Fiorentina vs Tottenham 2nd Leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its a vicious fucking circle.

Get lumped into the shitty EL. Play 103 games just to get into the last 32. Our league form suffers because the players cannot play Thursdays and Sundays. Miss out on the top 4 because our league form suffers from playing in the shitty EL. Finish 5th or 6th and end up in the EL.

Get lumped into the shitty EL. Play 103 games just to get into the last 32. Our league form suffers because the players cannot play Thursdays and Sundays. Miss out on the top 4 because our league form suffers from playing in the shitty EL. Finish 5th or 6th and end up in the EL.

etc etc etc

Poch needs to tell Levy "If top 4 is your aim, I need to play reserves in the group stage of the EL next year and get out as soon as possible".

Fuck me. We never do well in the EL anyway. Jesus christ. There is no way Fiorentina are going to win it and they scored three goals against us!!

I just cannot understand why you keep on saying Tottenham are better than Fiorentina, even if the pitch has proved that you did well only the first half of the first leg.
You did underestimate Fiorentina, being sure of an easy victory, and now you just take the pain in the ass.
History is not mare by "what ifs", you can argue about B Teams and things like that. But the truth is you have been defeated by a "shitty team" from the "shitty Italian League".
Do you remember the story of Icarus? You just fell down, back to reality.
I was confident we would win, but I admit it was not based on any deep knowledge of Fiorentina. I couldn't have picked any of your team out of a line up.

Only one way for you to make it right now ... you have to win it. Good luck for the rest of the tournament.

Jesus, the amount of arguing you have to sift through on here to read anything related to Tottenham Hotspur is getting so boring.

Why don't you all meet up somewhere and bitch slap it out.

COYS

I thought Lamela was decent last night, had a spell of 10-15mins where he seemed to drift out of the game but apart from that he was snapping at the heels of the opposition, made a great pass which should have put us 1-0 and looked dangerous overall.

Spurs fans are splitted in 2 sides,half of them considering that Europa League was important to be there in european football,bring some image,points,glory etc ,and other half considering that Premier League is more important and if in the end of the season, somehow, catch a Champions League place is perfect than to advance more in Europa League (not so important competition),Liverpool also leave this competition to focus on Premier League.
For me ,Europa League become interesting just if you like team will play the final with the trophy on the table,Last 32 round look obsolete,far away from the final...
so now is important Premier League for Spurs,focus 100% on this direction,full speed.

Spurs fans are splitted in 2 sides,half of them considering that Europa League was important to be there in european football,bring some image,points,glory etc ,and other half considering that Premier League is more important and if in the end of the season, somehow, catch a Champions League place is perfect than to advance more in Europa League (not so important competition),Liverpool also leave this competition to focus on Premier League.
For me ,Europa League become interesting just if you like team will play the final with the trophy on the table,Last 32 round look obsolete,far away from the final...
so now is important Premier League for Spurs,focus 100% on this direction,full speed.

The game isn't about glory its about playing a weakened side and hoping to be eliminated from a tournament we'd struggle to win playing our strongest side in order to qualify for a competition we'd have even less fucking chance of winning.

Glory Glory..............

Thought Stambouli staked a claim last night to be played more in the league, definitely offers us something and he's got some nice skills when on the ball. Felt like he didn't break up play as much as he did in his first few appearances for us, but then I don't know what his instructions were.

Its a vicious fucking circle.

etc etc etc

Poch needs to tell Levy "If top 4 is your aim, I need to play reserves in the group stage of the EL next year and get out as soon as possible".

Fuck me. We never do well in the EL anyway. Jesus christ. There is no way Fiorentina are going to win it and they scored three goals against us!!

Sums it up, I have come very much round to your thinking on this, wouldn't mind next season if he played a load of kids in the competition, get them experience and save our main players.

Sums it up, I have come very much round to your thinking on this, wouldn't mind next season if he played a load of kids in the competition, get them experience and save our main players.

I agree. I would love to have won the EL. It's a great trophy to win. But I just think, for a squad like ours, it is a big ask to play so many games, win the CC and get into top 4.

Can anyone explain why the Tursday and Sunday matches result in poor peformances? I know the stats are there and look at Everton, tearing it up in Europa and doing nothing nothing in the prem?

I guess the exlanantion needs to correlate to the champs league of Wednesday-Saturday, where the same under performance does not seem to impact the champs league teams?

The Thursday-Sunday ratio has been with us for 5 years or so now, surely we should be used to it??

Can anyone explain why the Tursday and Sunday matches result in poor peformances? I know the stats are there and look at Everton, tearing it up in Europa and doing nothing nothing in the prem?

I guess the exlanantion needs to correlate to the champs league of Wednesday-Saturday, where the same under performance does not seem to impact the champs league teams?

The Thursday-Sunday ratio has been with us for 5 years or so now, surely we should be used to it??

I think its more the amount of games over the season, I believe we have played more games than any other prem team this season. You only have to look at how fresh Liverpool looked the season they had no European football. As to the Thursday-Sunday I have no idea why that pattern causes issues if it causes issues.

I would be happy to finish 7th this season if we won the League Cup, then next year free of European football we can really aim for a top 4 finish and hopefully go above the scum, the EL is quite frankly annoying.

Agree with that, I guess it shows how devalued the Europa League has become. We have played more games this season but then if we are to win trophies we have to learn to deal with that.

Agree about Liverpool last season, look at Man Utd this season, no european football, not playing that well, weak at the back and they are in the top 4..........

Agree with that, I guess it shows how devalued the Europa League has become. We have played more games this season but then if we are to win trophies we have to learn to deal with that.

Agree about Liverpool last season, look at Man Utd this season, no european football, not playing that well, weak at the back and they are in the top 4..........

I agree. IMO I think the top 4 will be Chavs, City, Scum and Liverpool. With us (unfortunately), Man U and Southhampton in the EL. Be interesting to see how LVG treats the EL. I bet he does the sensible thing and plays kids.

Can anyone explain why the Tursday and Sunday matches result in poor performances? I know the stats are there and look at Everton, tearing it up in Europa and doing nothing nothing in the prem?

I guess the explanation needs to correlate to the champ. league of Wednesday-Saturday, where the same under performance does not seem to impact the champ. league teams?

I don't think there's one single reason, and while there are only 2 days between games, that means there are 3 afterwards- Champions League has a similar gap, whether the match is on Tues or Weds.
Travel distances tend to be longer than CL, and perhaps the fact that the players are less bothered about it means their performance sub consciously drops, bringing them down for the next league match.

However, I think the main problem is that the English teams in the EL tend to be the second tier clubs, like ourselves and lower. They just don't have the strength in depth to excel in both the EL and League consistently. The teams in the CL tend to have deeper squads, so can cope better.

I would be happy to finish 7th this season if we won the League Cup, then next year free of European football we can really aim for a top 4 finish and hopefully go above the scum, the EL is quite frankly annoying.

The winners of league cup qualify for Europa. I think we're stuck with it for another season...

Back
Top Bottom