Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have you? I didn't realise. I've seen a few people changing their tune over the recent months, but my experience has been to get 1 agee and 10 disagrees when I criticised Bale.

People accusing me of not being a real fan for not getting suckered in by the nostalgia. It got pretty fucking abusive tbh. So I may not have seen a lot of the posts that weren't hurling abuse at me.

Looking back, it was just me and Mick Cooper Mick Cooper getting tons of abuse.
Yes, I'm looking forward to someone starting the humble pie thread, so all of the people posting the smarmy, piss taking and derogatory remarks can chip in with their heartfelt apologies.
Ah no, they will always be able to fall back on the free header he was given against Brighton to justify it all.

The saddest part is the fact that I wanted them all to be right, just as much as they did, I'm equally gutted that he isnt showing anything of the old Gareth.
Pointing out that he looks like a Gareth Bale lookalike but plays football like a Susan Boyle lookalike doesn't seem to sit too well with some people.

Maybe they didnt know she was so good in the air.....

Last edited:
The saddest part is the fact that I wanted them all to be right, just as much as they did, I'm equally gutted that he isnt showing anything of the old Gareth
Said so myself, but after the first bit of criticism a lot of people just lost all sense of proportion and the ability to read. The fairytale return of the prodigal son would have been amazing, so would winning a million pound lottery, but any sensible person knows that neither is very likely.

There won't be any apology or self-reflection from most of the abusive users either. Let's just hope he can at least contribute something against the likes Marine and Wolfsberger so it's not a total waste.

and Mick Cooper Mick Cooper

He's gonna score the winners in our three finals this season and earn us crucial points in the league.

Come at me!

:mourbringit:
Are you under the impression that I hope you are wrong?
I wouldn't/couldn't be more pleased - and I'll be going nuts with everyone else if he does it in even one of them.

None of my comments are the basis of a campaign against the guy, all I have done is passed my opinions of what I have seen of him in this incarnation of him in a Spurs shirt. All I have said is that to date, he has done nothing in match play to justify putting him back on the pitch.
If Alli cant buy a game, then based on his performances then neither should Bale, JM has to be consistent in his allocation of game time, particularly given his public statements about players having to play their way into the starting line up.
We cannot pick Bale on the basis of his performances back in 2012/13.

Are you under the impression that I hope you are wrong?
I wouldn't/couldn't be more pleased - and I'll be going nuts with everyone else if he does it in even one of them.

None of my comments are the basis of a campaign against the guy, all I have done is passed my opinions of what I have seen of him in this incarnation of him in a Spurs shirt. All I have said is that to date, he has done nothing in match play to justify putting him back on the pitch.
If Alli cant buy a game, then based on his performances then neither should Bale, JM has to be consistent in his allocation of game time, particularly given his public statements about players having to play their way into the starting line up.
We cannot pick Bale on the basis of his performances back in 2012/13.
Was only having a bit of fun...

How are we arguing over bale. Wed all love him produce some of his old magic and well all go mental if he does. But he hasnt so far, its plain as the nose on peoples faces so whats the arguement?? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

and Mick Cooper Mick Cooper

He's gonna score the winners in our three finals this season and earn us crucial points in the league.

Come at me!

:mourbringit:
So brave.

In Love Hearts GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I've taken some serious abuse for suggesting that he isnt worth playing in his current form

It's catch 22 though. He's not good enough in his current form, but his form wont improve if he doesn't play.

I've been a little disappointed with him so far, but to be honest our whole midfield has been under par this season. Bale has come to us off the back of a long period of time where he wasn't playing so it'll take some time to get up to speed especially as he's coming back after injury. I'm willing to give him a little longer, but he needs to start producing the goods soon. That goes for Lamela, Lo Celso, Bergwjin and Lucas too though. We can't keep relying on Son and Kane for the goals and assists, the others should be doing better on this front.

It's catch 22 though. He's not good enough in his current form, but his form wont improve if he doesn't play.

I've been a little disappointed with him so far, but to be honest our whole midfield has been under par this season. Bale has come to us off the back of a long period of time where he wasn't playing so it'll take some time to get up to speed especially as he's coming back after injury. I'm willing to give him a little longer, but he needs to start producing the goods soon. That goes for Lamela, Lo Celso, Bergwjin and Lucas too though. We can't keep relying on Son and Kane for the goals and assists, the others should be doing better on this front.
Sorry but you only get to play, if you deserve to play based on your performances. First team matches aren't training games, and hes had opportunities in the low key UEFA league games and league cup and he has been beyond disappointing. The Marine game might be another start, but will it be opposition that will be a worthwhile test?

I understand your point, but he really has had a lot of games and he has been gash. I hope he turns it round and starts pouring out some some gold dust, but it's a level of consistency we'd all really love to see.

Sorry but you only get to play, if you deserve to play based on your performances.

The trouble with that point of view is based on current performances we'd only ever have 7 players on the field. We do at some point have to give the players a chance to turn things around. It doesn't matter whether it's the league or the cup, all games are important when we're fighting on four fronts.

The trouble with that point of view is based on current performances we'd only ever have 7 players on the field. We do at some point have to give the players a chance to turn things around. It doesn't matter whether it's the league or the cup, all games are important when we're fighting on four fronts.
It makes little sense to take one line of my post and treat it in total isolation, as if it was the be all and end all of my argument. It actually serves to enhance my point, yes we have deficiencies in our overall team play - we are crying out for someone of his experience who has played to the astonishing levels that he has reached, and yet he hasnt even surpassed the levels set by the present squad on it's current form. Someone quoted Moura and Begwijn as being people Bale should play in place of, and the answer is no - not on the evidence presented so far. Not one of Bales appearances has remotely approached the application, skill, intensity or effort that either of those 2 show whenever they play. They dont achieve a great deal - but at least they look like they give a shit and they are having a go, as best they can.

Back
Top Bottom