Gareth Southgate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What do people think of him ?

I think he's great for England and has been exactly the right man for the job , he's trying to cultivate a style of play and give England an identity he is allowing transition from national youth teams and he has the balls to pick players on merit. He won't win anything but he is destroying the celebrity culture within the national team and trying to build something people can relate too definitely not the yes man many thought the FA employed and Is a nice change of pace from every England manager this millennium.

I'll judge him after the World Cup.

Many coaches have come in and tried new things in friendlies only to go back to the same old boring style at the tournaments. Hodgson playing Dele as a number 10 for example against Germany only to then shoe-horn Rooney into central midfield when we got to the tournaments.

If we go into the tournament, give it our all, play 3 at the back and have a clear plan, then fair play to him.

At euro 2000 england just needed a draw to go forward against romania, on comes Southgate the destroyer with a determined look on his face and then runs like headless chicken spanner Mark Noble; england go 2-3 in 89 minute after being 2-1 up. Most good managers were mediocre players so I guess he will be great that;s how it works right?
Personally I would like to see Hughton as manager because he;s likeable.

Last edited:
Why anyone would want the job of England manager is beyond me. It's a poisoned chalice.

Do well, you should have done better, do poor and you're a clueless fool.

I’m waiting till after the World Cup.

Who knows how he’ll do, he’s here now, might as well give him a fair chance.

He’s not taking hart or Wiltshire, that’s the first big tick!

At euro 2000 england just neeed a draw to go forward against romania, on comes Southgate the destroyer with a determined look on his face and then runs like headless chicken spanner Mark Noble; england go 2-3 in 89 minute after being 2-1 up. Most good managers were mediocre players so I guess he will be great that;s how it works right?
Personally I would like to see Hughton as manager because he;s likeable.

I still haven’t forgiven him for his penalty miss. And his face.

I think England need to figure out what kind of team they want to be and then pick a squad and first XI around that philosophy. 4-4-2 and keep it simple.

Can’t be all bad if he left Wilshere of the squad. But hard to judge him until you see what he does in the World Cup.

Last edited:
I think England need to figure out what kind of team they want to be and then pick a squad and first XI around that philosophy. 4-4-2 and keep it simple.

Can’t be all bad if he left Wilshere of the squad. But hard to judge him until you see what he does in the World Cup.

Apart from one blip we have always been shite at competition football and have the full record to back that up.
Gareth seems like just the man to continue that proud tradition.

Did a decent job for the while steadying the ship and getting the team actually wanting to play with and for each other. But let's not forget that he's done absolutely nothing in club management and got sacked at Middlesbrough. Would love to see Wenger in the role now - Someone that will get the most out of all of our attacking talent, which we have plenty. To only score 3 goals in 4 Nations League games which includes two games against Denmark and one against Iceland has taken some doing by Southgate.

Did a decent job for the while steadying the ship and getting the team actually wanting to play with and for each other. But let's not forget that he's done absolutely nothing in club management and got sacked at Middlesbrough. Would love to see Wenger in the role now - Someone that will get the most out of all of our attacking talent, which we have plenty. To only score 3 goals in 4 Nations League games which includes two games against Denmark and one against Iceland has taken some doing by Southgate.

2 x pens + 1 x deflection.

Dreadful.

Playing 5 at the back, two holding midfielders who can't unlock defences, then bringing on Henderson who is like the two already on the pitch. Which leaves only 3 creative/scoring players, marooned up front.

Never going to score playing like that.

Fucking Gary. He picks lineups based on tomorrow's tabloid headlines and is playing to keep his job and that is about it. I'm sure he feels like a big boy after not bowing to pressure from Johnny Foreigner to not play Kane in meaningless friendlies.

Kane was a nailed on for 90 minutes regardless of the result or injury. His ego is embarrassing considering his managerial pedigree and with everything going on in the world of Big Picture football, he typifies everything wrong with football. Zero common sense and is either out of his depth or playing for a golden handshake.

The guy is totally out of his depth at this level and floundering badly. He struggled at club level management but became the FA's equivalent of OGS at United, the soft and easy option.
He knew all the right people and wouldn't embarrass at media level. Unfortunately as is so often the case with such a selection, they win you fuck all.

Back
Top Bottom