Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are we really being critical already ? Jesus. The guys played 20 mins. Bale isn’t the problem here, it’s that dog shit defence. The quicker we implement this Rodon and get useless cunts like Aurier and Sanchez out the team, the better. Bale looked a little rusty as expected, but even though he missed that sitter, that run showed he has something in his locker still. No issue with bale whatsoever. It’s our defence I worry about.
Wouldn't disagree with that, everyone wanted him to play – probably a couple of weeks too early and at a time when the team as a collective looked slow.

His skill for the run was sublime but at this level he needs his speed and fitness to come back first.

I looked at the line-up and thought, Aurier, maybe he will be better now he knows he's not an automatic selection. Shame.

Sissoko looked nervous as hell, all tense, shoulders up high and terrible again. This season is going to be wide open, we have a real chance but we're pissing it away already.

Wouldn't disagree with that, everyone wanted him to play – probably a couple of weeks too early and at a time when the team as a collective looked slow.

His skill for the run was sublime but at this level he needs his speed and fitness to come back first.

I looked at the line-up and thought, Aurier, maybe he will be better now he knows he's not an automatic selection. Shame.

Sissoko looked nervous as hell, all tense, shoulders up high and terrible again. This season is going to be wide open, we have a real chance but we're pissing it away already.
Agreed. Nothing we can do when city or liverpool run away with the league with huge pts total. But it's weak seasons like these when we need to be ready to capitalise. Already we are dropping pts for fun.

yarmalenko barged into like a wwe superstar. I'm suprised he still got his shot off although if he didn't the ref would've given that. fine margins

Dolph Ziggler Reaction GIF by WWE

Looks like the 'challenge' on PEH at the death of the Newcastle game too.

I think Bale might be a bit of luxury player, I hope not too luxury for us. Mou likes (and the tactics we have require the player to do it) wingers to do some defensive/covering job, that's why we've seen a lot of Son tracking back, and that's why Mou likes Lucas. And that's actually the reason I don't want Lucas sold, his workrate is superb, good at pressing and tracks back a lot, which helps the team, doesn't really making him shine.
All of that won't apply to Bale, due to his age/injuries we won't see him sprinting 60 yards to help the defence. We could see that yesterday, Aurier was terribly exposed after Bale came in, and we've seen the result.
I agree with 99% of things that bus-conductor says (hi there, Sissoko), but the 1% that I completely disagree is our defence. I think we defend nicely as an unit, we are prepared to defend as a team and it looks much, much better than it used to be, but we cannot rely on individual performances and our tactical set up actually hides the flaws of our defenders.

Nice wall of text, damn me. Point is - Bale won't fit in that unit.

Huddlestone was fantastic in 2009-10.

Guy had the best technique of any midfielder I've seen in my lifetime at Spurs. BUT he couldn't really keep himself fit for long periods and football was evolving at a rapid pace with how teams started pressing a lot harder and we saw less and less of him as the years went on.

Still, he gave us this in one of his last performances for us

What a beauty of an assist.

Joe Hart coming out on his arse but yes great technique and perfectly weighted pass

I think Bale might be a bit of luxury player, I hope not too luxury for us. Mou likes (and the tactics we have require the player to do it) wingers to do some defensive/covering job, that's why we've seen a lot of Son tracking back, and that's why Mou likes Lucas. And that's actually the reason I don't want Lucas sold, his workrate is superb, good at pressing and tracks back a lot, which helps the team, doesn't really making him shine.
All of that won't apply to Bale, due to his age/injuries we won't see him sprinting 60 yards to help the defence. We could see that yesterday, Aurier was terribly exposed after Bale came in, and we've seen the result.
I agree with 99% of things that bus-conductor says (hi there, Sissoko), but the 1% that I completely disagree is our defence. I think we defend nicely as an unit, we are prepared to defend as a team and it looks much, much better than it used to be, but we cannot rely on individual performances and our tactical set up actually hides the flaws of our defenders.

Nice wall of text, damn me. Point is - Bale won't fit in that unit.
It's a myth that Mourinho has only one set of instruction for his wide attacker/winger. People let his Chelsea first stint cloud the judgement. The tactic allows Fat Frank to arrive get to opposition final third on time since he was one of their main goal threat. Joe Cole was not that good in attacking to justify his lack of effort in tracking back. He's one of the main and biggest misfit in that team. Mourinho has no issue accommodate attackers lacking defensive quality. Hazard, Robben, Eto'o and BalotelI as wide attacker... of course Ronaldo.

Luxury player is the cherry on top type of player that only does well when his team does well. Which means the player requires the whole team to set up just for him and even then he only does well for glimpses, unable to stay relevant the whole game, a liability even for taking the spot from player who can contribute. Unless Bale is that finished as Rooney in his final few years for Man U (I don't see that), he's far from a luxury player, when he can produce up front. People have been throwing the term too loosely.

It's a myth that Mourinho has only one set of instruction for his wide attacker/winger. People let his Chelsea first stint cloud the judgement. The tactic allows Fat Frank to arrive get to opposition final third on time since he was one of their main goal threat. Joe Cole was not that good in attacking to justify his lack of effort in tracking back. He's one of the main and biggest misfit in that team. Mourinho has no issue accommodate attackers lacking defensive quality. Hazard, Robben, Eto'o and BalotelI as wide attacker... of course Ronaldo.

Luxury player is the cherry on top type of player that only does well when his team does well. Which means the player requires the whole team to set up just for him and even then he only does well for glimpses, unable to stay relevant the whole game, a liability even for taking the spot from player who can contribute. Unless Bale is that finished as Rooney in his final few years for Man U (I don't see that), he's far from a luxury player, when he can produce up front. People have been throwing the term too loosely.
It's not about Mourinho in particular, it's about adapting the tactics to players you have. We have Aurier and defenders that do not work well in isolated situations or 1v1s.
We are very far from seeing Bale at his best, and it's not only fitness wise. He needs time with the team and time on pitch as well, I was only wondering if his skillset is the one that suits us the best. I rate him much more than Lucas, but Lucas gets extra points for covering RB, the most exploitable position in our team.

It's not about Mourinho in particular, it's about adapting the tactics to players you have. We have Aurier and defenders that do not work well in isolated situations or 1v1s.
We are very far from seeing Bale at his best, and it's not only fitness wise. He needs time with the team and time on pitch as well, I was only wondering if his skillset is the one that suits us the best. I rate him much more than Lucas, but Lucas gets extra points for covering RB, the most exploitable position in our team.
Mourinho teams don't always have great full backs that is great in 1v1 situation. How young Bale wrecked Maicon show us Maicon was not all that defensively. How David's Santon career crashed post Mourinho reign at Inter. They were always flawed, but as long as not being total liable with no positive then there is nothing to worry. Mourinho even has winger as full backs, wing backs through out his career, however flaw these guys are. Tanganga may even get game time as right back. Or worst case scenario, just ask Bale to play on the left with Ben Davies being more defensive. Bale has preference to play on the right, but between losing and not playing at all, I doubt he's that stubborn and stupid.

The only big issue with us is CB position which is a different story altogether.

Last edited:
He really doesn't.

We have 5 second string attacking players that all need to get their game up.
I think we should be building his minutes up gradually with an aim to him starting against City
I would love to finally see GLC, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Son , Bale and Kane all start against city.

I think we should be building his minutes up gradually with an aim to him starting against City
I would love to finally see GLC, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Son , Bale and Kane all start against city.

What's that, 5 EPL games away?

He's just done 20m..... Keep upping it over the next 4 games and then 'bam'....

Let's face it, we didn't bring him in to drag us through the Europa League group stage; it's about having extra quality in the biggest of games and maybe the occasional bit of quality to unlock some of the more stubborn teams in the league and turn some otherwise annoying draws into wins.... Physically speaking, we need to be smart with him.

I think he could use the minutes in the legs against LASK. He didn’t look ready to start in the Prem Sunday. No better way to work him up to starting than a Europa League match at home. This is essentially his pre-season.

Back
Top Bottom