Gareth Southgate

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Read an article on him this morning and made me wonder what people's thoughts are here of him? He still seems to alienate opinion somewhat. His record, below, can't really be criticised. It's right up there -

Games: 64
Won: 41
Lost: 10
Goals for: 131
Goals against: 41

That's over two goals a game, while also being excellent defensively. I think we all know that at times we should be better at the other end of the pitch considering the players he has at his disposal, and he's yet to get anything like the best out of the likes of Foden, Mount and Sancho etc.

People also say he got lucky in the draws in regards to reaching the World Cup semi-final and then the Euro final in London, which is true to an extent. But in the World Cup we managed to beat Sweden who we had a woeful record against, and also actually managed to win a penalty shootout which is something that stays with you. Progress was definitely made and in the Euro's we beat Germany, who are still a very good side even if they're not quite what they have been, and beat what became a fancied Denmark side that were playing out of their skin at the time. And even against Italy, who just recently lost their first game in a very, very long time, we only lost on penalties and weren't beaten in normal or even extra-time. They edged us basically, which I think came down to experience more than anything else.

I think more than anything though, he's created an amazing team spirit within the group that few managers would have been able to achieve. It's genuinely the most likeable England side since the 90's for me,

Content with him but I think a better/more attacking coach gets more out of this England team having said that would there be such a togertherness in the camp if he wasn't in charge?...doubt it

Hard to be critical of him really, got us to a WC Semi and Euro Final which is an infinite amount better than any other manager in recent years has got us although I don't think he has what it takes to get us over the line.

Content with him but I think a better/more attacking coach gets more out of this England team having said that would there be such a togertherness in the camp if he wasn't in charge?...doubt it

Hard to be critical of him really, got us to a WC Semi and Euro Final which is an infinite amount better than any other manager in recent years has got us although I don't think he has what it takes to get us over the line.

He's still a young manager all said and done, and hopefully he learns from his mistakes. I think everyone was concerned about our defence but he's actually made us into a very hard side to beat and a hard one to score against. The two we conceded in the Euro's, one was a brilliant set-piece by Denmark and the other a fortunate goal by Italy that bounced for them, and again from a set-piece (corner) if I remember correctly.

I definitely think he can take off the leash a little bit though as we should have an attack that can strike fear into anyone.

He's still a young manager all said and done, and hopefully he learns from his mistakes. I think everyone was concerned about our defence but he's actually made us into a very hard side to beat and a hard one to score against. The two we conceded in the Euro's, one was a brilliant set-piece by Denmark and the other a fortunate goal by Italy that bounced for them, and again from a set-piece (corner) if I remember correctly.

I definitely think he can take off the leash a little bit though as we should have an attack that can strike fear into anyone.

I'll admit, the margins for him are very fine - after the group stage in the Euro's I was happy for him to be gone and someone else come in but when the Euro's were over I was happy for him to stay lol

I've never seen a bunch of players this together for England which is great to see, just annoys me that he chooses to play safety first football with this generation of players who can play on the front foot and are coached to take risks and be brave on the ball by their club coaches.

He's the most successful England manager since Ramsay. Still a bit timid and defensive for my liking but you have to give him credit where it's due.

I would still like to see this England squad with manager like Klopp or Pep and they could really do something. But Gareth is what we have and if he can be a bit more progressive in his selection and attacking in his thinking he might be able to actually win a trophy.

Find myself agreeing.

He's done very well with aspects of the job; but tactically left wanting when it came to the crunch in both tournaments.

People will say it's harsh (which it would be), but I think if he doesn't win the WC he should step down and let someone else have a crack with these players, before the likes of Kane, Sterling and Walker start to wind down.

Back
Top Bottom