Footballers or other sports stars you've met who left a bad impression

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Stuart MacGill - met him last year in a pub in Sydney. Brilliant bloke, had a beer and a bit of banter about Shane Warne's hair loss.

Brendon McCullum - coached my cricket team once because he was my best friend at the time's uncle. I remember him bollocking my mate for being a little shit, but he deserved it. Very impressed he took the time out to help and seemed like a nice, down to earth guy.

Didn’t he used to write in Sounds magazine ? Sure I remember that from my younger days - big Charlton fan isn’t he ?
Correct on both accounts
Sounds was superb.Featured bands i loved when none of the other music papers did.All run from above Covent garden station...Or the White Lion pub more often than not :)

My old man broke his back in the early 80s. Spent around 4 months in a spinal unit near Salisbury.

Jimmy Saville came to visit a few months in. Did the rounds around the different wards. The cigar muncher walked into my Dad’s ward that was clearly signed ‘spinal unit’ and shouted ‘Don’t bother standing up you lazy fuckers!’ then went round the beds handing cigars out and lighting them up. Spent an hour talking about random stuff, trying to make them laugh and take their minds off of things.

Dad said that his agent/assistant or whoever he was kept trying to move him onto the next ward - Saville kept sticking his fingers up at him and told him to pipe down. A lot of the lads in the room would never walk again and had just come off the back of serious accidents, most of them motorbike accidents. Amongst all the sadness and pain a bit of dark humour lit them all up for a bit.

Just goes to show. Even the most evil cunts in this world can have good in them.
What the fuck - did someone just post a pro-Savile story?! For to love TFC

Met alot of footballers and most have been legend's. Met Darren Anderton in a fancy dress shop and he was very rude. Refused to shake my hand and came across as a wanker. Maybe he was having a bad day!

Correct on both accounts
Sounds was superb.Featured bands i loved when none of the other music papers did.All run from above Covent garden station...Or the White Lion pub more often than not :)
I got Sounds every week, I actually delivered it to my house on my paper round, had it half read by the time I had finished 😆
Loved it, happy days. Much better than Smash Hits 😡 that was just like a glossy magazine version for all the TOTP teenyboppers

I got Sounds every week, I actually delivered it to my house on my paper round, had it half read by the time I had finished 😆
Loved it, happy days. Much better than Smash Hits 😡 that was just like a glossy magazine version for all the TOTP teenyboppers
If smash hits had photos of Beki Bondage in, like sounds did,I may have bought that as well :)

Jennings, Mullery, Chivers, Perryman, Peters and a few others (+ hanging out after games to get autographs when I was younger) all seemed nice, but don't recall ever meeting any players in a non-paid/hospitality capacity... Can't think of any other sport stars either.

Met a bunch of DJ-types over the years, who are usually pretty gracious when you're the one paying them.

Most rock-stars I've seen in public (Chris Cornell, Lars Ulrich) and approached just had their 'don't bother me now' head on... Big up Mike Muir from Suicidal Tendencies as he was at least extremely respectful when doing so.

Generally, I've just learned to leave 'celebs' alone when in public, and similarly never been one to particularly crave such interaction anyway.

I met Roger Lloyd-Pack once who was super nice tho'.

Last edited:
Met quite a few and played footy with a few and shared flats with some (mainly Gooners) when I was younger, so guess that doesn't count so much. Those that I've met in the street or at games all have been class.

But as bellends go they didn't come much bigger than Graham Roberts. I was playing for Enfield when he got appointed as Manager, never met someone so rude, arrogant and on top of that so utterly thick in all my life. Everybody hated him from the second he rocked up. He never turned up for training, pre-match and half time team talks consisted of nothing but shouting at everyone. He completely took the piss out of the club and imparticular those that worked there, many for nothing or on YTS. Absolute cunt, there was a party held when he left.

Never meet your heroes.

Saw van der Vaart on Saturday gave him a wave as he was going into the West Stand entrance and he came back out to shake my hand. Didn't expect that!

Yep, also Beki &the bombshells and Ligatage
I remember when she was in Vice Squad someone wrote a review of an album or a gig and slagged her off basically saying she led a double life being in VC but her day job was some sort of tax office/civil service job making her a hypocrite and “middle class”...🙄

Not really interested in meeting or talking to celebrities or ex/current footballers.

Met quite a few Spurs players in the White Hart after away games in the late 70s and they grudgingly gave us the time of day. Fair enough.

Paul Miller in the members bar (portakabin) at the old ground and he made a token gesture to say something. Not a good impression.

A few others along the way.

A mate of mine met Dean Saunders on holiday and said he was very nice and another met Danny Murphy and said the same.

But generally I find them boring, arrogant and out of touch.

I remember when she was in Vice Squad someone wrote a review of an album or a gig and slagged her off basically saying she led a double life being in VC but her day job was some sort of tax office/civil service job making her a hypocrite and “middle class”...🙄
Vice Squad were ahead of their time in a way, very into animal welfare and the environment when those were not really things.

Not really interested in meeting or talking to celebrities or ex/current footballers.

Met quite a few Spurs players in the White Hart after away games in the late 70s and they grudgingly gave us the time of day. Fair enough.

Paul Miller in the members bar (portakabin) at the old ground and he made a token gesture to say something. Not a good impression.

A few others along the way.

A mate of mine met Dean Saunders on holiday and said he was very nice and another met Danny Murphy and said the same.

But generally I find them boring, arrogant and out of touch.
Did you ever go in the members bar,what was it like in side? Considering it was a portakabin

Did you ever go in the members bar,what was it like in side? Considering it was a portakabin

I went in a couple of times. Really nothing special in terms of atmosphere obviously but seemed easy to get a beer and obviously seconds away from the stadium. I thought it was alright although convinced the staff there were on the take as I got short changed twice. Those crazy cash days hey.

Curious if any of you have met any footballers (or maybe even other sports stars?) who left a bad impression (i.e were arrogant, rude etc). I'd love to kick things off but the one or two players who I've been lucky enough to get an autograph from have been nothing but nice (Klinnsmann in particular was a top bloke).

EDIT: Spoke to Robert Earnshaw over the phone a few times when I was in property management (he had a few properties in Cardiff). He was an arrogant, rude prick. Didn't like him at all.
Did you threaten to end him CG!!!

Gut him like a pig ?

I fuckin hope so This better not be a double hard internet persona

Back
Top Bottom