Final home game of the season vs Southampton. 08 May, 1330KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

i think they focused on winning the league, not Woolwich. They fell well short & are now in danger of finishing behind them.

If anything, focusing on winning the title has hindered us.
We were over pumped up for a few games like the chavs.

& as it got more & more clearer we couldnt win the title, our performances have dropped off.

Realistically we will hardly ever challenge for the title.
So if we focus on that every season, then by easter most seasons we will be out the title race anyway.
Completely disagree, we started the season with an aim of trying for 4th, Title wasn't even discussed until 14th Feb when we beat Citeh (some maybe couple games before, for others after). Imaging if we started the season with the aim of winning the league. This is the mindset that he is tying to change. Now the players, management, directors will have a totally different focus because of this season, not inspite of it.

I disagree. I think that having the desire to try and chase Leicester put us in a position where, even with the wheels coming off against West Brom (where we were unlucky rather than poor), and dropping points for three games in a row - we still find ourselves with second place in our own hands.

We may be anxious about the final day, but it's a far cry from praying for an unlikely Woolwich loss to drag ourselves into the top 4.
fair enough. I think we would have beaten wba & chelsea if the title wasnt on the line.
Loads of extra pressure which we didnt handle.
We ended up with 2 key players having 9 games suspension!

Fair enough, I think he is paying lip service to the fans, and I don't blame him. Let's be honest, a large section of our home fans are shit. There's a reason our away record is better than our home.
Though bear in mind that we often benefit away from home because the opposition team are less likely to sit back and play us on the counter.

fair enough. I think we would have beaten wba & chelsea if the title wasnt on the line.
Loads of extra pressure which we didnt handle.
We ended up with 2 key players having 9 games suspension!
I can see the logic here, as there wouldn't have been the same heightened 'occassion' around those games... But those bans are down to Alli and Dembele's stupidity rather than Poch.

Completely disagree, we started the season with an aim of trying for 4th, Title wasn't even discussed until 14th Feb when we beat Citeh (some maybe couple games before, for others after). Imaging if we started the season with the aim of winning the league. This is the mindset that he is tying to change. Now the players, management, directors will have a totally different focus because of this season, not inspite of it.
& i sir, disagree with you.
Leicester started with staying up as their target & won it.
I dont think aiming higher means u finish higher.
If we had aimed for the title from day 1, i dont think we would have had a better start.
That was due to much bigger things than the players mindset.

If we had aimed for the title from day 1, i dont think we would have had a better start.
Couldn't give a fuck what Liecester were thinking.
Given the season we have just had, want do you think these lads will be thinking they are capable of next season?

Though bear in mind that we often benefit away from home because the opposition team are less likely to sit back and play us on the counter.

Our away fans are better. It's got nothing to do with how we play, have you read what people have said about the game today, and the behaviour of our supposed fans? It will be 10 times worse in the new stadium. I'm dreading it, as I am playing at Wembley. The wankers have won mate.

Couldn't give a fuck what Liecester were thinking.
Given the season we have just had, want do you think these lads will be thinking they are capable of next season?
winning the title. But that dont mean we will because they think it.

Anyway, we shall see next season if we win it now the players know they are capable of it.

Our away fans are better. It's got nothing to do with how we play, have you read what people have said about the game today, and the behaviour of our supposed fans? It will be 10 times worse in the new stadium. I'm dreading it, as I am playing at Wembley. The wankers have won mate.
Not disagreeing with you about the fans, by the way, I just think that teams come to WHL with a defensive plan that we find harder to break down, but less so when we go to their place.

Either way, if the team can play better at St James' Park, that's no bad thing.

I fear you're right, and that we'll see some of the problems that Man City fans have had. That single-tier stand might make the difference though - if the fans in that are anything like our away following, they'll help set the tempo for the rest of the crowd.

Not disagreeing with you about the fans, by the way, I just think that teams come to WHL with a defensive plan that we find harder to break down, but less so when we go to their place.

Either way, if the team can play better at St James' Park, that's no bad thing.

I fear you're right, and that we'll see some of the problems that Man City fans have had. That single-tier stand might make the difference though - if the fans in that are anything like our away following, they'll help set the tempo for the rest of the crowd.

I hope you're right, but I can't see it on recent evidence. We don't have 17,000 hardcore fans - mind you, nor does anyone else in the Prem. As long as ticket prices remain high, we'll suffer as much as anyone else. At the moment the idea of a 'wall of noise' in the south stand is a load of crap based on what I've seen this season. Just a load of kids who've forgotten the result by the time they reach Northumberland Park Station.

Leicester started with a target of 40 points. When they achieved that halfway through the season, Ranieri stated he wanted 41 points from the other half, a tiny uplift of 1 point, but enough to win the league. We scoffed, he won.

If your argument is that having targets doesn't mean you succeed, you shouldn't use target setting champions to back your argument up.

I am so sad and disappointed at this result. I need to watch the game back, but it was obviously a mental downfall, the Chavs game has had a massive effect on us and I'm not saying they are already in holiday mode, as Poch wouldn't allow that for sure, but it's natural for the players to feel the disappointment of not being able to win the title after a wonderful season. No excuses, but being realistic.
I just hope we get at least a draw against Newcastle. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, WE NEED A WIN!! THEY'RE AWFUL!!

Yet they beat us at home. Not confident at all given our late season meltdown

I keep coming back to the lack of professionalism I've seen in the past 3 games. It beggars belief that 3 winning positions in a row have been squandered. Whether 1st, 10th or 20th that is not on.

Each game matters, yes you can't win them all, but Christ at the business end of the season you don't go three games without a win in the manner we have. These guys are conceding and then just downing tools. Grow the fuck up. You have to fight for every point from start to finish. This is a worrying trate in our side that needs sorting. Surrendering 2nd is utterly unforgivable no matter how "good" the Season has been....and a summer of "we are so shit but we still finished above you" from the Goons just makes me feel sick.

I keep coming back to the lack of professionalism I've seen in the past 3 games. It beggars belief that 3 winning positions in a row have been squandered. Whether 1st, 10th or 20th that is not on.

Each game matters, yes you can't win them all, but Christ at the business end of the season you don't go three games without a win in the manner we have. These guys are conceding and then just downing tools. Grow the fuck up. You have to fight for every point from start to finish. This is a worrying trate in our side that needs sorting. Surrendering 2nd is utterly unforgivable no matter how "good" the Season has been....and a summer of "we are so shit but we still finished above you" from the Goons just makes me feel sick.
Agree totally-grow some footballs. I feel, we will get it right against NU and not lose. Some players have one eye on Euro 2016 Im afraid.

Leicester started with a target of 40 points. When they achieved that halfway through the season, Ranieri stated he wanted 41 points from the other half, a tiny uplift of 1 point, but enough to win the league. We scoffed, he won.

If your argument is that having targets doesn't mean you succeed, you shouldn't use target setting champions to back your argument up.
true. But i was more arguing against his point that said if we had targeted the title from day 1, we would have won it.

As u pointed out, leicester targeted survival & then just 1 more point once they got 40 pts.

I just dont think we will the title next season because we target it from day 1.
Theres far more too it than that.

I could have just said Woolwich, city, utd & chelsea all made the title their target.
It didnt work did it.

Back
Top Bottom