Frank Worthington: R.I.P

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not one to usually start a thread about another club's player.... but just saw that Frank Worthington had died, aged 72.

For those of us from a 'certain' generation, Frank was one of a handful of players you grew up just liking, regardless of what team they played for.
I'm sure people older than I will feel the same about George Best, and fans of other clubs possibly felt the same about Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflowrr & Pat Jennings.... and later, the likes of Hoddle & Ardiles...

But I'm a child of the '70s/early '80s, and players like Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Liam Brady (sorry!) Dalglish, Keegan, pretty much WERE the '70s!

They'd be who you'd tune into Match Of The Day for, even if Spurs weren't playing, or go to see play live, even if they DID play for the opposition!

It seems somewhat poignant that in a year where football has died a little, so many iconic players from such an iconic era have been lost.

RIP Frank.

I used to live near Leicester when Frank came down

Worshipped by the Filbert Street faithful

But was a lad for the ladies!

Great player and, like Ginola, was often worth the admission fee!
RIP

Greatest goal ever. It's subjective but WTF

It's just the finish. I used to play with a guy who played in Franks testimonial and he talks about it like it was witchcraft. FW was in his 40's at that point and his first touch was so good Paul Ince actually retired.
:myword:

Last edited:
Not one to usually start a thread about another club's player.... but just saw that Frank Worthington had died, aged 72.

For those of us from a 'certain' generation, Frank was one of a handful of players you grew up just liking, regardless of what team they played for.
I'm sure people older than I will feel the same about George Best, and fans of other clubs possibly felt the same about Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflowrr & Pat Jennings.... and later, the likes of Hoddle & Ardiles...

But I'm a child of the '70s/early '80s, and players like Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh, Liam Brady (sorry!) Dalglish, Keegan, pretty much WERE the '70s!

They'd be who you'd tune into Match Of The Day for, even if Spurs weren't playing, or go to see play live, even if they DID play for the opposition!

It seems somewhat poignant that in a year where football has died a little, so many iconic players from such an iconic era have been lost.

RIP Frank.

Add Alan Hudson, Tony Currie and a few others to that list.

I remember seeing him playing at WHL. Don't remember anything about the game or what the score was but I was in the Paxton and we gave him untold abuse which he took well.

I'm off to look it up!

I remember seeing him playing at WHL. Don't remember anything about the game or what the score was but I was in the Paxton and we gave him untold abuse which he took well.

I'm off to look it up!
Ahh the days when the oppo players could take the shit given out and have the balls to come over after the game. As I recall, we always gave them credit before giving them more shit before they went down the tunnel.

RIP...remember trying to recreate that goal at the park even though it was scored before I was even thought of.

My uncle talked a lot about all those type of players, his personal favourite after Bestie (of course), was Robin Friday. My uncle told me he kicked Lawro in the face and was a complete maniac.

article-2338855-1A3DC67D000005DC-195_634x508.jpg

😂

Ahh the days when the oppo players could take the shit given out and have the balls to come over after the game. As I recall, we always gave them credit before giving them more shit before they went down the tunnel.
I think that's what you define as 'grudging respect'.
Yes, they played for the opposition, yes you were 'obliged' to give them stick.... but it was always due to the fact you acknowledged them as an amazing footballer.

Nowaydas, they just slag them off on Twatter, and wait for the inevitable ban!

Mind you, the racist abuse doesn't seem to have gone away unfortunately.... whilst once it was on the terraces, now it's behind a computer screen.
Nothing changes, except the medium it's vented on!

Back
Top Bottom