First Choice Centre Back Partnership.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think right now that it is Toby and ?

The only clear thing we have with our CB situation is that Toby is clearly the best of the bunch. That Sanchez is the best option right now to pair with him but with the way he is performing so far this year that is a pretty poor option and mainly due to the other choices being unproven or shit, rather than Sanchez being great.

I actually think at this moment Davies would be my choice to pair with Toby. He isn't fast or strong or great at anything, but (at CB) he is steady. While the BS narrative that he gives you a 6/10 performance every time at LB is false, at CB I think that could be the case. With the errors that Dier and Sanchez constantly make the boring but safe play of Davies could be what we need as we use our attacking ability to control the ball and out score the opposition.

We need two new starting CB’s. Toby is five as the 3rd CB and a good option to play with a young guy in Europe/Cup matches. He can fill in for injuries/rest for the starters as well. Dier and Sanchez are not good enough. They need to be replaced.

Hopefully the new guys are able to play with the ball and not brought in to provide “hardness” or attitude.

Good thread.

Toby is a must and should always play on the right, which is something Jose already understood - against West Ham, Sanchez played on the left and Toby on the right (for the first time in his regime). In short, Toby as a RCB is the only top CB we got.

For those worried about his lack of pace, it´s important to notice that our FB's are playing much better without the ball. It's something I saw in Doherty last Thursday - when necessary, he played really close to Sanchez on the right, and showed very good timing defending together with the two CB's. Doherty and Reguilón played on Thursday, Doherty and Davies played yesterday. We didn't switch to asymmetrical FB's, though. Both FB's attacked - and basically, they covered each other without the ball. If Davies was high up the pitch and we lost possession, Doherty defended inside together with the two CB's, making a 3 vs 2 against their strikers; when Davies got back, Doherty returned to the right to close his side. And vice-versa. In other words, our CB's don't need to cover that much space.

(By the way, I can't help but thinking what a signing Skriniar would have been for us. He would play as a LCB, like in his best days in Italy, next to Toby).

To play next to Toby we got Dier, Rodon, Sanchez, Tanganga - and Ben Davies. It´s a shame Rodon can´t play in the Europa League group stages, because the truth is that I (and I think most of us) don´t really know how good he can be. We all know Dier and Sanchez have their (many) issues. Tanganga is still very young (and I think his best position is RCB).

Being pragmatic, at the moment we are stillI one position short (LCB) of being a top team - a "title winning team", or whatever you want to call it. I think Jose has an obvious faith in Eric Dier, though he will try all the available options - and in the end the team will pick itself.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll have a first choice per se as it'll change based on opponents attacking strengths. I think if we have ambition to win major trophies then Sanchez and Dier are not good enough to be playing regularly, which is sad to say but unfortunately true. Hopefully between Toby, Rodon and Tanganga we can find a solid partnership for this season and beyond.

For now Toby and Dier. I’d hope to see Rodon take over though quickly, he is an actual left Centre back and looks like an absolutely beast in the air. That’s if he can handle the prem intensity.

With Rodon not registered for Europa we cannot introduce him gradually and so it is throw him in like Tanganga or he waits for an injury opening. Whilst Davies played well at Cb, it leaves no rotation at LB. Sanchez is not suited when we play strong CF's. I would Play Sanchez in Europa and Toby this week but if we are to throw Rodon into the PL team it has to be at home and maybe Brighton is the match. Toby/Dier is our strongest duo but until Tanganga is fit one will have to play Europa.

Best partnership will depend on who we play against and who we have available at the time. Toby&Dier for the more physical but slower opponents. We don’t have a choice at the moment but to play Sanchez for opponents who have pace.

Best partnership will depend on who we play against and who we have available at the time. Toby&Dier for the more physical but slower opponents. We don’t have a choice at the moment but to play Sanchez for opponents who have pace.

Sanchez is fine if the CB next to him is commanding and confident but since Verts left we have no natural LCB other than Rodon. Like Mousa Dembele Verts was an unbelievable talented player and his decline and departure has left a hole in the team.

Sanchez is fine if the CB next to him is commanding and confident but since Verts left we have no natural LCB other than Rodon. Like Mousa Dembele Verts was an unbelievable talented player and his decline and departure has left a hole in the team.

Sanchez plays better with a steady influence next to him. Unfortunately, Toby is not quick enough nowadays. So, with pacy opponents, we don’t have an option but to play Sanchez&Dier. We will see about Rodon and how he adapts to our needs.

There's no first choice partnership, it depends on the opposition and number of games etc.

Last night it was Dier (who I thought was a bit dodge) and Toby (who I thought did well) as we were playing Burnley and their big but not mobile strikers.

I fully expect Sanchez in against quicker, shorter strikers, Rodon and Tanganga may be further down the pecking order but will get games due to injury and fixture congestion, Davies too.

Squad game but people love talking in absolutes as it fits the psychological need for lists, pecking orders, favourites etc.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Toby and Davies, I think that’d be a good partnership unless we’re playing a side with a dominant aerial presence at striker.

Toby and Eric.
Along with 99% of the people on this site I have never seen or can't remember seeing Rodon play. But Jose wanted him and slung him on v Burnley so that is good enough recommendation for me.
Can't wait for Tanganga to be 100%.
Sanchez is OK for the EL but he is not very good.

I think Rodon must watch our recent games and fancy making himself a first choice starter pretty quickly. I’ve not seen him play but so long as he is competent he is already ahead of all but Toby.

Davies at CB is a better option that Sanchez and Dier as well potentially.

I am not sure why people prefer Dier over Toby against faster players. Yes Toby struggles with speed but it isn't like Dier is fast enough to handle them well and his weaknesses everywhere else are a much bigger issue than any supposed advantage he has speed wise.

Plus he is much more clumsy than Toby so will get burned by the faster player in the box much more often resulting in more opportunities for Penalties.

There is no situation in which Dier should be starting over Toby.

I think Toby and Dier are our best atm.

However, they both lack pace and Toby's knocking on a bit.
Rodon is too earl to say, but I would definitely be looking to buy two CBs in the next 2 windows.
I can see us going back in for skriniar in January, levy will probably get a good deal for 1/2 out the door as well.

Back
Top Bottom