Fiorentina vs Tottenham 2nd Leg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Terrible draw
It's not that I fear Roma much, but in an international tournament I just would have loved to play... you know, an international side.

There's nothing wrong with being in Europa, we outplayed them for 2 games and made 3 horrendous mistakes, we have to sell the 4 deadwood and get 4 in Poch can genuinely use and we can have a rel crack at it, Poxh basically has 16 players he can rely on right now, not enough, next year they would have had a full year with him

There's nothing wrong with being in Europa, we outplayed them for 2 games and made 3 horrendous mistakes, we have to sell the 4 deadwood and get 4 in Poch can genuinely use and we can have a rel crack at it, Poxh basically has 16 players he can rely on right now, not enough, next year they would have had a full year with him

I'd probably argue outplayed them for the first half of each game, overall the performances weren't awful but my god our defending was comical and yes Levy should get hung by a lampost if we ever go into a season again with such bullshit back-up, our second string would struggle in League One.

Can anyone explain why the Tursday and Sunday matches result in poor peformances? I know the stats are there and look at Everton, tearing it up in Europa and doing nothing nothing in the prem?

I reckon a part of it is psychological. It's become received wisdom now that playing midweek in the Europa League fatigues you for the weekend - even when we've rotated the squad like crazy.
There is, however, an element of truth in it, and it cannot help that the Europa League will often send you to further afield than the Champions League generally does.
I do wonder whether players don't like having to play on Sundays so often. They may end up having other teams' Saturday results in mind when preparing for the match. Also, there's got to be a dip in the crowd's energy on a Sunday when compared to a Saturday 3pm kick off.

Having sobred up from last night, and feeling a bit more zen now, I agree with this. Looking at how little Poch wants to use the players outside of that core (I mean, Adebayor and Kaboul weren't even brought along to Italy for God's sake), we'd have had a very difficult job of going far in the Europa League simply because the squad depth (or at least consistency throughout the squad) isn't there.

Whatever the result on Sunday, we can just plug away at the League now and play our best possible team in each game. Doubt we'll see Soldado in a Spurs shirt (as a starter) more than a handful of times from now until summer.

Predictions for next season.

Pritchard will captain us to the League and Europa double.

Ryan Fredericks will become the English Lahm.

Kane will become so good, but keep his feet on the ground by opening a shelter for miss firing Spanish strikers to rehabilitate into normal life.

Dier's head will continue to grow, so much so that it has a small gravitational pull.

Walker completes his doctorate in molecular biology.

Rose and Lennon open a Tiger Tiger in Leeds.

Pochs's high pressing philosophy is taught in English Literature at GSCE level, replacing Of Mice and Men.

Chadli makes a £10mil switch to Southampton to be closer to the ocean.

Townsend improves his shooting substantially, instead of hitting row Z he now hits row X.

Lloris retires so that he can spend more time making love to Marine.

Chriches goes into rehab.

Archway Steel apologise to Spurs.

I'd probably argue outplayed them for the first half of each game, overall the performances weren't awful but my god our defending was comical and yes Levy should get hung by a lampost if we ever go into a season again with such bullshit back-up, our second string would struggle in League One.

Well everyone was calling for Fazio before game, I said any pace at all in a strike force and you have to play Dier, you have to

Chiriches as we know is a joke but the goals weren't exactly his fault

The players weren't there in January, it's all about August and Levy has to back him and I think will, Poch isn't the guy who will say I need this 60m striker anyway, as us and Man U have shown unless you have a decent philosophy, manager and system it's pointless spending any money at all, he will get the 4 he needs to round off squad and mean less reliance on the key players, will be interesting, this year was a bonus considering the state we were in when he took over

Well everyone was calling for Fazio before game, I said any pace at all in a strike force and you have to play Dier, you have to

Chiriches as we know is a joke but the goals weren't exactly his fault

The players weren't there in January, it's all about August and Levy has to back him and I think will, Poch isn't the guy who will say I need this 60m striker anyway, as us and Man U have shown unless you have a decent philosophy, manager and system it's pointless spending any money at all, he will get the 4 he needs to round off squad and mean less reliance on the key players, will be interesting, this year was a bonus considering the state we were in when he took over

Dier is class been saying his speed has been a game changer for us in many way, if you press high up the pitch you need a mobile defence, obviously he is still young but the way he handled the pace of Sturridge against Liverpool was top irrespective of the rest of our preformance that day. I can understand Fazio being prefered because of his experience but I feel safer with Dier (he'll most likely fuck up after me prasing him) as he can cover mistakes which Fazio and to some degree verts cannot.

In respect to the sqaud now is the time for Levy to really back a manager, Poch has been impressive for the most part but he needs to tools to do the job, this summer is going to be crucial for us as a club.

The fact that Fazio won the Europa League last season aside... was this a sacrifice to keep Dier fresh for Sunday? His mobility would be important on a pitch the size of Wembley.

My thinking was if you can play Bentelab and Eriksen, you can play Dier, I have absolutely no heat map or any of that BS but surely he does less running

Anyways I don't mind Fazio at all, was just a shame we couldn't have kept our two main CB's

Anyways the bigger point is next year that will be kaboul gone and Ried or someone else in, much better

My thinking was if you can play Bentelab and Eriksen, you can play Dier, I have absolutely no heat map or any of that BS but surely he does less running

Anyways I don't mind Fazio at all, was just a shame we couldn't have kept our two main CB's

Anyways the bigger point is next year that will be kaboul gone and Ried or someone else in, much better
Oh, absolutely. Really like Fazio, and he's a great guy to have as a CB option (particularly against slow teams whose game plan consists of cross, goalkick, cross, repeat), but you've gotta pick the most appropriate guy when you can. It is a tricky one, mind you. The form of the Fazio-Verts partnership has been great overall.

26 mill to not shoot when he's 1 on 1. baffling. from an aberdeen lad standing next to us last night "that's the sorta shite i'd expect to see from Aberdeen"

great trip apart from the whole getting my cock grabbed by some eager italian policeman 3 times getting searched, the whole football bit, and the getting held behind for an hour and a half

Can anyone explain why the Tursday and Sunday matches result in poor peformances? I know the stats are there and look at Everton, tearing it up in Europa and doing nothing nothing in the prem?

I guess the exlanantion needs to correlate to the champs league of Wednesday-Saturday, where the same under performance does not seem to impact the champs league teams?

The Thursday-Sunday ratio has been with us for 5 years or so now, surely we should be used to it??
If you think about it, if you play Thursday you will always play Sunday. So always two days rest only. Not to mention only one day of training with the league game in mind.

If you play in the CL, half your games are on Tuesday. That means three days rest. Also, because the CL teams are on Sky so often, a lot of their games following a Wednesday will be moved for Sky, to the Sunday (sometimes there are three games on a Sunday) or even the Monday. So even some of their Wednesday games end up allowing them a three or four day rest.

Also, I think the CL did impact us when we were in it, but the teams who tend to be in it have better squad players than we do, and more reserve/squad players who are happier to have that role as they are being paid shitloads, for example someone like Remy at Chelscum.

How comes the CL ties are played two weeks apart and Chavs get to play their 2nd leg after the Final.
Thursday nights and Sundays is bollocks that's what fucks everything up.
That and we ain't had any goals in us for a while.
Eriksen, Kane and Chadli are our only regular goalscorers.
Last year we only had two scoring from midfield also, Eriksen and Paulinho.
The midfield needs to start scoring more.
How many more times are we going to give away goals. Let's at least make them work for them.
When in doubt kick it out, Jan.
Also, that night Stambouli and Bentaleb needed to offer more in CM. It's not all on Eriksen to find the runs of the forwards and attacking mids.

I just hope Mitchell is looking for players that are comfortable with scoring an players that understand the concept of pass and move.
There is just not enough coming forward past Eriksen from Central midfield.
we are so easy to contain then.

Anyway, what's the odds that a CL drop out will be in the final? Complete squad drain the EL. Play it on Tuesdays and let EPL fixtures be on Sat and the CL play on Wednesdays and their EPL fixtures on Sunday or vice versa.
Also why not play the KO ties 3 weeks apart? We could have played Liverpool on the 10th, Fiorentina on the 17th, Spam on the 22nd and Fiorentina again after COC final. Chavs had had their EPL fixture at Leicester today cancelled due to COC final but we have to go to Italy on the 26th?
Oh no, the TV say we want to show more CL, so split the CL up over Tues and Wednes and let the EL play on Thursdays. They then do the EL KO ties a week apart and schedule the CL KO ties 3 weeks apart.
While we are at it, why not fuck off the CL teams entering it so they can have a 2nd bite?

No, I think the EL has been to the detriment of our league form for a while. The CL is scheduled differently.
Chavs: CL Wed / EPL Sun, Tues/Sun, Tues/Sun, Wed/Sat, Tues/Sat, Wed/Sat, and now Tues17th Feb/Wed 11th March. So only 2 times did the play the equivalent of a Thursday/Sunday afternoon. Same with Woolwich I believe.
However, when you're in it you have to try and win it. However, you'll need a decent squad!
Me, I love European nights but they have to sort out the fixtures and play one comp on a Tues and one on a Wednesday.
What it does it give the top teams more advantage giving them 3 to 4 days inc travel between the majority of their European and domestic fixtures whilst the EL teams get 2 inc travel end of.

When I hear " it's amazing how Chelsea have fielded a basically unchanged team this season" the rest periods are the answer.

Back
Top Bottom