Gareth Southgate - Yay or Nay?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you have belief in him?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
So, after coming so close yet still so far do you believe he's the right man to take us forward? Can we get over that final hurdle under his guidance or is it time to say a big thank you and look for someone with some fresh ideas?

There's no getting away from the fact that he's done a lot of things extremely well for England, and his record his very good if you concentrate on the results alone. He's certainly got us organized, playing for each other and very difficult to beat. To go through a tournament only conceding two goals, one which was a set piece, that deserves a lot of praise. Especially when you're back line and keeper was supposed to be the weak point of the team.

But on the other hand, clearly he hasn't been able to get the best out of so much talent. The likes of Foden, Sancho, Mount... England have the forward players to create chances against any side in the world, but we actually create so little more often that not. England's main strength should be our attack but it's so often the opposite. Does he even know what his strongest 11 is? I get the impression that he doesn't.

You can't sack someone after making a final. The question is more about whether you believe he is the right man to stay in charge for the next half a dozen or so years., or do you think this tournament will be as good as it gets?

Hard one. I think he has done very well, Germany, Croatia, Denmark are good teams and we nearly won yesterday but given it feels like there is a special group of attacking players coming through my feeling is, is this style of management suited for such and the answer is probably no.

Southgate is a great guy, he sets a wonderful example as a person but I don’t trust him to get the best out of Grealish, Foden, Sancho etc, 3 players who will almost certainly be considered world class in the future. That for me is the critical element, someone like Wenger or Eddie Howe would be better suited to the talents we have in my view and getting the best out of the squad.

If Mancini was our manager yesterday we would have been 4-3-3 with the likes of Grealish, Kane and Sancho hitting the Italian back line hard and probably winning. That is where the difference is.

Yes. He's improved England hugely, everything from tactics to preparation. He needs to tweak his system to attack more but he can do that. A semi and now a final, massive progress. How do we get success by throwing managers away constantly?

He deserves to keep his job, absolutely. No knee jerks needed.

Get a better attack patterns coach to support him, scout the world for the best up and coming coach who will take the gig.

No way do the FA say goodbye, so mute question, I sway to yay as he knows the youth soo well and we are burdening with talent in the next 3-4 years.

Get a better attack patterns coach to support him, scout the world for the best up and coming coach who will take the gig.

No way do the FA say goodbye, so mute question, I sway to yay as he knows the youth soo well and we are burdening with talent in the next 3-4 years.

I could support him staying if he did that but that would require a huge degree of mental flexibility on Southgate’s part. Most managers can’t evolve, Fergie was an exception who changed his style and assistants.

Got some things right in the face of popular opinion, but the final was there to win and we reverted to classic England when it mattered most.

"It's a young team; they'll bounce back stronger" leaves a bitter taste..... I can't stomach a Golden Gen. MK II.

Will a change of manager be beneficial so close to the next tournament? ....I'm undecided, but no way will the FA pull the trigger.

He just reached an international final - his job is safe - let's hope he learns to utilise the players better, picked a good squad and got nearly every decision tight until the final.

Just like the players he will learn, changing it now just a year from the WCF's - makes no sense.

Much better out there.

We need to play to our strengths, and that is attack.

If you can improve, you should. We all know too well, standing still doesn't work.

Bit like hiring a certain Jose when most of the squad quality was in attack. What team would do that?

Yes. He's improved England hugely, everything from tactics to preparation. He needs to tweak his system to attack more but he can do that. A semi and now a final, massive progress. How do we get success by throwing managers away constantly?

He deserves to keep his job, absolutely. No knee jerks needed.

He can but will he? I don't get the impression he will or would even want to. Southgate just gives me the impression of someone that's happy to try and do just about enough in games. Foden and Sancho in-particular were so under used in this tournament it's ridiculous. Just about any other International side baring France would kill to have one or both of them.

We can’t be charities. Southgate did quite well but fell short in attack badly, Kane was totally isolated a lot of the time. He needs to show he can use Foden and Grealish properly because we wont have much of a chance in the World Cup unless we do that.

He can but will he? I don't get the impression he will or would even want to. Southgate just gives me the impression of someone that's happy to try and do just about enough in games. Foden and Sancho in-particular were so under used in this tournament it's ridiculous. Just about any other International side baring France would kill to have one or both of them.
That's what we'll have to see. I think people should lose their jobs for failure. I don't think he failed at all, we were not expected to win this. France were, then Italy with everyone else as also-rans. It's possible that the youth of the squad has made him too conservative, not sure if the team could defensively withstand more attacking play. They now have the experience, time to deploy it further.

Is there any mention of Deschamps losing his job? By any measure he failed with the squad at his disposal.

I think he's done a pretty good job. At the same time, he has an excellent squad at his disposal, has had fairly easy runs in both the World Cup and Euro's, and his team have ultimately performed quite poorly on the biggest stage vs Croatia and Italy.

The strength of squad and pragmatic set-up will likely bring England to a quarter or semi-final at the World Cup, but to win it I think you'll have to move on to somebody who'll make use of the attacking options. Wenger maybe? Really lack a top class ball playing CM as well, maybe commit to playing Foden in a deeper role for the next year of internationals in preparation.

That's what we'll have to see. I think people should lose their jobs for failure. I don't think he failed at all, we were not expected to win this. France were, then Italy with everyone else as also-rans. It's possible that the youth of the squad has made him too conservative, not sure if the team could defensively withstand more attacking play. They now have the experience, time to deploy it further.

Is there any mention of Deschamps losing his job? By any measure he failed with the squad at his disposal.

Yeah, I'm not saying he should be sacked. It would be madness to sack a manager on the back of losing a final on penalties. It's a question about whether people do believe we can suddenly attack the way we should be able to with the players we have, as despite making a final, there was little signs of it throughout the tournament. And whether people are still convinced by Southgate, that he can get us playing the way we should be able to.

Yeah, I'm not saying he should be sacked. It would be madness to sack a manager on the back of losing a final on penalties. It's a question about whether people do believe we can suddenly attack the way we should be able to with the players we have, as despite making a final, there was little signs of it throughout the tournament. And whether people are still convinced by Southgate.
I think we showed against Ukraine that it can be done, in pretty devastating fashion. He needs to trust his young squad a bit more, and I think that will happen outside of a tournament situation now. The test will be the World Cup next year. (Feels weird to say next year!)

A young squad still being polished. I trust him.

I think he's done a pretty good job. At the same time, he has an excellent squad at his disposal, has had fairly easy runs in both the World Cup and Euro's, and his team have ultimately performed quite poorly on the biggest stage vs Croatia and Italy.

The strength of squad and pragmatic set-up will likely bring England to a quarter or semi-final at the World Cup, but to win it I think you'll have to move on to somebody who'll make use of the attacking options. Wenger maybe? Really lack a top class ball playing CM as well, maybe commit to playing Foden in a deeper role for the next year of internationals in preparation.

Agree with all of that.

Sadly we don't have a Verratti. Bellingham will be an excellent box to box player but he's another Phillips, but with a bit more quality once he's developed. We have excellent defensive midfield options but nobody to keep things ticking over and pass the ball quickly and efficiently to our forward players. Italy have Verratti, France have Rabiot, Germany have Kroos... We just don't have that type of player.

I'm not a fan of his but i appreciate the job he's done and there is little chance of him being replaced.

I'd love to see Klopp or Pep with that squad, i suspect we'd see a much more aggressive approach on the field. For me Southgate is always going to be reactive and cautious. Picking Mount and Saka yesterday ahead of Sancho or Grealish sums him up, he'll always go for the more conservative option.

I'm not a fan of his but i appreciate the job he's done and there is little chance of him being replaced.

I'd love to see Klopp or Pep with that squad, i suspect we'd see a much more aggressive approach on the field. For me Southgate is always going to be reactive and cautious. Picking Mount and Saka yesterday ahead of Sancho or Grealish sums him up, he'll always go for the more conservative option.

Klopp in charge of the likes of Foden and Sancho would be so much fun. No way we have about 2 shots on goal against Italy in 120 minutes of football under Jurgen playing at Wembley.

People have to remember that teams have to defend too. And I'm not sure our defence stacks up too well if not protected by the midfield.

Bellingham is that option, 18 years old and will probably be better than Carrick. Too young right now so I don’t blame Southgate not using him. Foden and Grealish need to be used futher forward.

Wenger would be perfect for this team IMO.

Back
Top Bottom