mentally about around the Dortmund games run. Only Toby seemed to be stabile while Alli, Dembele and Lamela were in ascendancy. Then Alli went, then Dembele, Lamela plateaued while Toby crashed and burned, most notably yesterday. But in truth a whole lot of the others had been on their way down around then.

I said after the first Dortmund game, what I thought we *looked* in poor form, but got scythed down by the staticstics-brigade in an almost religious manner. I stand by that. Actually *watching* our games from then and on, it's been clear that our performances as a team and as individuals (a few names excluded) have been in steady decline.

I am not having a go at anyone, even though doing so could be well justified: I am just calling it as I see it, spectating the games and watching what is really going on out there.

United home and Stoke away don't support your theory

I don't know how to express myself today - I want to jump off a bridge......but also feel the need to maintain the facade that I'm happy with our season.

I am happy with the results over the season, but not with the performances over a whole lot of critical games.

Someone quoted the results against AVB:

AVB P 38 W 21 D 9 L 8 GF 66 GA 46 GD +20 PTS 72
Pochettino P 38 W 19 D 13 L 6 GF 69 GA 35 GD +34 PTS 70

I think this makes for pretty sobering reading. Result is a result, and we can be happy that A) the football is much, much better B) even after the expected summer cull, we still sport a whole lot of homegrown players, and a team better connected to fans than most C) that to obtain a better league position result, we have started beating direct competitors regularly ...

... but do not kid yourselves, that we do not need new players ("who could we get better than XXX", oh do me a favour), that the team is not soft to the core (no Eric, Jan, Ryan, Dele, Danny and Kyle, hurling yourself into stupid tackles and getting involved in handbags doesn't prove you are mentally strong) and that the very concept of Spursiness is not still reeking through the core of the team.

There is a whole lot of work to do for Poch. Unpleasant work, since the next upgrade cannot be achieved without giving the kick to several home-grown, sympathetic players and without also probably considering the positions of some of the "star" players of even the first XI.

United home and Stoke away don't support your theory

Utd crumbed and we took advantage, i don't think we were particularly good for most of that game imo. Stoke was a good result but again they were on the beach that day bar a ten min spell in the first half.

Regardless of that, the results have had a worrying trend about them for a while now. People talk how Poch's teams struggle getting over the line. Experience is in short supply, from both the players and the manager. If we give them time we will learn and grow.

Utd crumbed and we took advantage, i don't think we were particularly good for most of that game imo. Stoke was a good result but again they were on the beach that day bar a ten min spell in the first half.

Regardless of that, the results have had a worrying trend about them for a while now. People talk how Poch's teams struggle getting over the line. Experience is in short supply, from both the players and the manager. If we give them time we will learn and grow.

Completely agree. Shocking, that fans by now still are trying to brush the obvious under the carpet.

Bale like Suarez and Ronaldo are in that top bracket who don't stay in the premier league for long, one offs who get 15 points themselves, which Bale did, at least 15, so when like AVB has him that season it is hard to compare. Kane and Alli are close to that and may be there next year.

The players let themselves down yesterday and a few will know it's squeaky bum time now as last summer was about dumping the pure shit Poch was given, this summer he can build a squad on top of our formidable first 11.

Wimmer, Son and our full back cover are fine everyone else could be in trouble as they are not as reliable as he requires.

Hey - go support Leicester then. They look like a classy team.
You're never too young/old to follow your dream.

These players are totally different people from any of the other players that label might have applied to, different manager etc etc. The only link is the strip and the home ground. Don't talk nonsense.

Childish response. Why should I go and support Leicester because I have an opinion. It's not nonsense. It's facts. Apart from kane lamela and son the rest did not care once the title was gone. They owed if to themselves and the coaching staff, fans to remain professional. Wanting 3 points from 12 is not much to ask is it. You clearly believe it was acceptable. That's up to you.

Completely agree. Shocking, that fans by now still are trying to brush the obvious under the carpet.

I don't think anyone's trying to brush anything under the carpet. The season was generally a good one that exceeded expectations. The football was excellent in places and we had our share of lucky results. Its clear we fell off towards the end but hopefully some lessons have been learnt and we can further develop our young team moving forward.

As a side note; I've never understood the obsession with comparing past managers results. It's done, over, move on.

What purpose does it serve other than to say "i told you i was right about XYZ" and even then its tenuous because of the sheer number of variables involved.

Not a dig at you personally btw.

Back
Top Bottom