Football programmes

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I haven't bought a match programme for myself in decades, but my kids want one (each, if I take more than one of them) for every game they attend, just as I used to want one when I was a kid. I still have my first - 24th April '76 against Newcastle. We lost 0-3 - Malcolm MacDonald with a hat trick.

I'd be sad to see them go.

Mixed feelings here really I’ve always been a soft touch for a programme every since a kid going to games always viewed them as a souvenir of a day out,as I got older would then complete a season by sending away for away programmes or home games I’d missed (sad,I know) but have on numerous occasions wondered,why bother? They just lye in box and never get looked at again and if like a lot of the bigger clubs us for example if you play the goons,chavs etc every season what is there left to say in them that’s not already been said? Quite honest most of the modern programme are full of advertising anyway very little football content! I’ve got quite a lot of Tottenham 60/61 season programmes just a double sheet of paper but it’s just about football...yes I know advertising it’s about money,unfortunately! I didn’t know there was a rule that clubs had to produce a programme? Sorry about the waffle but no would always like to see them on the go....

I used to religiously collect them when I was a kid and still cherish some of the old ones from my early days. But, I haven't bought one for years as they are now so full of advertising and corporate patting-yourselves-on-the-back bollocks. Still think they should remain though.
I really miss fanzines more however.
They were talking about this on TalkShite. Loved the story of the avid programme collector who always carried a self-addressed envelope in case he went on the piss after a game - that way he could post it to himself and not risk losing it! Ingenious.

Buying a programme is part of my match day ritual, I would post a photo but I have literally thousands of them ! I would have nothing to collect if the match day programme were no more !
Still buying them, then! :)
I stopped buying them in the 1990s as didn't have the room to keep them and silly money now. I managed to get hold of the programme of the first game I went to on eBay -one and only time I've used it. Cost me £1, original cost a tanner -two and a half pence in today's money.
I did buy one for the Finale and got all my friends to sign it.
I think it will be a shame to get rid of them altogether. If there is a market for them, why take the option away from them?

I haven't bought a match programme for myself in decades, but my kids want one (each, if I take more than one of them) for every game they attend, just as I used to want one when I was a kid. I still have my first - 24th April '76 against Newcastle. We lost 0-3 - Malcolm MacDonald with a hat trick.

I'd be sad to see them go.
Mate I was at the game too!! Think it was my first, but I can't be 100% sure, night game midweek right??? You don't know what you have done as I have been aimlessly trying to recall my first few games at the Lane but had no luck. Did we also get tonked 0-6 by them and he scored a hat trick roughly same time period give or take a year or so? If not then you've just nailed the game I've been trying to recall, CHEERS!
Back to programmes, I had all my first programmes, had one for that game too, however when I was about 10 I faked the players signatures and wrote all over the fucking, looked shit so I binned them, hence I didn't have any reference points to help with the memory as to what the hell was my first game, which is really annoying and a regret.

Over all, I haven't bought a programme for decades, used to get them free with each match when I was an executive member but used to give them away to a kid who I could see didn't have one. Never read them, all the content is the same that's on social media and on the website. Plus they are a £5 aren't they?

My dad has libraries of them and they are all worthless.

In other news: if anybody wants to buy Aldershort or Scunthorpe match Programmes of the entire 83/4 84/5 or barnet 88/9 or torquay utd 84/5 DM me

I don't bother buying them now but found a few oldies in the back of a cupboard recently. They had all been folded in half lengthwise and shoved in a back pocket at some time. Star of the show was one from Bill Nicholson's testimonial against West Ham which still is still giving off a vague aroma of glory.

Mate I was at the game too!! Think it was my first, but I can't be 100% sure, night game midweek right??? You don't know what you have done as I have been aimlessly trying to recall my first few games at the Lane but had no luck. Did we also get tonked 0-6 by them and he scored a hat trick roughly same time period give or take a year or so? If not then you've just nailed the game I've been trying to recall, CHEERS!
It would be fantastic if it was the first game for both of us but, unfortunately, I fear it may not have been. I was pretty sure it was a Saturday game (in an age where pretty much all league games were 3pm KOs). I just checked and it was.

Tottenham Hotspur - Newcastle United 0:3 (Premier League 1975/1976, 42. Round)

If this isn't the one you saw first, maybe that site can jog your memory? According to the head to head history, there's no game between us and Newcastle that ended 6-0 or anything like it, but big scores from the same season include a 0-4 defeat to Liverpool, a 5-2 win over Villa, a 5-0 win over Sheffield United, a 4-1 win over Coventry (all in the old 1st Division); and a 7-2 win over Doncaster (in the League Cup).

The only 6-0 scoreline I found in the few years around the '75/'76 season were victories against Lyn Oslo (UEFA Cup) and Margate (FA Cup), both from the '72/'73 season. Is it possible you're thinking of one of these?

It would be fantastic if it was the first game for both of us but, unfortunately, I fear it may not have been. I was pretty sure it was a Saturday game (in an age where pretty much all league games were 3pm KOs). I just checked and it was.

Tottenham Hotspur - Newcastle United 0:3 (Premier League 1975/1976, 42. Round)

If this isn't the one you saw first, maybe that site can jog your memory? According to the head to head history, there's no game between us and Newcastle that ended 6-0 or anything like it, but big scores from the same season include a 0-4 defeat to Liverpool, a 5-2 win over Villa, a 5-0 win over Sheffield United, a 4-1 win over Coventry (all in the old 1st Division); and a 7-2 win over Doncaster (in the League Cup).

The only 6-0 scoreline I found in the few years around the '75/'76 season were victories against Lyn Oslo (UEFA Cup) and Margate (FA Cup), both from the '72/'73 season. Is it possible you're thinking of one of these?
Thanks mate. Yeah I attempted this a while back and confused myself even more lol. So, so frustrating that I binned the programmes as they would have almost certainly confirmed my first game. And I've now just confused myself even more now!! I just think I've mixed up a number of memories from different games.

I do know with absolute certainty it was a midweek night game, as were all my early Spurs games, was ages before I went to a League game on a Sat.

Doing some more digging it's probably this game: 14.01.76 League Cup Semi-Final first leg. 1-0
Spurs grabbed the initiative at the half-way stage of this League Cup semi-final after the first leg 1-0 win.

A single strike from John Pratt gave Tottenham the win, but an inspired display in goal from Pat Jennings kept Newcastle at bay as they pushed forward to gain an equaliser. Referee Clive Thomas played a good advantage when defender Geoff Nulty stopped John Duncan's header from Terry Naylor's cross from going in with his arm. The match official let play continue and Pratt seized the loose ball to crack home a fierce shot.

The last half hour was a backs-to-the-wall effort by Tottenham, as Newcastle pushed for an equaliser, but Jennings saved everything which was thrown at him, producing a stunning save from a drive from Tommy Craig which saw him arch backward to punch the dipping shot away for a corner.

Spurs - Jennings, McAllister, Naylor, Osgood, Young, Perryman (c), Coates, Neighbour, Pratt, Chivers, Duncan.
Unused Sub. : -
Newcastle United - Mick Mahoney, Irving Nattrass, Pat Howard, Glenn Keeley, Alan Kennedy, Tommy Craig, Geoff Nulty, Alan Gowling, Micky Burns, Malcolm MacDonald
Ref : - Clive Thomas (Treorchy)
Crowd : - 40,215

Goal time
First goal – 31m 33s

They beat us in the 2nd leg and went to the final.
malcolm-macdonald-challenges-keith-osgood-of-spurs-during-the-1976-picture-id517984204

Used to think super Mac was incredible, then the cunt went to Woolwich. Spooky we both have memories of him scoring a hat trick when he didn't!!

Love our run out onto the pitch in the vid, does anyone recall if we always did that back then, or was it just because it was a semi-final?

Used to be decent but pretty much overpriced shite full of adverts now , I prefer the content I find on the internet these days (not that content) and don't really see why it needs to be forced on clubs to produce them.

Spooky we both have memories of him scoring a hat trick when he didn't!!
I know, odd right? And, I continued to 'know' this, right up until I read your comment above! :eek:
Doing some more digging it's probably this game: 14.01.76 League Cup Semi-Final first leg. 1-0
Spurs grabbed the initiative at the half-way stage of this League Cup semi-final after the first leg 1-0 win.

A single strike from John Pratt gave Tottenham the win, but an inspired display in goal from Pat Jennings kept Newcastle at bay as they pushed forward to gain an equaliser. Referee Clive Thomas played a good advantage when defender Geoff Nulty stopped John Duncan's header from Terry Naylor's cross from going in with his arm. The match official let play continue and Pratt seized the loose ball to crack home a fierce shot.

The last half hour was a backs-to-the-wall effort by Tottenham, as Newcastle pushed for an equaliser, but Jennings saved everything which was thrown at him, producing a stunning save from a drive from Tommy Craig which saw him arch backward to punch the dipping shot away for a corner.

Spurs - Jennings, McAllister, Naylor, Osgood, Young, Perryman (c), Coates, Neighbour, Pratt, Chivers, Duncan.
Newcastle United - Mick Mahoney, Irving Nattrass, Pat Howard, Glenn Keeley, Alan Kennedy, Tommy Craig, Geoff Nulty, Alan Gowling, Micky Burns, Malcolm MacDonald
Ref : - Clive Thomas (Treorchy)
Crowd : - 40,215

Goal time
First goal – 31m 33s

Great video - really enjoyed watching that again! Craig really got hold of that shot, didn't he? Must have stung like a bastard - strange to see both keepers without gloves. And, seeing Chivers' long throw-ins again made me wonder what the record is. Turns out to be ~51m, though it was a staged world record attempt rather than in-game.

I also think Megan Campbell deserves an honourable mention.

I know, odd right? And, I continued to 'know' this, right up until I read your comment above! :eek:

Great video - really enjoyed watching that again! Craig really got hold of that shot, didn't he? Must have stung like a bastard - strange to see both keepers without gloves. And, seeing Chivers' long throw-ins again made me wonder what the record is. Turns out to be ~51m, though it was a staged world record attempt rather than in-game.

I also think Megan Campbell deserves an honourable mention.

I used to take some of my throw-ins like that as a kid, until the day my hand slipped off a wet ball and I was made to look an absolute tit.

Don't think it's a bad idea to get rid of a law stating that the club has to produce them. I'm sure the clubs will figure out if there is a market for them or not and act accordingly.

They are like a football version of the argos catalogue , full of ads mostly for overpriced tat in the club shop

I couldn't find my chisels today, so I was rampaging through the mess that I call a garage.

I took a box of old CD's down from a shelf and found half a dozen matchday programmes that I'd been bought as a small boy (saved from when we cleared my old Dad's house).

They represent some of the first Spurs games my Dad took me to (with my massive blue & white wooden rattle). I can't remember a thing about the games, but it seems that I went to some interesting ones!...

VuN2qQ6.jpg

If you're taking your child to a match, make sure you get them a programme. In sixty years time they'll rediscover it and it will make them feel good!

Was‘nt going to bother with them this season but my sub over ran from last season so reeled in again but in saying that our home programmes this season are far better more compact less advertising and more football content.....:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom