Football terms to retire

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Doesn't the origin of this term go back to when Hungary thrashed England in the 50's with their No. 9 not playing as a striker and Billy wright and the other defenders not knowing who to mark?

I may just have made that up though.

The origin goes way back the 1930s.

Doesn't the origin of this term go back to when Hungary thrashed England in the 50's with their No. 9 not playing as a striker and Billy wright and the other defenders not knowing who to mark?

I may just have made that up though.

Playmaker is the correct term

Surely, it was big 4 because Chelsea, Man Utd, Woolwich and Liverpool WERE the big 4 clubs.

You had Liverpool and Man Utd, two of the most successful teams in history and then Chelsea and Woolwich who by Premier League standards were big clubs at the time. Chelsea were winning titles and domestic trophies and Woolwich had won league titles and competed.

It only turned big 6 when ourselves and Man City started rising to finish 4th (and above) and compete.

It wasn't because those teams finished outside the top 4 at all. Because at times when they did, the likes of Newcastle and Aston Villa had finished in that top 6 and never got called it - because they weren't clubs stable enough to keep it up.

Big 6 is actually a term used to describe 6 of the best teams in the Premier League on either size, history and revenue.

That won't change until Woolwich continuously fall out of that top 6.
In 1990 the term "The Big Five" was coined by Greg Dyke when he held talks when major steps were taken in its formation occurring in October 1990, when as the managing director of London Weekend Television (LWT) he met with the representatives of the "big five" clubs - David Dein of Woolwich, Philip Carter of Everton, Noel White of Liverpool, Martin Edwards of Manchester United and Irving Scholar of Tottenham Hotspur.

Think it's stuck ever since, but has been expanded to follow the demise of Everton, (and Spurs for the first 20yrs of PL) and the inclusion of City & Chavs.

Super Sunday

giphy.gif

Basically this...............

"must win".

Because I guess if you don't say it, it's acceptable for the team to lose? If you do say it and your team lose do they still get to play again or are they evaporated into nothing and no longer exist as a club.

"must win".

Because I guess if you don't say it, it's acceptable for the team to lose? If you do say it and your team lose do they still get to play again or are they evaporated into nothing and no longer exist as a club.
I was about to post that. If you don't win a must win game then the next game is ... a really must win game I guess.

False 9 pisses me off, it’s just a centre forward that plays a bit deeper. Sheringham did it for 20 years without it having a poxy name
This.
Also, when commentators used to compliment Sheringham's football brain.
What they actually meant was, he is as slow as fuck but is good at second guessing the opposition.

Which he was to be fair.

Nervous Poo time.

This isn't exclusive to Match day. I've already started in preparation for tomorrow's game.:mourcry:

“Your Man United's, your Chelsea's…” or “Your Lampard's, Your Gerrad's…”

"That was a wonderful cross, it was a shame no one got on the end of it"
:mourwhat:

"war chest"

"A wet Tuesday night in......................"

Back
Top Bottom