Football Finance Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Forecasts 18/19

Woolwich - £29m LOSS

Aston Villa - £14m LOSS

Bournemouth - £29.8m LOSS

Brighton - £13.4m LOSS

Chelsea - £34m PROFIT

West Ham - £22.4m LOSS

Leicester - £8.1m LOSS

Norwich - £37.8m LOSS

Southampton - £35.1m LOSS

Liverpool - £36.2m PROFIT

Wolves - £37m PROFIT

Watford - £13.9m PROFIT

Burnley - £11.1m PROFIT

Sheffield United - £4.3m LOSS

Crystal Palace - £39.2m LOSS

Man United - £27.1m PROFIT

Everton - £108.6m LOSS

Newcastle United - £45.9m PROFIT

Man City - £52.8m PROFIT

Tottenham Hotspur - £150m PROFIT

Forecasts 18/19

Woolwich - £29m LOSS

Aston Villa - £14m LOSS

Bournemouth - £29.8m LOSS

Brighton - £13.4m LOSS

Chelsea - £34m PROFIT

West Ham - £22.4m LOSS

Leicester - £8.1m LOSS

Norwich - £37.8m LOSS

Southampton - £35.1m LOSS

Liverpool - £36.2m PROFIT

Wolves - £37m PROFIT

Watford - £13.9m PROFIT

Burnley - £11.1m PROFIT

Sheffield United - £4.3m LOSS

Crystal Palace - £39.2m LOSS

Man United - £27.1m PROFIT

Everton - £108.6m LOSS

Newcastle United - £45.9m PROFIT

Man City - £52.8m PROFIT

Tottenham Hotspur - £150m PROFIT

A bit more than half of this is due to our run to the CL final.

Not sure what assumption has been made in the estimate for wage increases - I'm pretty sure that there will be some (especially with Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon joining but only Trippier as an outgoing) plus bonuses for getting to CL final, and the CL bonus may well be pretty significant.

On the upside though, food and drink sales figures seemed to be over £1m per event and given NFL match attendances you'd expect not only the F & B revenues but very healthy merchandise and ticket sales (basic deal seems to have been to rent stadium to NFL but keep ticket money and everything else - great deal for us). Hopefully the same for the rugby match in spring.

The unknowns will include revenues from 'Conferences/exhibitions' (Spurs apparently have the 3rd largest venue in London) and we've seen quite a few such events, but impossible to guess what say the 'Plumbing and Heating Show' brought in (including F & B sales). Additionally I think we have permission for about 25 non football events, and again impossible to guess what these might bring in - although the first big test could come in summer 2020 (summer 2019 was possibly too close to stadium opening to get too many events in) which of course will be accounted for in the next year (ie Y/E 30 June 2021).

Converting the debt into bonds may well by itself save £10m - £20m, a nice added extra.

But all the evidence is that we should be topping last years profits (itself a world record).

Think our bigger problem in the next 12 months will be to identify and buy suitable players : its not that the money isn't there or we are not willing to spend, but its difficult to get players in who are also being wooed by competitors such as ManCity, Liverpool, Chelsea, Woolwich, ManU, Real, Barclona, Atletico Madrid, Bayern Munich, Juventus et al.

deloitte-uk-football-money-infographic-20.jpg

EOY1PEzX0AAMBcz

Woolwich have their Addidas shirt deal to add onto this number for (this season), whilst we will expect to post +£100m for match day (I haven't attended a game where I've not spent £20 yet! Am I the only one? I think this is quite a typical number from what I've witnessed) for our first full season in the new stadium. WIth Shirt sleeve, naming rights and events at the stadium still to be added it's incredible that we have a posted a higher commercial revenue than this lot!

I do wonder if other clubs will follow suit...or if we managed to wrangle planning and licensing permissions that they dont have...

Saracens would be the rugby equivalent of Chelsea. Got docked 70 (seventy) points!! Relegated at the end of this season for breaking financial fair play rules. If rugby can do it ...

Add this to the -36M posted from 17/18 and it's not looking rosy for Villa and FFP surely?

Clever accounting manipulation, they were right on the edge of the three year EFL 39m permitted loss, they carried forward a few items which probably should have been in their promotion year loses, 30m to Lerner, 15.8m player bonuses which they offset with the sale of Villa Park 30.6m to NSWE (Egyptian money) and 14.2m from the HS2 fund as it will run through their training ground ....

All a bit dodgy and very convenient, they now join the FFP rules for the EPL which allow £105m losses over three years, seems they've managed most of that in year one .... if they go down they start again with the EFL rules, that might be their best option.

Clever accounting manipulation, they were right on the edge of the three year EFL 39m permitted loss, they carried forward a few items which probably should have been in their promotion year loses, 30m to Lerner, 15.8m player bonuses which they offset with the sale of Villa Park 30.6m to NSWE (Egyptian money) and 14.2m from the HS2 fund as it will run through their training ground ....

All a bit dodgy and very convenient, they now join the FFP rules for the EPL which allow £105m losses over three years, seems they've managed most of that in year one .... if they go down they start again with the EFL rules, that might be their best option.

If I was the EFL I might re-open (or open) an investigation into Villa's promotion year to see what additional costs should have been accounted for.

Still not sure that investigation isn't still running due to the sale of the stadium to the owners......

It would be temporary.

These very well paid individuals can make themselves heroes or really set themselves up as villains.

It should be a no brainer with some players even more able to make forfeits than others.

Rooney is making a stand and that is to his credit but he should really shut the fcuk up.

Back
Top Bottom