Found this gem while browsing youtube

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WHL was quite touristy the season after Italia 90.
I was standing on the Paxton as a Junior Spur for our home games during that Cup run, great memories.
Wonder how much my ticket cost compared to today.

That was 2 months before my Dad first took me to WHL.

Gascoigne and Lineker. Pay on the day to get onto a terrace. Magic.

I think it was £4 juniors and £8 adults (as non-members) at the time.... was a bit cheaper if you were a member.

Became a member the season after I think and even when the Paxton became all seater (92/3 ??) I have league ticket stubs for £5 junior and my Dads is £10 adult.

I have a season ticket book for the old enclosure for season 1978/1979 somewhere and it was £18 for 21 games!!
The enclosure for all you young things was a standing terrace in front of the old west stand seats. It was where the hardcore Spurs thugs used to go, mostly down by the park lane to intimidate any away fans silly enough to have come down. The noise we used to make in those days will never be beaten. I am a firm believer that when we are doing well the crowd go a bit quiet but we as fans are at our best when the team are shit. Exceptions are the second division campaign of 77/78 and the champions league turnout. Last season was one of the worst for moaning and a real lack of atmosphere which at times was so awful it was unbearale,which bears out my point as we got a record haul of points!!. I remember a friendly in 77 against Royal Antwerp at WHL and there were less than 10,000 inside the ground but the noise was staggering! It can be done as you chaps have so brilliantly proved of late. THFC

I have a season ticket book for the old enclosure for season 1978/1979 somewhere and it was £18 for 21 games!!
The enclosure for all you young things was a standing terrace in front of the old west stand seats. It was where the hardcore Spurs thugs used to go, mostly down by the park lane to intimidate any away fans silly enough to have come down. The noise we used to make in those days will never be beaten. I am a firm believer that when we are doing well the crowd go a bit quiet but we as fans are at our best when the team are shit. Exceptions are the second division campaign of 77/78 and the champions league turnout. Last season was one of the worst for moaning and a real lack of atmosphere which at times was so awful it was unbearale,which bears out my point as we got a record haul of points!!. I remember a friendly in 77 against Royal Antwerp at WHL and there were less than 10,000 inside the ground but the noise was staggering! It can be done as you chaps have so brilliantly proved of late. THFC

i've noticed that, the atmosphere seems to be dropping at the lane, the better we do, wish i could of experienced the terraces to be honest and the proer noise of an old WHL

WHL was quite touristy the season after Italia 90.
I was standing on the Paxton as a Junior Spur for our home games during that Cup run, great memories.

Good call, I remember the 'atmosphere' changing around then.... in fact, it was only 'cos we were shit around 1993/4 onwards that most of the post-Italia '90 glory supporters started tailing off (no doubt to start supporting Chelsea who were starting their little upwards journey!)

It's no co-incidence that successful teams attract 'fans' that might not necessarily have supported that club in the past....
Just look at what's happening to Man City (and of course Chelsea) who saw either of them attracting 'glory hunters' in the '80s???

Terrible first half, much better once Vinnie Sideways came on. For all of his faults, he could pick a pass, and made himself available.

Erik - 6. No chance with the goal. Worth seeing the goal, by the way. It is in about the 38th minute.

VdH - 5. Looked frightened of the ball.
Sedge - 8. MotM. For a midfielder, a surprisingly good CB.
Mabbs - 6. I saw him miss a tackle. First time I have ever seen him miss one.
Edinburgh - 5. Showed some determination second half, but neither FB offered anything going forward.

Best thing you can say about the defence is it played the offside trap well.

Allen - 6. Tireless, as usual. Couple of nice runs but largely peripheral.
Thomas (M) - 5. Out of position.
Stewart - 6. Never cut it as a striker, despite power and some pace. Surprisingly effective as a midfield destroyer.
Gazza - 5. Clearly not fit. Lucky to still be on the pitch at the end. Outplayed by Mark Draper.
Nayim - 4. Never got in the game apart from one goalmouth scramble.

Lineker - 6. No wonder he went into TV... Poor first half, when he missed a great chance. Better as the game opened up towards the end.

Sideways - 7. Some nice passes and plenty of industry.
Walsh - 6. Because he's worth it.

Last edited:
My first game was a rearranged league game in April 1970 v man utd. We won 2-1 and even if we had lost heavily I was hooked on all things Tottenham Hotspur. Stood on the enclosure that night and can still remember approaching White Hart Lane station and seeing the ground for the very first time....can still conjure up the smell of westles hot dogs, roll ups and horse shit if I try hard enough. Fuck I love Spurs.

Back
Top Bottom