Football too important?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"Somebody said that football's a matter of life and death to you, I said 'listen, it's more important than that'."

Ironically, the most famous footballing quote, from a manager of .............

We live in the midst of scum. No getting away from it.

"Somebody said that football's a matter of life and death to you, I said 'listen, it's more important than that'."

Ironically, the most famous footballing quote, from a manager of .............

We live in the midst of scum. No getting away from it.
Shankly said it and was very quick to say he was only kidding

This pandemic should have highlighted what is really important in life (and it has for most sensible people) - health, family, an income to maintain a home and food on the table. The rest is 'nice to have' and what makes life "interesting", for want of a better word. I miss going to football, holidays and concerts, but I have survived it, and count my blessings accordingly.
These idiots who make this level of threats, hiding behind a keyboard, should be prosecuted and the likes of Twitter should take some of the responsibility of allowing these people to use their services as a platform to spread their poison.

Twitter is the answer here, probably the likes of AFTV too, just reacting normally or with some perspective is not enough to grab attention.

As much as I hate mentioning it, a certain Judas got some pretty similar threats made to him. It's not just for a very bad foul but it is worth looking at the situation with some context.

I've for a long time had the opinion that a lot of football fans need interests outside of the game. It's tribalism gone too far and some people put way too much energy into if their team wins or signs the player they want to or not. And if they lose or don't sign the player in question it is the fucking end of the world. Hell, we're not better on here at times.

Being a football fan is a perfectly fine part of an identity, but it shouldn't be the only part of ones identity. That's how we end up with players getting death threats for tackles.

I've for a long time had the opinion that a lot of football fans need interests outside of the game. It's tribalism gone too far and some people put way too much energy into if their team wins or signs the player they want to or not. And if they lose or don't sign the player in question it is the fucking end of the world. Hell, we're not better on here at times.

Being a football fan is a perfectly fine part of an identity, but it shouldn't be the only part of ones identity. That's how we end up with players getting death threats for tackles.

I agree with a lot of this and even wrote something about perspectives that the fighting cock were kind enough to publish..

https://thefightingcock.co.uk/2020/09/notes-on-stoicism/

Back
Top Bottom