Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bale was a Levy signing, just a bonus punt. If it works out then great, if not we sell some shirts before sending him back. Same thing with Alex Morgan and the women's team.

I'm sure Mourinho was happy to add another player with experience of winning the biggest trophies but he was warning straight away that Bale had physical problems and a mental issue of dwelling on previous injuries.

Let's just hope that Bale can chip in with a few goals in the cup matches, where he will get plenty of football. It's very clear when you look at the intensity of the PL that he is not going to be a regular player in that competition. He simply doesn't have the legs to hurt PL defences. It's a telling sign that his 3 goals have been a penalty and two headers.

He is not capable of bullying people with the ball at his feet or regularly blasting it into the top corner anymore. After so many seasons being utterly explosive it's normal that at 31 he is a diminished player. But he still has his technical quality so there is still a role for him.
Yeah that makes much more sense. More of a commercial levy punt. & as you say, mourinho happy to take on a player with his pedigree if thats what the chairman is offering. I too think his body hasn't got what it takes any more for the physicality & intensity of the premiership. He would suit a slower less physical league. But yes there is always the possibility he can stay fit for a bit longer & chip in with a few goals. Especially in the cups.

Bit suprised mourinho got this one wrong (so far). A already peaked bale Doesn't seem a good fit for a hard working defensive mourinho team at all. You can't get them all right though. So far hojberg & reg been great signings. Doherty & bale disappointing. Vincinus & rodon looked decent in what little game time they have had. Hart has being a reliable back up.
Hard to predict. Id have thought Doherty & bale would have done better than hart & hojberg.
Not sure he had much to do with it it was am emotional move by levy, who like the rest of us was in love with the player who left. There is not much of that man left.. Jose i suspect went along because it would raise morale and it did. We were buzzing thinking we'd have a Bale prime Son Kane three. He isn't on that level now he can't match Berwgwin anymore (consistently( My last romantic hope before the loan ends and he heads to China is a stalemate in a big (possibly league deciding or Ueffa Cup winning game) that he comes off the bench and provides a moment. Like his overhead kick against the dippers.

Still plenty of time for him to turn it around
but how likely is it based on past form? That's what some users can't seem to grasp, we've seen it all before at RM.

Having enough time to step up makes sense when it's a young player with drive and history to stepping up after injuries, like Danny Ings. Bale is not gonna do a Ings.

Not sure he had much to do with it it was am emotional move by levy, who like the rest of us was in love with the player who left. There is not much of that man left.. Jose i suspect went along because it would raise morale and it did. We were buzzing thinking we'd have a Bale prime Son Kane three. He isn't on that level now he can't match Berwgwin anymore (consistently( My last romantic hope before the loan ends and he heads to China is a stalemate in a big (possibly league deciding or Ueffa Cup winning game) that he comes off the bench and provides a moment. Like his overhead kick against the dippers.
Yeah I think you & stripes are right on that. An iconic moment or 2 before he goes would be the best case scenario. Oh well, the punt didn't pay off!

I didn't get excited about signing Bale, as I remember how he left us and I'm a bearer of grudges!
I feel like we're the wronged spouse, who has been left for a more attractive model. He in turn has been discarded and left to his own devices. We've welcomed him back with open arms, no recriminations and low expectations into what he is contributing to the relationship.
Sod that for a game of soldiers!!
(I felt the same about Sheringham, Klinsmann and Keane - if nothing else, I am consistent).

Last edited:
I didn't get excited about signing Bale, as I remember how he left us and I'm a bearer of grudges!
I feel like we're the wronged spouse, who has been left for a more attractive model. He in turn has been discarded and left to his own devices. We've welcomed him back with open arms and no recriminations and low expectations into what he is contributing to the relationship.
Sod that for a game of soldiers!!
(I felt the same about Sheringham, Klinsmann and Keane - if nothing else, I am consistent).

Good on you.

And let's be honest the only way back into hearts is by being an absolute star, at which point people may not forget but they may sort of forgive.

So far Bale's arrival has had more of an impact because of his presence more than the anything he has actually contributed on the pitch.

Back
Top Bottom