Frank de Boer – A good fit for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You always post valid, articulate, well constructed comments Lister and you have again. But for me, there
is this nagging uncertainty about bringing in another untried/tested coach from abroad! I accept, Pochettino
was once this guy and its he, who I would chose over De Boer. For his EPL (Limited, granted) experience.
That and his general demeanor. I think he will steady and improve a very rocky ship.

Ultimately. I won't be that disappointed either way!

COYS!!
Thank you.

I think thats perfectly fair - I think it would be a big advantage to him - but as you point out yourself he came in from Spain and hit the ground running himself.

Its the only real downside I see to FDB, can he adapt quickly?
Where as the downsides I see to Pochettino by comparion - can he deal with real pressure? can he push on to win things? We already know FDB can.

Any appointment will come with its uncertainties, I guess thats part of what makes it all so interesting.

Thank you.

I think thats perfectly fair - I think it would be a big advantage to him - but as you point out yourself he came in from Spain and hit the ground running himself.

Its the only real downside I see to FDB, can he adapt quickly?
Where as the downsides I see to Pochettino by comparion - can he deal with real pressure? can he push on to win things? We already know FDB can.

Any appointment will come with its uncertainties, I guess thats part of what makes it all so interesting.

True, although it's a different kind of pressure. At Spurs he could face boos and constant abuse from the first or second match. Such is our fanbase. Ajax would have expected a lot but the atmosphere among fans generally positive compared to what he will face at spurs. Also we know he can push on to win things with Ajax in the Eredivisie, not with Spurs in the Premier League up against the likes of City Chelsea etc.

He's probably my preferred choice out the two of them actually but just thought if be pedantic

True, although it's a different kind of pressure. At Spurs he could face boos and constant abuse from the first or second match. Such is our fanbase. Ajax would have expected a lot but the atmosphere among fans generally positive compared to what he will face at spurs. Also we know he can push on to win things with Ajax in the Eredivisie, not with Spurs in the Premier League up against the likes of City Chelsea etc.

He's probably my preferred choice out the two of them actually but just thought if be pedantic

I dont know the Ajax fanbase anywhere near well enough to really comment. I can just imagine that winning once would raise expectation, and then again would, and again... He has won it 4 years running - they must expect the world! And yet it seems each year he has done it with a lower quality squad. I can imagine that, even if different, the pressure would be high.

Puts me in mind of a conversation I had earlier RE our fans. The last manager we were properly united behind as a fanbase was Jol. You know it was 7 years ago he left? Already! For 7 years we have been divided, Pro Ramos / Anti Harry / Anti AVB / Pro Sherwood - all that nonsense.

This is the first time in a VERY long time I feel a manager could be coming in who we will all once again unite behind and support. No more big divide...

If we're expecting to best clubs like Chelsea and City in the table then we're in desperate need of a re-examination of realistic expectations.

I didn't say our fans are expecting that to be fair. I made a point about fan pressure and then a separate point about FDB winning titles in Holland, with Ajax, not equating to winning titles in England with Spurs, when you have clubs like City and Chelsea competing for the title.

I dont know the Ajax fanbase anywhere near well enough to really comment. I can just imagine that winning once would raise expectation, and then again would, and again... He has won it 4 years running - they must expect the world! And yet it seems each year he has done it with a lower quality squad. I can imagine that, even if different, the pressure would be high.

Puts me in mind of a conversation I had earlier RE our fans. The last manager we were properly united behind as a fanbase was Jol. You know it was 7 years ago he left? Already! For 7 years we have been divided, Pro Ramos / Anti Harry / Anti AVB / Pro Sherwood - all that nonsense.

This is the first time in a VERY long time I feel a manager could be coming in who we will all once again unite behind and support. No more big divide...

Hope you're right mate, I really do! I just find myself completely disillusioned with our fanbase and the one that united behind Jol doesn't exist any more. If Jol was hired now he'd get slaughtered.

I didn't say our fans are expecting that to be fair. I made a point about fan pressure and then a separate point about FDB winning titles in Holland, with Ajax, not equating to winning titles in England with Spurs, when you have clubs like City and Chelsea competing for the title.

Sorry, mate, didn't quite catch the separation of the two arguments. Either way, I still think the point stands that we have to be patient with whoever the new manager is and realize that it isn't going to be instant success.

I vote for FDB.
Considering how many times I will have to type out the new managers name on here over the next year or two, I just think it's more efficient and I like that.
AVB was pretty straight forward and football aside, it was all good.
I mean, imagine someone like Martin O'Neill becoming mananger. Sure, you'll soon remember that the "i before e except after c" rule doesn't apply, but having to find that Ctrl key all the time...no thanks.
Now compare that to having to type out Pochettino or Martinez and the decision is an easy one.

I vote for FDB.
Considering how many times I will have to type out the new managers name on here over the next year or two, I just think it's more efficient and I like that.
AVB was pretty straight forward and football aside, it was all good.
I mean, imagine someone like Martin O'Neill becoming mananger. Sure, you'll soon remember that the "i before e except after c" rule doesn't apply, but having to find that Ctrl key all the time...no thanks.
Now compare that to having to type out Pochettino or Martinez and the decision is an easy one.

Am I being whooshed or, I don't know, you just don't like the abbreviation MON :ade:

Just a thought. Will we need to see how the Woolwich do in Saturdays FACup to determine whether they may need a replacement coach with FDB possibly fitting their calling?

Just a thought. Will we need to see how the Woolwich do in Saturdays FACup to determine whether they may need a replacement coach with FDB possibly fitting their calling?

You know I was just thinking same thing, I just listened to the Guardian podcast and almost shit myself as they were discussing that and I hadn't even considered it, surely you cant decide a managers fate on one game? But yeah would be good to get FDB sorted ASAP especially when the scum could bring Bergkamp as a package

I agree. I am for FDB but if we want some of best players to remain at the club then some hurry up is needed.
FDB brings a real chance of stabilising and improving the squad.

I think it's a close call between Poch and FDB, both similarly experienced but with FDB under the most pressurised position (in a should walk the league way). I'd of thought FDB would command more respect in the dressing room, seems sterner and his playing career was pretty decent to say the least. Either way either manager would be a success if they got us playing in a similar way either of their respective teams are atm. FDB edging it for me though, purely through Stam.

Lister Lister

i agree with all you have said...
food for thought though given what he has said in the dutch media about wanting to stay do you think he actually wants to come to us this year?

Honestly, for me, I think he is ours if we want him.

I suspect his comments were designed to get Levy to pull his finger out, if anything. Often happens with a new manager doesnt it? Seems to (inexpicably) take longer than you think it should, comments start coming out as if the man isnt interested and then things get moving...

Didnt AVB do as much with us? Started talking about taking other opportunities or something when it appeared we wanted to interview a couple of people for the job?

Harry with QPR - "Yeah Ive got an offer from the Ukraine I fancy taking..."

Either way, it is always going to be a bit of a leap of faith. Both have their positive and the not-so-positives and for all the debate none of us can be a 100 percent sure that either FDB or MoPo will be successfull.
I don't really see a point in picking a favorite at this time. We all may get behind the manager at first, but say that man is not the one you supported. How many losses will it take before the doubts start to seep in? I'd rather let Levy and co pick the man they think can get us success and then get behind him when he joins without already having a bit of bias either way.

I read somewhere earlier today (Telegraph, I think) that FDB is in a pre-season friendly/training camp in Indonesia for a week and that nothing would happen until he's returned.:mad:

Either way, it is always going to be a bit of a leap of faith. Both have their positive and the not-so-positives and for all the debate none of us can be a 100 percent sure that either FDB or MoPo will be successfull.
I don't really see a point in picking a favorite at this time. We all may get behind the manager at first, but say that man is not the one you supported. How many losses will it take before the doubts start to seep in? I'd rather let Levy and co pick the man they think can get us success and then get behind him when he joins without already having a bit of bias either way.

I think the one thing we'll be able to thank Sherwood for is uniting our fan base behind his successor. Apart from a few WUM's, everyone's been so eager for him to go that the sense of relief and kudos the new man will get for "not being Sherwood" will buy them more time.

FDB coz of his superior playing career and profile I feel will also get a longer honeymoon period.

Back
Top Bottom