Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Good on you.

And let's be honest the only way back into hearts is by being an absolute star, at which point people may not forget but they may sort of forgive.

So far Bale's arrival has had more of an impact because of his presence more than the anything he has actually contributed on the pitch.
Its January, and the season will be remember based on the final results. Bale gets healthy and scores a couple important goals in a run to winning the EL or FA Cup, or in our wildest hushed dreams the league, and his legend will be firmly cemented.

Such is the life of such a player - it only takes a couple memorable goals in the biggest of moments, but it does take those goals. Even busted, he's capable of a few moments of magic, which is why he was brought in. It was always going to be about Feb-May for him.

Its January, and the season will be remember based on the final results. Bale gets healthy and scores a couple important goals in a run to winning the EL or FA Cup, or in our wildest hushed dreams the league, and his legend will be firmly cemented.

Such is the life of such a player - it only takes a couple memorable goals in the biggest of moments, but it does take those goals. Even busted, he's capable of a few moments of magic, which is why he was brought in. It was always going to be about Feb-May for him.
I seem to remember a lot of best front 3 in the league shouts, not "he'll contribute some key goals in cup runs towards the end of the season".

I seem to remember a lot of best front 3 in the league shouts, not "he'll contribute some key goals in cup runs towards the end of the season".
Guilty as charged, but I expected his health to come back quicker. If he does get fit and in form, though, I still stand behind those statements.

Something something Toby Keith "As good once as I ever was".

but I expected his health to come back quicker
I think that's the key divergence between myself and all the other posters. I don't expect him to be healthy for any meaningful period of time. I base this on his track record at Real, and now Spurs, but most of the people on the opposite side base it on hope and nostalgia.

Rather than expect, I'd say hope.

I think that's the key divergence between myself and all the other posters. I don't expect him to be healthy for any meaningful period of time. I base this on his track record at Real, and now Spurs, but most of the people on the opposite side base it on hope and nostalgia.

Yeah, I think there's obviously a measure of reality acceptance needed. If something seems to good to be true, then it surely is.

Politics aside, Madrid wouldn't have frozen Bale out and then happily sent him back to us for basically nothing if he was the player they paid a record fee for.

I think his return has been as much symbolic as it was about results on the pitch. But, yeah, I still think if we're going to win anything this season he'll have a big hand in it eventually.

"All the other posters" you read minds too? I've said for some months he is on the way to China, can not stay fit and hope at most for a few match winning cameos and quite a few people agree. Prehaps you only read your own posts.

"All the other posters" you read minds too? I've said for some months he is on the way to China, can not stay fit and hope at most for a few match winning cameos and quite a few people agree. Prehaps you only read your own posts.
Have you? I didn't realise. I've seen a few people changing their tune over the recent months, but my experience has been to get 1 agee and 10 disagrees when I criticised Bale.

People accusing me of not being a real fan for not getting suckered in by the nostalgia. It got pretty fucking abusive tbh. So I may not have seen a lot of the posts that weren't hurling abuse at me.

Looking back, it was just me and Mick Cooper Mick Cooper getting tons of abuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you? I didn't realise. I've seen a few people changing their tune over the recent months, but my experience has been to get 1 agee and 10 disagrees when I criticised Bale.

People accusing me of not being a real fan for not getting suckered in by the nostalgia. It got pretty fucking abusive tbh. So I may not have seen a lot of the posts that weren't hurling abuse at me.

Looking back, it was just me and Mick Cooper Mick Cooper getting tons of abuse.
Nah a few in here man. Mrs P Scott. Lots of folk have seen through it. It was good for morale and that's been about it. Say what you want about Levy unlike them mugs over in Woolwich we will not be long picking up thd bill, or lumbered for years.

Nah a few in here man. Mrs P Scott. Lots of folk have seen through it. It was good for morale and that's been about it. Say what you want about Levy unlike them mugs over in Woolwich we will not be long picking up thd bill, or lumbered for years.
I guess a few other posters spoke up a bit but it didn't devolve into the abusive pile up cos they're either respected poster like Ms P or whatever other reason. Only me and mick seemed to get called trolls, delusional and mentally ill.

Lol.

If any player carried us last year; it was Sissoko.

Bale wasn't signed to play week in, week out. Club probably expected 20-25 games from him and for him to make a big impact from the subs bench when we are chasing a goal.

lo Celso should be the heartbeat of our midfield and a bang on starter. He has missed a massive 104 days through injury (that number is expected to rise to 120 with his current injury). Bale has been out injured less than Lo Celso.
Sissoko was poor last year, you’re think 2 seasons ago.

The rest I can’t argue with.

Stage 2: ANGER

MARCA and Spanish journo’s are a bunch of xenophobic liars, I can’t believe that there are fans Who don’t respect his Tottenham legacy and never wanted him back. They are happy to see him fail!

I'm not half empty or half full. It's not clear, based on his last 2yrs, if he's gonna be good for us or not. The deal however is a good deal as it's a win/win for us to find out where he's at.
When people were whining at you about why you aren super duper excited in cumming mode over Bale, I guess you were right. Half a season almost and hes done fuck all.

When people were whining at you about why you aren super duper excited in cumming mode over Bale, I guess you were right. Half a season almost and hes done fuck all.

He was injured until October.

He scored a winner against Brighton, a chance that Bergwyjin and Moura would have both missed.

Wonder if he'll be in José's plans for Marine? It was probably exactly what he was envisaging when he was welcomed home to Hotspur Way in the summer by throngs of lockdown breaking fans chanting his name.

Bale can still come good but the light on the wick is not flickering as brightly as when he arrived.

Mourinho will only keep quiet on him for so long if he continues to disappoint, injuries or not.

And even more so if we lose games.

Definitely not made the impact I'd hoped thus far. However, it's just a loan.

I still think he might have a big say in some big games. Want him around for the league cup final, even if it's just to take a free-kick late on as Kane sure as shit isn't scoring!

Wonder if he'll be in José's plans for Marine? It was probably exactly what he was envisaging when he was welcomed home to Hotspur Way in the summer by throngs of lockdown breaking fans chanting his name.

He's gonna score against Marine, and a bunch of people will turn up in this thread to chat shit.

Back
Top Bottom